Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fundamental shift in mentality.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
don't post on here that often anymore i have swung to the p+d forum recently, however in the light of recent events there is no better place to go, so.......

i've been smoking weed about 4 and a half years now (never touched a fag btw), more heavily for the last 2 years (prolly has something to do with uni being in shit location, no nightlife etc so mostly out of boredom and escapism) but it does go up and down, rarely go a day without it and the longest stretch i could remember without was 5 days, which shows how addicted i am.........stopped dealing about 8 months ago, however over the last 2 months the usage has gone up quite a bit, maybe 2/3 8ths a week, which i now can't afford and not practical with final year of studies being the hardest..........thought about quitting several times, which isn't easy when your social circles revolve around stoners and uni is a hotbed of drugs lol........but never really made a conscious effort, guess i enjoy it too much, every birthday i kinda think am i getting too old for this shit.........i'm 20 atm btw.

anyways, i went home last week in the knowledge i can't score there so thought this would be good to get a break, that was it...........came back after 8 days and felt instantly wary about the availability of drugs, and not sure why, a part of me must want to let it go........so i had a few puffs that night and the following day with friends, thought i would re-adjust as usual but ended up feeling quite ill and hungover the next day, and the physical act of smoking felt really dirty, like worse than the first time if that's possible..........i'm usually quite weak and if mates come round with weed that's the end of story but recently i've felt really anti-smoking, it's hard to describe it's not like i'm trying to quit but all of a sudden i don't want to smoke, which is weird as this is a big habit.........i feel like i've had a definite shift in my mentality about smoking, and not through any conscious thought, i am torn on this..........i find this v weird, but it feels permanent this time, and i don't know how i know but i do.......has anyone else had this happen to them?.......i dunno if this applies to class a's, which i only use v rarely anyways, but this is just so random i have all this time on my hands....... :nervous: , lol i guess it's a good thing, doesn't feel normal at all right now tho and in a way i feel more stoned being sober.......several ppl have commented that i am a different person, and that i have lost noticeable weight in the last week even tho i have been stuffing myself............what is going on?......i never thought it would end like this.

Comments

• Options
    I'd say its fairly straight forward, you've been thinking about stopping for a while, and your visit home gave you the perfect chance to do so.

When you had the chance to clear your head a bit you've realised it wasnt doing you any good and dont want to go back.

Its quite common for this to happen if you go through a period of smoking a lot, you go off it, dont enjoy it and then stop or drasticly cut down for a while.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I had a break from smoking puff a fews years back then when I did go back to smoking I found I really wasn't that fused about it.
    I very rarely smoke any now - usually only when I'm on class A's or after the pub.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i guess i just thought it would be dead hard to quit, esp after 4+ years, that's why i never got around to it...........but yeah my body has prolly had enough, that was true after a year tho.......im just amazed that i'm not tempted at all, not a bit........is it this easy? mind you this might have to do with the explosion in my throat, its actually hard to breathe atm so been popping lozenges constantly......and not sure if it's related but i've gone off drink for now as well, which i never considered to be a problem......weird.
  • Options
    i sometimes don't have a smoke for months as it gets boring.
    then i skin up and once again the inside of my head is decorated in neon.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    i guess i just thought it would be dead hard to quit, esp after 4+ years, that's why i never got around to it...........but yeah my body has prolly had enough, that was true after a year tho.......im just amazed that i'm not tempted at all, not a bit........is it this easy? mind you this might have to do with the explosion in my throat, its actually hard to breathe atm so been popping lozenges constantly......and not sure if it's related but i've gone off drink for now as well, which i never considered to be a problem......weird.

I can understand what you're saying...

I used to smoke a lot of soapbar, just taking bongs/buckets all day, i found that really hard on the body...really bad pains etc...and I was losing weight noticably.

As for your throat...I've had pains, unpleasant sensations and that sort of thing...it's deffo related.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    ...and I was losing weight noticably.

weird you should say that, i lost a stone in a week a while back when smoking soapbar, there must be some fucked up chemicals in that stuff.........never happened on skunk even with heavier dosage......

and i can't ever see myself smoking regular again, it's like i've been there, done that, time to move on.........today is double crap as i have the 'campus flu', could barely move today feels like a war going on in my body.

and the throat thing i have been told to expect, but i don't know for how long and if it takes longer to clear up the more you been smoking.........anyone been here before?.....it's day 12 and throat started playing up 3 days ago........
  • Options
    i have a quick question...ok so me and my friend are going to smoke weed tomorrow after school...and it'll b our first time...and everyone thinks that i've smoked before...ok so this is my question...i know that for some ppl it doesnt rly effect you the first time u smoke...but how do u act when u've smoked it for awhile??? well i'd greatly appreciate it if u could reply bak A.S.A.P...

thanx...Lauren :)
  • Options
    i have a quick question...ok so me and my friend are going to smoke weed tomorrow after school...and it'll b our first time...and everyone thinks that i've smoked before...ok so this is my question...i know that for some ppl it doesnt rly effect you the first time u smoke...but how do u act when u've smoked it for awhile??? well i'd greatly appreciate it if u could reply bak A.S.A.P...

get honest and own up to the fact you never smoked before.
    before ...you make a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    haven't really got sick of smoking yet, sometimes after a feg i'd be like "fuck this is a waste of time" but usually i'm not fused, haven't quit dope officially, certainly calmed down, gets boring just sitting in your mate's room toking all the time, just wrecks your head, mind you, wouldn't refuse a splif if it was handed to me now...
  • Options
    get honest and own up to the fact you never smoked before.
    before ...you make a fool of yourself.

This sounds like a bad thing to do, but its not, most smokers are quite happy to have a novice along, it makes them feel wise and mature, showing the youngster in the ways of the smoke etc.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    most smokers are quite happy to have a novice along, it makes them feel wise and mature, showing the youngster in the ways of the smoke etc.

A lot think it's funny to stitch them up too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Lauren, have you had a look at the factsheets on theSite? I would recommend you read the Cannabis factsheet, which has information about the risks, effects and the law. There is also a page on the reclassification of cannabis from class B to class C, but remember it is still illegal. There is more information about what could happen to you if you were caught on this page.

I would recommend you read our page on peer pressure as well.

What you are thinking about doing is illegal, potentially harmful to your physical and mental health, and you should find out as much as possible about it so you can make an informed choice. You could also show your friend this information so they can decide for themselves too. Take care.
  • Options
    Nice signiture LadyJade, I still cant quite believe he has gone.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    :crying: I know! The fact he dictated his terms right up to the end is admirable in a twisted kind of way...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    :crying: I know! The fact he dictated his terms right up to the end is admirable in a twisted kind of way...

The more I learn about how he was before the end the more I understand it, he never wanted to be old really, and certainly not a cripple, he'd just had both his hips replaced and broken his ankle.

Still, the world looses one of the sanest crazy voices its ever had.