Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Antiemetics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am petrified of feeling/being sick and haven't been for 8 years; recently I've been poorly with a virus and now I'm so scared of getting sick/returning to 'normal' life and becoming ill.

Do you think the doctor would prescirbe me antemetics to use if I did catch something which made me feel sick (i mean really sick- because I've felt naseuaous etc but use a combination of giner drinks/gum etc to get rid of the feelings)

Has anyone here been prescibred anytemetics (anti-sickness) drugs? Know anyone who has/had any experience of this?

I dont want to make an appointment and sound like an idiot;

Comments

• Options
    i've been prescribed stemetil and domperidone at varying times, but most GPs are monumentally unsympathetic towards fears and phobias.

the only reason i got them in the first place was because there was a pukey bug going round, and i was too scared to eat or drink properly and barely leaving the house. me and the doctor made a deal: he'd give me the anti-emetics and i'd try to eat. he did tell me in no uncertain terms that he thought i was being ridiculous though.
  • Options
    Really? Did they work? Do you still have them 'just in case'? I can't help thinking if I had them I would just feel so much better- same as u- I'm watching everything I eat/washing hands/avoiding people who have been ill/not having contact with kids etc etc if I had the tablets 'just in case' (I mean- i haven't caught anything for years and years- so I suppose the chance is slim- but If I knew I had 'medicine' to deal with it I could return to some sense of nomrality and not keep thinking and assessing everything I do/drink/eat/who I'm with every 5 mins for the risk of sickness!!)
  • Options
    i think they worked because i thought they would.

the power of suggestion is a powerful thing.
  • Options
    oh dear- I though thtye might rreally really work...mind you I suppose if they are medicine they must help in someway- and its the only option really? Have u been sick then or do you still deal with it?
  • Options
    they do work, but i had a pukey bug while i was taking them, and was still very nearly sick a few times (have become a master at fighting it). i've been told they work better on other kinds of illness though.
  • Options
    You don't necessarily need medication.

Ginger is useful for nausea. A convenient excuse for eating Ginger Nuts. :yes:
  • Options
    Yes, I've been through just about every herbal/natural thin gavailable for nausea; ginger and lemon tea/ginger/sipping water/eating the right kinds of food etc etc. Its just that I'm scared of being in Kaffrins situation and it appears that the antiemetics worked for her- she got a sickness bug- but wasn't sick!!

Not sure how to approach GP tho?
  • Options
    BTW- do they work like say you felt really badly ill/sick you would take them for a few days and then not take them again unless you felt ill? Cos like if I caught one of those bugs you dont exaclty have time to make a doctors appt and fetch a prescritption do you?!
  • Options
    notebookkt wrote:
    Its just that I'm scared of being in Kaffrins situation and it appears that the antiemetics worked for her- she got a sickness bug- but wasn't sick!!

i've had other sicky bugs while not being on anti-emetics and i wasn't sick then either, so i wouldn't take it as hard and fast evidence.
  • Options
    If your body is under threat from a tummy bug it will empty the stomach quicksmart. By the time you feel like you're going to throw up, an antiemetic isn't going to work. You can ask your GP if they'll prescribe prophylactic antiemetics, but as kaffrin says, they may not take your phobia particularly seriously. If you've had the virus, why do you think you're going to be sick now?
  • Options
    Because part of the virus made me feel nauseas and I am worried that once i get back into the swing of thing- into the bug race of school etc I will catch something- my blood tests showed my immune levels dropped twice very significantly. I've kept myself to myself for so long and now I realise that I will be succeptible to cathing things- and previously I just assumed I wouldn't catch anything because normally I dont...but now I'm kind of thinking...it might happen to me.

I'm still getting over the virus which could take years to get out of my system; and getting various symptoms of Post viral debility everyday.

How long do anti-emetics take to work?

What is a prophylactic antiemetic?

How did you get a sick bug but not get sick??
  • Options
    Have a chat with your GP. You might want to talk about your anxiety rather than fear of vomiting.
  • Options
    I'm confused now....

why would I want to go to my GP and talk about Anxitey when I am petrified of being sick? :crying:
  • Options
    notebookkt wrote:
    why would I want to go to my GP and talk about Anxitey when I am petrified of being sick? :crying:

because the problem is not that you're being sick, it's that you're scared you will be. disproportionately so. therefore the issue you need to tackle is the fear.
    How did you get a sick bug but not get sick??

it takes a lot to make me sick *touches all the wood in the house*. i had horrible nausea, dry heaves, stomach pains, diarrhea and a fever. everyone else with the same thing threw up lots.