Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

suicide

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i didnt really know where to put this, but i figured health was probably the best place. feel free to move it if you think another board is more suitable.

my flatmate Ian (one of my best friends) committed suicide last tuesday (the 8th). we found him in his room and it was horrible, the worst thing ive ever seen, i do not wish it on anyone. he had been locked in his room for 2 days but we only got worried towards the third day, as he often did this, as he liked a lot of time alone to work/read whatever. so when we realised that he'd been in there for over 48hrs and no one had seen or heard anything, we got worried and phoned the landlady to bring the keys to his room. at this point we all thought he just wouldnt have been in there, he'd been depressed before but had seemed a lot better this year, apart from becoming quite rude and slightly withdrawn...yet his happier times were more frequent. anyway the landlady sent her husband round with the keys and me and one of my other flatmates ben went up there with him, and well, Ian was dead. hanged. went into shock obviously...i dont really remember a lot of that night.
anyway the reason im posting is just for a bit of advice nd support really. ive actually been ok, been concentrating on the practical things like getting a room in halls temporarily, etc. i dont feel overwhelmingly sad, although i am definitely low, i cant really be bothered to do a lot of stuff, like uni work. im not angry or guilty or whatever, im just nothing. i feel like im kind of in limbo, waiting for it to hit me suddenly. ive only cried once, apart from on the night tself, and that was because i was drunk. and we havent had the funeral yet. im scared it all going to hit me suddenly and i wont be able to cope. we are back in the house now, and it's ok. im just...coping. im not really anything. is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    yeah it is hunny. when my best mate died (i thought he'd killed himself for 2 years until someone actually told me the whole story), i didn't believe it, i thought it was a very cruel joke, and i even started to see him around the place. I really couldn't cope. fortunatly i've had quite a few people in my life die, so i'm not all that freaked out by grief anymore, but it does knock you for 6, and you are allowed to jsut feel numb or whatever, you deal with it the way you need to. i did it very badly by keeping it all inside and making myself a little ill about it, but the situation he died in was very odd and i found out that he was effectively murdered by my mum's best friend and many things were left unexplained about it and still are, but you have to deal with it what ever way feels best. talk about it, let it all out.
    sorry this might not of helped but i tryed....
  • Options
    thanks, im glad im not the only one, although all my other flatmates have reacted in the same way. it's just that at the moment im not doing any uni work and ive started drinking on my own again, purely to get to sleep, but when it hits, it's going to hit hard and i do NOT want to fuck up my life, i dont want to have to leaveuni or have the hell of an alcohol problem again, because i know thats the last thing ian would have wanted.
  • Options
    thanks, im glad im not the only one, although all my other flatmates have reacted in the same way. it's just that at the moment im not doing any uni work and ive started drinking on my own again, purely to get to sleep, but when it hits, it's going to hit hard and i do NOT want to fuck up my life, i dont want to have to leaveuni or have the hell of an alcohol problem again, because i know thats the last thing ian would have wanted.
    waiting for it to hit can sometimes be futile ...it rarely hits with a big bang ...it starts picking on you ...then pushing you around ...and then swiping at you and landing punches ...all the time your coming apart at the seams slowly ...whilst waiting for the wroong thing.
    your numbness is a feeling ...a reaction. probably your drinking and lack of will ...your already hurting.
  • Options
    talk to your other housemates. and really try not to drink on your own. try and talk it out don't drink it down....
  • Options
    Talk to someone, its already gonna hurt in ways you won't realise. Talking is the only way to help really that and time. My dad killed himself & although i never actually found him it was hard. I also locked it up inside me & i didn't deal with it until years later.
  • Options
    how utterly crap. hope you're doing ok.

i guess feeling numb and strange and weird is the first stage. i know everyone reacts differently to these things. it doesn't always hit hard after that - you can stop that from happening. the best way is to talk. talk as much as you can about it. to your flatmates if you feel you can. or possibly to a counsellor, or outside person. the counsellor is probably the best bet, cause you can say anything, even things that might upset or shock your friends. you probably have this whole mass of weirdness, and mixed up feeling, and you can either leave it inside (where you get the hitting hard bit) or just let it out. talk, cry, scream, hit pillows, laugh. whatever it takes. but nothing that will hurt you. i think you already know the drinking is a bad idea.

one broken life is enough. don't let it break yours too.
  • Options
    Hi, don't know if this helps.... I found my Dad passed away on Christmas Eve morning in 1999. He had been ill for a while, but it was still one hell of a shock. I coped with the arrangement and helped my brother and Mum through it and after two weeks went back to work. About 3 weeks later it really hit me, I couldnt get his face out of my mind, lying there dead. I went and seen a Doctor and she was great, I kept seeing her for about 5 weeks and one bit of advice she gave me was.... try to remember all the good time I had with him, all the years of knowing him alive and not those moments in death.... it really helped me!
    It will always hurt you, but it does get better, trust me x
  • Options
    *hugs you*

There is no right or wrong way to feel when something like this happens in your life and you can find yourself going from feeling nothing at all to a zillion different emotions at once. Having lost a few people to me via suicide and accidents I can completely empathise with what you are going through but I really would urge you to try and find an alternative to drinking alone as your coping/dealing mechanism or you will simply fall into a whole other mess.

Talk to people, take comfort in your other mates, take time for yourself and eat properly and sleep plenty. Talk to your GP if this is taking it's toll on your health/ sleeping patterns/ anxiety. Talk to those close to you/ a counsellor/ the following helpline [CRUSE - Free, confidential advice and infomation for any young person affected by a death. Tel: 0808 808 1677] or write it all down to make sense of the situation and how you are feeling.

this TheSite article may also help

Take care of you, and as you know the boards are always here

Susie x
  • Options
    im really sorry this has happened, its ok to feel numb, but dont panic that its suddenly going to become overwhelming. Drink wont help, so just take one day at a time.
  • Options
    i'm sure you haven't become a raging drunk but ...you are obviously aware that your drinking habbits are verging on the unhealthy.
    drink drugs and shock don't work together to your benefit.
    don't be alone with all this.
  • Options
    hope you are ok xx there are lots of phonelines you can try if you want to talk to someone- samaritans etc....in yello pages or on google.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, all that you've said has made sense to me. I have a doctors appointment on Tues so I will go then and basically say what I said here. At the moment I think I'm drinking just to get to sleep, as my sleep is awful at the moment, so maybe the doctor will have some suggestions. I've been to the uni counsellor but it was the one I saw last year who I really didnt get on with, so that was no help at all. However, I have an appointment on Tuesday evening with a community mental health nurse, so that may help. Once again thanks to everyone who replied xxx