Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Psu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does it matter what wattage my PSU is or does it have to be of a certain wattage for certain mobo's?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm. Depends.

I think for most chips these days you should be lucking at a 350 minimum. Then you have to consider your components. If you just have one disk drive and a bog standard graphics card you'll be fine with that, otherwise you should consider how many things that have to be ran by your PSU and add on appropriate power to support them. A 550W PSU would be a powerhouse of a machine that you could happily run a good few drives and accessories from no problem.

Added to that, consider the PSU quality. A 350W from a decent manufacturer will do you more good than a 500W cheapo job.
  • Options
    Ahh OK. I thought that I had to buy a certain wattage just in case it was to powerful and blew me up lol.
  • Options
    Ahh OK. I thought that I had to buy a certain wattage just in case it was to powerful and blew me up lol.

Nope. It won't be "too powerful" as the output is supplied across managed voltages. It could, however, be too small, in which case you might experience anything from nothing through random crashes through to blown PSU.
  • Options
    To small as in low wattage?
  • Options
    To small as in low wattage?

Yep.

Although you could also get one that would be too physically small, and therefore drop out of your case, but that would be unlikely.
  • Options
    Okie, dokie, I get ya. Cheers.