Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry in this is in the wrong place!!
i'm trying to buy insurance for my laptop, because i am going on holidays soon and i dont want to take my laptop uninsured! where can i get it from quite cheaply, and pretty soon as im off ina few weeks.
any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Options
    How much is it worth?

Check your travel insurance to see if that covers it.

Otherwise check your house insurance because lots have cover for items away from home.
  • Options
    endsleigh is good... esp. i you are a student. :yes:
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    How much is it worth?

Otherwise check your house insurance because lots have cover for items away from home.

im not sure how n=much it is worth"!
    we dont have house insurance because my mum is too scabby to buy it!!
    so that is why i have to get my own!
  • Options
    ahh ok. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about insuring a specific item like that without insuring everything else in the house.

Ring round some insurance places I guess, or get specific travel insurance cover for your valuable items.

some places eg

www.directline.com
    www.tesco.com
    www.churchill.com
    www.esure.com
  • Options
    you don't need to insure everything...
    insurance co. allow you to insure a pc or laptop seperatly to everything else...
    give endsleigh a call - trust me, they are good, esp. if you are a student.
    http://www.endsleigh.co.uk
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Can it not be covered in your travel insurance. Many people take expensive things abroad (like cameras for example) so your travel insurance may cover it. Instead of getting insurance straightaway I would give your travel insurance providers a call and see what they say.
  • Options
    Can it not be covered in your travel insurance. Many people take expensive things abroad (like cameras for example) so your travel insurance may cover it. Instead of getting insurance straightaway I would give your travel insurance providers a call and see what they say.
    Yep. They should be able to up your personal belongings cover for an extra premium, which may well work out cheaper than taking a separate policy for the PC.

Endsleigh aren't cheap and the cover is bare minimum.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    you don't need to insure everything...
    insurance co. allow you to insure a pc or laptop seperatly to everything else...
    give endsleigh a call - trust me, they are good, esp. if you are a student.
    http://www.endsleigh.co.uk

do you work for them or something? ;)

(yes, i know you save 10% with your NUS card :yes: )
  • Options
    thing is with travel isurance, people dont realise how little they get back in comparision to what they took if things get lost or damaged, its not pityful what you get, but considering a half decent digital camera is £200, a few nice sets of clothes can easily hit £150, and shoes @£30 a pair of trainers, then theres all the other things you take as well

i would recommend you get insurance in general for your laptop, will let you use it on this trip and have it in the future as well, as often it costs the best part of a new laptop just to fix something on a laptop that is damaged

and i dont think this is in the wrong forum to be honest, yes its a laptop thats wanting to be insured, but its the insurance bit that is the question, for all we care you could be wanting to insure a pet elephant, and we dont have a thread for that :P