Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Add!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dunno what I'm acheiving by writing this, but I just hope it helps if I get it off my chest...

Both my mum, and my sister, have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I however, seem to be the only 'normal' person in the family, with the exception of my dad (he seems to have given me the 'normal gene'). However, my mum seems to think that I may have ADD - a different form of ADHD. But I would never have thought that in a million years... until, I realise that it sounds about right. ADD is ADHD without the hyperactivity - it's the opposite of hyper - shy, retired, social anxiety.

Woah. I dunno what to think now. I thought I was just 'different' to the rest of my family, because I was always the shy one, the nervous one. But now, it seems there may be an explanation for it all.

Are there any people in here, that know someone with ADD? or ADHD? or does anyone here suffer from the condition?

I'm not expecting replies, just needed to write that somewhere :) thanks.

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    you should check out this link:-
    http://www.add.org/ :)
  • Options
    ADD and ADHD are those types of things that you hear about quite often (well I do because my mum is a behaviour support teacher and she comes across kids with them) But I never really give them much thought. Don't really understand what they are to be honest. Feel crap being so ignorant about it. :confused:
  • Options
    both me, my sister and my brother suffer with ADHD. my other brother and sister dont. what do you want to know about it??
  • Options
    one of my mates (when i was about 9) had ADD, i dont remember much about it but i remember her not taking her medication, oh that was both scary and something to make you giggle at the same time...i dont seem to think you have it cos this girl was really dependant on her pills and if she didnt take them it was really obvious...you seem to be fine without them non?
  • Options
    Amira wrote:
    i dont seem to think you have it cos this girl was really dependant on her pills and if she didnt take them it was really obvious...you seem to be fine without them non?

just because he isnt depenant on pills dont mean that he aint got it!! my bro has never yaken them and my sis took them for a while and is now off them, whilst i have been on them for ages! there are different severities, some people need tablets and others dont!
  • Options
    i dont believe adhd exists personally, they say its not the persons thought but neurotransmitters yet have no chemical ways of dealing with that just sound like regular good parenting... bit suspicious really

i saw the psychological guide to diagnosis, seems like 90% of the young person population

and the drugs, well they turn u into a zombie
  • Options
    i dont believe adhd exists personally, they say its not the persons thought but neurotransmitters yet have no chemical ways of dealing with that just sound like regular good parenting... bit suspicious really

i saw the psychological guide to diagnosis, seems like 90% of the young person population

I suggest you actually learn something about it before believing something that fucking stupid.

Of course it fucking exists. Milliions of people suffer with the disorder, it's not about bad fucking parenting. Urgh, that's so fucking closed minded and arrogant.

Go and actually learn about it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options

Yea but they used to say dislexia didnt exist and that it was just lazyness and stupidity. If you actually take the time to learn about it you'll be suprised what you find out.
  • Options

Just because Luby says she likes blokes who can speak their minds or whatever crap it was doesn't mean that you should go into a thead of people, some of whom have ADD/ADHD and one of whom is seemingly worried about it and start spouting your usual stupid shite about it. Get some tact :|
  • Options
    woah relax, i also have my suspicions about how ADHD/ADD is classified, in america they widely prescribe drugs to kids who don't pay attention in class etc, saying they have attention disorders, when in fact they are just kids..........obviously some cases are more extreme than others, and in some instances there may be a case for medication but i think this whole thing is blown up, like expecting kids to behave like adults and if they don't drug them up, it's quite worrying........did anyone see the simpsons tonight, they diagnose bart with ADHD, was quite funny.........i also read somewhere that ADHD is more prevalent in kids who watch a lot of TV at an early age, there are a lot of studies to show TV is too fast for your brain to process and bombards you with too much info when the brain is still developing, and heavy use can actually make you hyper........when you switch the telly off your brain is still going at 100mph and the normal world seems slowed down........but placebo does have a point about the diagnosis i think, these days they try to give a name for everything and anything, and then solve it with drugs, when in some cases it's quite normal behaviour.
  • Options
    Yes, he thinks he may have a point, but implying that bad parenting was the reason why kids have ADHD is just not acceptable.

And, ADHD has nothing to do with how much telly you watch as a child. :lol: It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, not the speed at which it is taught to work.

I most probably have ADD Inattentive as opposed to ADHD with hyperactivity, and my parents had done a fine job. I resent what Chris said about bad parenting, because my parents are fucking brilliant people who have taught me well.

People shouldn't make judgements about things they know nothing about. Simple as. Ilora x
  • Options
    I remember a guy who has ADHD in a unit where I was when I was sweet eighteen.
  • Options
    just a Q, for wheresmyplacebo, if it was down to bad parenting why would only 3 of the 5 of us have it?? surly if it was down to bad parenting my other brother and sister would have it 2! i resent that you say it dont exist!! do you really think i want to act this way? have great difficulty in doing everyday things, because i cant concentrate for long enough, be 'drugged' up 2 be able to compleat emy school work??
    i think that you are a twat and need to learn something before you open ur big fucking mouth!!
  • Options
    soz about the rant but it really pisses me off when people say stuff they no nothing about, i hate people like tha! anyway rant over!
  • Options
    ADHD has nothing to do with how much telly you watch as a child. :lol: It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, not the speed at which it is taught to work.

i was not stating it as fact more as a suggestion, why else do you think it has come from nowhere and becoming more prevalent in kids, at a time when kids are glued to the box, all i'm saying is it didn't come from nowhere.........

and yes it may well be a chemical imbalance, do you know how neuro-chemicals are formed in the brain? i've read a few books, hell tv can change your brainwave patterns, it's not that outlandish to suggest it can trigger the release of neuro-chemicals.........my little bro watches far too much telly and when he's not vegetating he is quite hyperactive and goofy, i think this is a result of telly as he was not like this a few years ago when he wasn't allowed to watch tv, in fact he was completely the opposite quite a sensible chap, still is at times..........again im not stating this as fact more of a hypothesis........
    People shouldn't make judgements about things they know nothing about. Simple as. Ilora x

no argument there............
  • Options
    just a Q, for wheresmyplacebo, if it was down to bad parenting why would only 3 of the 5 of us have it?? surly if it was down to bad parenting my other brother and sister would have it 2! i resent that you say it dont exist!! do you really think i want to act this way? have great difficulty in doing everyday things, because i cant concentrate for long enough, be 'drugged' up 2 be able to compleat emy school work??
    i think that you are a twat and need to learn something before you open ur big fucking mouth!!

if 3 out 5 of children have a chemical imbalance surely this tells you its something they might just have which theyre supposed to grow out of which isnt a bad thing

and noones said how im wrong about how can behavioural therapy works wen they blame it on neurotransmitters

i read the diagnosis guidelines in uk and seriously any child who is not like that is the odd one out

ps - illora, didnt mean to offend u like that, sorry! so youre almost 19 how does it show in you? noone likes concentrating on things they arent too interested in and even things they are. its called willpower - how do u think i learn thermodynamics THE dullest topic on the face of the earth
  • Options
    if 3 out 5 of children have a chemical imbalance surely this tells you its something they might just have which theyre supposed to grow out of which isnt a bad thing

i dont really understand what you are on bout here!! but i have already been told, that im not gonna grow out of it! they sa that if you are going to gro out of it you will by the age og 16, im nearly 18!! and if you read the original post it says that here mum and her sister have just been diagnosed with it, so how can t be something you grow out of!! so read up on it & get your facts straight!!
  • Options
    i dont really understand what you are on bout here!! but i have already been told, that im not gonna grow out of it! they sa that if you are going to gro out of it you will by the age og 16, im nearly 18!! and if you read the original post it says that here mum and her sister have just been diagnosed with it, so how can t be something you grow out of!! so read up on it & get your facts straight!!

youre just ranting though, so from your personal experience of what makes it make a person seem different?
  • Options
    ps - illora, didnt mean to offend u like that, sorry! so youre almost 19 how does it show in you? noone likes concentrating on things they arent too interested in and even things they are. its called willpower - how do u think i learn thermodynamics THE dullest topic on the face of the earth
    Omg, you still think that we're making it up, that we're all hypochondriacs and that we're lazy!!

ADHD exists, whether you agree with that or not. It is a neurological condition that DOES affect millions of people all over the world.

And, I do not like the way you asked me "so youre almost 19 how does it show in you?" because quite frankly, it's none of your goddamn business. I do not have to justify myself to someone like you. I'll do that, when I go for a professional diagnosis, and not before.

And for your information, MR PERFECT, it's not at all about fucking WILLPOWER. It has nothing to do with willpower, because if you actually new about ADHD in the slightest you know that AD/HD sufferers are naturally impulsive and are actually physically unable to concentrate due to the neurological differences in their brain. So, it is not as easy as you think. We are not all like YOU. We are all different.

Again, go and get a book out of the library. Atm, I'm reading "Treatment Options and Coping Strategies for Adult Attension Deficit Disorder" by Kevin R. Murphy Ph.D.... Maybe you should read it too. Maybe then you'll stop being so arrogant to think that you're better than people like us.

Ilora x