Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

another question about the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my doctor told me that when i was going on holiday, it was safe to keep taking my pill instead of having a 7day break so that i didnt a period that month. the thing is, i do this quite a lot. probably evry few months. i just hate having my period so much that id rather just keep taking my pills and not have one. i dont do this every month. is it safe for me to do this or will contraception not work properly if i do. im on microgynon, the combined pill by the way.

Comments

• Options
    lauzt wrote:
    my doctor told me that when i was going on holiday, it was safe to keep taking my pill instead of having a 7day break so that i didnt a period that month. the thing is, i do this quite a lot. probably evry few months. i just hate having my period so much that id rather just keep taking my pills and not have one. i dont do this every month. is it safe for me to do this or will contraception not work properly if i do. im on microgynon, the combined pill by the way.

I was on the pill and done the same type of thing. After comin off the pill though, it messed up my periods. I took me atleast a year to get them all back on track, so it shouldn't hurt you, but it will really mess up the cycle if you do come off the pill!
  • Options
    generally it's ok to run pill packs together like that, but you should really just run it past your doctor to make sure.
  • Options
    I run packs together all the time, I run 3 packs together then have a break. Can I ask though, why do you hate your periods so much?

BTW, Falkirk, nice one :thumb:
  • Options
    As long as you don't run more than three together the general rule is that it's ok to do so, although some people may experience 'spotting' or break through bleeding when doing this.
  • Options
    god, you are all so knowledgable! i dunno why i hate my periods so much. i just seem to get really moody when i have my period and they're also quite sore
  • Options
    my friends just had to go on the pill while coming off of the injection and going onto the coil. she was given a reasonably new pill that is continuous, she never has a break, just takes one packet after another. im sure thats what she said. the packet had bout month & half/2months worth on it. couldnt tell you what it was called but if you dont like your period that much then id ask your dr bout it.
    why not go on something else, like injection or coil?? never have a period again then! :p
  • Options
    If you're taking your pill back-toback regularly, you should really consult your GP to check that it's OK.
    Or you could call the fpa:

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk
  • Options
    As already has been said, the general rule is no more than 3 packs together. But do check it out with your gp before you do it.

Personally I rarely run more than 2 packs together because I find my periods heavier when I do have it the more I run together.