Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parents breaking up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriends parents have just told him that they are separating, he seems fairly detached and says it doesn't really bother him but I think it does, he says he could see it coming. I want to be there for him but feel a bit crap as I don't know what the situation is like as my parents are still together. Anyone elses parents split up and how did you handle it? Does it make it worse if you are older? My boyfriend is 24 and I always thought that when you eventually get to that age and your parents are together they generally stay together, I know probably a bit naive of me.

Comments

• Options
    i've been through it twice.when you are older you can justify it better in your own head.its possible that it hasnt hit him yet. alternatively ,he may really be ok with it. as long as you are there with lots of hugs and cuddles and love you can't go far wrong xx
  • Options
    Just make sure that he knows that you are there for him and help him take his mind off it by treating him to day out and stuff. Ive been through it at the age of 22 and it is very difficult but you just learn to deal with it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's entirely possible that he's just OK with it. Mine divorced when I was 14 and I was fine about that. And if he's 24, they probably won't be fighting over him afterwards, so it probably will be ok.
    But if you say he seems not to be fine, you could be right. I don't know what to say about that though.
  • Options
    i dont remember when my mum and dad split up as I was only 4, but I remember my mum and stepdad splitting up when I was about 19/20 and that knocked me for 6. Im over it now and theyve both got partners again who are lovely and i still see my stepdad.
    Its all amicable, but yes it did hurt at the time. I cried a lot and was angry with him for what he did to my mum.
  • Options
    I'm 22 and my parents recently said they were getting divorced. I was upset at first, but it was hardly a big surprise. I think in a lot of cases like this, the parents stay together for the kids, and once they've moved out, they drift apart.

If you are no longer living at home, your parents divorcing has less direct impact on your life.

Just be there for him if he wants to talk, but it's not necessarily strange for him not to be that bothered.
  • Options
    My parents split up when I was 14 and it really didn't bother me much... He could just be fine with it. :confused: