Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice Needed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I'm fairly new here, so be nice to me!

I've just started having sex with my boyfriend (about 3 weeks ago) but I was so paranoid that the condom would break or something that I decided to go on the pill as a backup (belt and braces approach, if you see what I mean).

Obviously I couldn't start taking it until the first day of my period but my period this time has been kinda weird. I've been bleeding on and off for three days- I took my first pill on the first day. My period is never normally like this- I usually bleed for about 5 days straight and it's usually painful :impissed:

I don't really know what's going on. I'm not sure if I've done the right thing continuing to take the pill even though I'm not bleeding as normal. I'm also a bit concerned about why I'm not bleeding as normal- I think it's very unlikely that I'm pregnant or anything. I was feeling quite unwell for most of last week (temperature, etc) could that be it?

Sorry it's long, was just hoping sonebody could put my mind at rest/give me some advice.

Comments

• Options
    Hey, thanks for replying.

It's almost certainly not my pill causing it- I took my first one (ever) when I started to bleed three days ago.

However, it was on the exact day my period was due, so it's probably just a really light period, right?

If I wasn't worried about other things (i.e. paranoid about pregnancy, etc.) I'd probably be delighted!

I've never had unprotected sex and the condom's never broken (to our knowledge anyway) but what are the chances of sperm getting in some other way (fingering, etc)?

I'm worried now! Do you seriously think I could be pregnant? We've been so careful. Eek, panic.

Anyway, cheers for the advice
  • Options
    The hormones in the contraceptive pill often cause periods to be lighter and less painful. This side-effect means that the contraceptive pill is also used to help women who suffer from painful and heavy periods.

The hormone would, in fact, have an immediate effect on your menstruation. Although the hormones would not protect you from pregnancy immediately, that is because the hormone is not in your body in sufficient quantity not because it's not there at all.
  • Options
    If you used condoms and they didnt break plus you took the pill as directed then your chances of being pregnant are virtually nil.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I know I'm probably just being paranoid but I found this on a website just now:

This could be from sperm on fingers that touch the woman's genital area. It is important to remember that the penis leaks a few drops of semen (liquid containing sperm) as soon as it is hard, so there is a risk of pregnancy if the sperm enters the vagina, even if the man doesn't ejaculate.

There is a good chance that this could have happened, when I wasn't on the Pill. Although I know people who repeatedly have totally unprotected full sex and haven't got pregnant, so it would be bloody unlikely for me to get pregnant through a tiny drop of sperm on my boyfriends hands when he fingers me, right?

Argh, just panicking :shocking: . Will go to FPC on Monday and get tested to put my mind at rest, I guess.
  • Options
    You could do - and you could also go and get tested every single time your boyfriend shakes his trousers, just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    I know the feeling!

when you first start having sex you worry that anything could get you pregnant (Oh my god he looked at me I'd better do a test!!) Seriously its scary but over time you learn to chill.

As regarding the pill as others said its probably your body settling into the routine of the hormones so give it a chance to settle.

Good luck relaxing :)
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the advice guys, really appreciated.
  • Options
    Bombshell, you're fretting about nothing.

Unless your period is seriously overdue then you are almost certainly not pregnant. Your period came on time, end of discussion.