Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Transferring to another uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I just wanted to ask, has anyone here transfered to another university at some stage in their degree, for example after their first year? Does anyone know what sort of procedures you would have to go through in order to do this? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's possible, and depends a lot on the course and the universities. You'd have to talk to your personal tutor at your current uni and see what they say, and also contact someone in the department of your destination uni.
  • Options
    i got this off the prospects website - hope it helps. :)

* Identify what you want to do, and where you would like to do it.
    * Check on the availability of places.
    * Make an informal approach to the course admissions tutor to discuss the possibility of acceptance.
    * Marshall your thoughts and arguments beforehand so you sound coherent and clear about your reasons for change.
    * Be prepared to be persistent as tutors can be difficult to track down. You may need to write, phone, make an appointment, or e-mail before you manage to make contact.
    * Allow time to go through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) system if you are applying to a different institution. Particularly if you are applying after the closing date, contact the admissions tutor for the proposed course to see if your application would be considered before submitting your form.
    * It is essential that you notify your grant awarding authority of your changed plans. Seek current advice on fee regulations. Notify the Student Loans Company Limited if appropriate.
    * It should be possible to get credit for any work you have successfully completed and carry this forward to another course. Make sure you get a transcript of your academic credit before you leave.
    * If you decide very early on in the course (during the first few weeks) you might be able to transfer straight to another course provided there are places remaining and the tutor is prepared to accept you, but beware of making a decision to leave without giving your course a chance.
  • Options
    I'm probably about to do this, after my first year, because I hate it where I am, but until I've had a talk with my tutor on Tuesday I don't know much.
    I'll try to remember to come back here and tell you anything I know, though the above post seems to be very helpful.
  • Options
    it's better to talk to uni you want to go to FIRST, rather than your current uni... who could try to talk you around the decision... one you've got your offer of a place from the uni you want to go to - then, and only then, inform your current uni, and chat to your head of dept. because you'll need them to sort out the paper work. and there is little your curent uni will be able to do to stop you from going. if you need advice, from the uni you are currently at - seek it not from tutors, but from your careers centre. :)
  • Options
    though the above post seems to be very helpful.
    cheers! ;)
  • Options
    Yeah thanks that was very helpful :) Its still something I'm just thinking about at the moment but obviously I will have to make the decision very soon, I tried doing a search online to find out what the procedure was but without much success.

Thanks again :thumb:
  • Options
    I just wanted to ask, has anyone here transfered to another university at some stage in their degree, for example after their first year? Does anyone know what sort of procedures you would have to go through in order to do this? Thanks in advance.
    Hi, yeah I didn't transfer uni but I was at one uni, did six months, left, took a year out and reapplied again. If you are cosidering doing the same course as you were before, you can transfer your credits which may mean that you will be able to continue from where you left off - if you had done a year or something.

But, for me, I didn't as I was starting a new course. You do have to reapply again though, through UCAS. Then the uni may ask you for documents from the previous university (grades, course etc.)

Good luck.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    it's better to talk to uni you want to go to FIRST, rather than your current uni... who could try to talk you around the decision... one you've got your offer of a place from the uni you want to go to - then, and only then, inform your current uni, and chat to your head of dept. because you'll need them to sort out the paper work. and there is little your curent uni will be able to do to stop you from going. if you need advice, from the uni you are currently at - seek it not from tutors, but from your careers centre. :)
    The first place I went was my student support centre, and they were the people who suggested a transfer instead of just dropping out which was what I was planning on doing at the time, and they said the next place I needed to go was to my tutor.
    I can't imagine she's going to try to talk me into staying, but i don't mind if she does (if she has good reasons for me too) because I'm still open to suggestions.