Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Independent Front Page: Sexual Harassment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=612211
She alleged Mr Lubbers placed his hands on her waist, pulled her back towards him and pressed his groin into her at the end of a meeting with male colleagues in Geneva on 18 December 2003.

Over-reaction perhaps? Is it just me who thinks it's a little out of line and unproffesional but does it really constitute sexual assualt?

But then again, as soon as this story came to light an investigation was started and others all came to give their testimony:
Woman A told the OIOS she was invited to Mr Lubbers' home with others to discuss work. She said, instead, she was alone with him, and he wanted to discuss only personal matters while sitting close to her and touching her in a sexual way. She left quickly because she felt he was trying to go further and she became afraid.

Woman B described an incident at a UNHCR function at which Mr Lubbers grabbed and embraced her, pulling her body against his. She was shocked and embarrassed, and pushed him away.

Woman C said Mr Lubbers had attempted to grope her. She had pushed him back, and threatened to slap him if he attempted to do the same again.

Woman D said Mr Lubbers twice made unwelcome advances and asked her to come to his hotel. She said Mr Lubbers told her he was "feeling lonely".

In my opinion, I think in comparison to the sexual harassment lots of women have to put up with and don't get defended, that this is blown way out of proportion. The guy sounds a bit of a prick, lonely, and tries it on with women who he has a proffesional relationship with when he shouldn't. But surely spending so much time and resources investigating him is a waste?

And before anyone (you know who you are :p) accuses me of belittling sexual harrasment and making it out like it isn't a problem, I'm not. I just think that this isn't that bad compared to a lot of cases and to make the front page of the independent... Seems disproportionate.

Comments

• Options
    What would you think if he did it to you?

Personally I would have turned his lights off. :mad:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    What would you think if he did it to you?

Personally I would have turned his lights off. :mad:

But that's a guy. If a girl came up to me and was feeling my arms or grabbed my bum I'd be annoyed but I don't think I'd go as far as complain about sexual harassment. If she put her hands over my crotch and groped me deliberately and she knew I wasn't interested, then I would probably complain. But then again, it affects different people differently. Some people get upset at being called sexy, whereas some people are so used to gentle groping they more or less ignore it. In a proffesional environment there are boundaries of course, but a 15 page report, international and external legal advisors to the UN secretary general and front page news coverage seems a bit OTT, in my opinion.
  • Options
    But that's a guy. If a girl came up to me and was feeling my arms or grabbed my bum I'd be annoyed but I don't think I'd go as far as complain about sexual harassment. If she put her hands over my crotch and groped me deliberately and she knew I wasn't interested, then I would probably complain. QUOTE]

But you would complain/react, same thing just different level of reaction to my scenario as the accused is a woman and you the victim are male. tbh I would be angrier at a man harrassing a woman probably because of the power dynamics.
  • Options
    It's not harrassment. It's assault.
  • Options
    It's not harrassment. It's assault.

Isn't it both?
  • Options
    In theory yes.

Personally, I think that she has a very strong case, if those allegations are true.
  • Options
    Is it just me then who sees it as an overreaction?
  • Options
    Is it just me then who sees it as an overreaction?

Apparently so.....
  • Options
    Apparently so.....

Surely in our society we should be promoting tolerance, not that we should shout 'fire' at every opportunity - of course people should always have the ability to shout fire, just should think when it is necessary or not.

On another note - the guy is expected to face pressure to resign but does his seeming inability to keep his hands of women really change his ability to do his job? He was teh longest serving Dutch Prime Minister; he must do something right.
  • Options
  • Options
    Surely in our society we should be promoting tolerance, not that we should shout 'fire' at every opportunity - of course people should always have the ability to shout fire, just should think when it is necessary or not.

On another note - the guy is expected to face pressure to resign but does his seeming inability to keep his hands of women really change his ability to do his job? He was teh longest serving Dutch Prime Minister; he must do something right.

So, if some individual that you didn't find remotely attractive, and who had power over you as a colleague touched you up and rubbed against you, without any invitation, you wouldn't have any problem with it?

Me thinks you're being deliberately obtuse. This is the 21`st century old chap.

Can you see a problem with a 16 year old touching womens bums in the local park?

(clue - he got a few years for it- and is on the sex offenders register for life)
  • Options
    I suppose I see both of your points. Just on the face of it to me, didn't seem all that invasive...
  • Options
    Although it's possible, is it likely that a girl that did that to you would then overpower you and rape you? It can be absolutely terrifying when someone is harassing you or groping you. I don't see it as an over reaction any way, shape or form.
    :yes: And the sad thing is, a 'bit of fun' for the 'lads' (well, people not man enough to respect other people like an adult should) can constitute sexual harassment... I left a place of work because of it, it made me feel very ucomfortable about my sexuality and my body.

Actually I was waiting for somebody to come along and say "bloody man hating feminists!"
  • Options
    I don't think it's an over-reaction either.
  • Options
    I suppose I see both of your points. Just on the face of it to me, didn't seem all that invasive...

Huh?

If a bloke pushed his groin into me, he'd be lucky to get off with just a sexual harrassment accusation.

I really can't understand why you are so blase about this?

Without invitation a man took sexual gratfication from a woman, how can that be anything other than assault/harassment?