Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Birth Control

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(bet this ones been done a hundred times...but I couldn't really find answers) :p

First of all, I'd like to ask about condoms ... 1) For the regular condom users, on average about how many break for you?
2) Can you tell when they break (maybe hear a noise)?
3)What do you DO if they do break?

Now Birth Control Pill... 1) I'm a teenager, I still live with my parents, but if I am able to make it to a clinic (which I am able to do) would they help me in getting birth control?
2) About how much would it cost?
3) (maybe a silly question but..) Will taking Vitamins affect the pill?

Okay, I think those are all my questions(...seems like there were a hundred more though)

:) :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Birthcontrol

Ok so the low down with condoms...sometimes they slip. I've never had one break on me thou. I just went to my universities health center I got three packs of free birthcontrol, a pap test, and a prescription for a years worth of ortho tricyclin Lo...however becareful when they give you your birthcontrol when you go. The pill I'm on has horrible side effects for my body I've gained 10 pds :banghead: in a month and a half as well as horrible ache bloating the size of a watermelon... and I never had these problems before. So good luck! Also its a good idea into looking for condoms that have spermicidal lubricant just incase it does slip...or rip/break. But for sure get on birthcontrol. Play it safe!

Good luck :wave:

SexyCandi04
  • Options
    1. Condoms should break only very rarely, if they are put on correctly. Remember to pinch the end to squeeze the air out of the reservoir.

2. Not really, you can feel semen inside you though.

3. You go to your doctor and get emergency contraception.

Are you in the US? Bear in mind that this website is based in the UK and aimed at UK residents, so we don't know how much stuff costs Stateside. In the UK a doctor's surgery or a FPC would give you the contraceptive pill, and this would be free-of-charge. No, vitamin supplements do not affect the reliability of the contraceptive pill.
  • Options
    Ilm wrote:
    (bet this ones been done a hundred times...but I couldn't really find answers) :p

First of all, I'd like to ask about condoms ... 1) For the regular condom users, on average about how many break for you?
    2) Can you tell when they break (maybe hear a noise)?
    3)What do you DO if they do break?

Now Birth Control Pill... 1) I'm a teenager, I still live with my parents, but if I am able to make it to a clinic (which I am able to do) would they help me in getting birth control?
    2) About how much would it cost?
    3) (maybe a silly question but..) Will taking Vitamins affect the pill?

Okay, I think those are all my questions(...seems like there were a hundred more though)

:) :chin:

1) I've had one break on me. condoms are 99% effective, which means 1 in 100 will fail.
    2) generally i think the female body covers the sound, and sex is noisy enough to also, i never heard a noise.
    3) If they break, you get yourself down to an FPC to recieve a free morning-after pill that will stop you from gettin pregnant. or you go to Safeways or Tesco, yet you may have to pay for them if they don't participate in the free scheme, in which case it would be about £30. You do not rely on MAP, as they are detrimental to your body if too many are taken in a year. they are a huge dose of hormones, it jus ent healthy to take too many.

Pil:
    1) yes, even your doctor can prescribe you birth control without your parents knowing. the pill is also not the only thing they can describe, there are other methods too. for example, it is easier to hide an implant or having an injection once every 3 months than taking the pill daily. but sometimes these arent recomended if you're still growing.
    2) it's free. its on prescription that you dont have to pay for.
    3) i dont know. but i seriously doubt it. the pill information leaflet that comes with your pack will tell you if there is a problem.
  • Options
    CONDOMS-
    1. :yes: it has happened to me. although they are supposed to be the most reliable form of contraception, with a 99% sucsess rate, if used properly. most condoms which break or are not effective are because of people not knowing how to use them correctly.
    2. you don't hear a condom break :no: if your partner has cum inside you... rather than the condom... expect to be pretty messy - and thats how you will know.
    3. if you are using condoms as your sole form of contraception, and it breaks, you need to get the MAP within 72 hours of having sex.

THE PILL:-
    1. :yes: - they will help you. they will discuss the various forms of contraception with you. and they can set you up with some for free.
    2. as i said above, you can get help with contraception for free in the uk.
    3. :no: they won't if it's a normal multivitamin.
  • Options
    Oh wow :) All questions answered! Thanks so much! (planning for birth control soon, wish me luck!)
  • Options
    isabelle, are you in the UK?

I hope so, becaus eit's easy to get and it's free over here.
  • Options
    No I' m in the U.S. ... but I've heard it can be free here and I've heard you have to pay for it depending on where you go.
  • Options
    me and my boyfriend broke an extra safe condom once we were very proud of ourselves :yes: hehe but then we were doing it rather hard - first time we've had one break.
  • Options
    Ilm wrote:
    No I' m in the U.S. ... but I've heard it can be free here and I've heard you have to pay for it depending on where you go.

If you're in the US then the rules around confidentiality at clinics etc may well differ. Spend some time learning about contraception by reading our factsheets:

condoms

combined pill

Propgestogen-only pill