Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Get ready to point and laugh at the inept one....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you send an e-mail, what's the difference between the To: box and the Cc: box?

I know I must sound like a total idiot but I have no idea!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    To would be the main recepitent of the email.

CC is to carbon copy so an identical copy of the email is sent to others and BCC is blind carbon copy, the same process but others cannot see who else it was addressed to.
  • Options
    'CC' stands for carbon copy. This line gives you the opportunity to send your mail to a second person. Depending on the program you are using, you can CC to as many people as you like.

Some programs offer 'BCC' which stands for blind carbon copy. People who are entered on the BCC line will not know who the other people are on the mailing list. In contrary, the ones entered on the CC line will be aware of the whole list people that this email has been sent to.

F###! Got beaten to it. We both posted on the same F###ing minute!
  • Options
    Cheers guys - but what's the point of sending a copy to someone else in the Cc box? Why wouldn't you just send it to them normally?
  • Options
    Cheers guys - but what's the point of sending a copy to someone else in the Cc box? Why wouldn't you just send it to them normally?

Well, technically there is no difference, your emails sent to the CC and to the TO box will be sent in exactly the same way.

However, with a business type email generally what you would do is put ONE person, the person to whom the email is directly applicable, in the TO box, and put other people in the CC box that may benefit from reading the email but to whom perhaps the contents are not as important, or who don't have to act on the contents on the email.

Say for example you had 3 folk, tom, dick and harry. You want to send an email to Tom to say to him that he needs to turn the light off this week, and that dick and harry don't need to turn the light off. In that case you can put Tom in the TO box and dick and harry in the CC box.

So essentially the function of TO or CC allows your recipients to gauge how important an email is to them.

Some people therefore have rules on their mailbox that says if an email is just CCed to them then stick it in a less important folder.
  • Options
    Don't quote me on this but I think it's from 'the olden days' when people used to write a letter to somebody (say Bill from accounts messed up) informing them they messed up. A physical carbon copy would also be sent to Bill's supervisor etc etc,