Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

passport to ireland?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do you need your passport to go over to ireland? (i.e. the rebublic of ireland). :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Nope, just photo id.
  • Options
    I went by ferry last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't check passports... :confused: On the other hand they might have and I didn't notice (got a bit freaked out in the carparky thing under the boat - clostrophobic :razz: )
  • Options
    If you are flying you will need a passport.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If you are flying you will need a passport.

No, you don't.
    Going between the Uk and Ireland doesn't require a passport.
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    No, you don't.
    Uk and Ireland don't require passports.

Getting on a plane does though. Last time I flew from Luton to Liverpool a passport was required.

Of course the law may have changed since then, but I would still take one anyway.
  • Options
    Just in case the others confussed you... No you don't need a passport,
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    No, you don't.
    Going between the Uk and Ireland doesn't require a passport.

True, you just need photo-ID.

But if you have a passport, it's just easier to take it isn't it? I took mine when I went to Dublin... and actually, it was thoroughly checked.

Edited to say - we flew Ryanair and the website says something about the ID that you need... dunno if that will help?
  • Options
    i think it's somethink like technically you are allowed with only photo ID, but they mostly ask for a passport because it's easier and they think people will have them.

my dad and uncle had a massive argument about this at christmas...
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Getting on a plane does though. Last time I flew from Luton to Liverpool a passport was required.
    Only to prove your ID.

otter, may as well take it. Unless you don't have one... :chin:
  • Options
    I flew to Ireland in the summer.
    My uncle went at xmas.

Neither of us have a passport. I took my provisional lisence, he took his work photo id. No problems.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    somethink

heh. How scummy. :p
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    heh. How scummy. :p

do you know, i didn't even notice that.

i am becoming common :(
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    do you know, i didn't even notice that.

i am becoming common :(

I blame this place :birthday:
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I blame this place :birthday:

i think it's probably my fingers being all crappy. i typed 'bum feet' earlier instead of 'bun feet' and didn't realise :o
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i think it's probably my fingers being all crappy. i typed 'bum feet' earlier instead of 'bun feet' and didn't realise :o

Neither of those sounds all that great. :nervous:
  • Options
    a photo id - like a student card???
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    a photo id - like a student card???

Almost definitely not I expect.

You would need some official sort of photo ID.

here's a quote
    All passengers must present valid photo identification at check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:
    A valid passport
    A valid Government issued National Identity Card issued by a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland.
    A valid European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence with photo presented by an EEA national IS ONLY ACCEPTABLE for travel on domestic flights i.e. internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes. N.B. Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between European Economic Area (EEA) countries. Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country. Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required in the following circumstances:
    Children travelling with an adult on internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
    Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.
    German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.
    In accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document issued by a Government in place of a valid passport is acceptable.
    Expired or damaged forms of photo-ID will not be accepted for any flight. Failure to present valid photo-ID matching the names on your reservation will result in your being refused check-in.
  • Options
    A valid European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence with photo presented by an EEA national IS ONLY ACCEPTABLE for travel on domestic flights i.e. internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
    sorted, why didn't i think of that earlier :chin:
    thanks btw.
    ETS: same on a ferry?
  • Options
    Why the fuck are you going to Ireland, you lucky bastard? ;(
  • Options
    I have been a few times and have taken a passport, then I have'nt been for a few years, i've not been asked for mine but if they do and you aint got one could be difficult.
  • Options
    My younger sister has asked me the same question the other day, but anyway you don't need a passport just ID such as a drivers licence or provisional.