Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

nostril piercings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who here has one, how was it done (needle or gun) and what jewellery did you start off with?

Comments

• Options
    Please dont get your nose pierced with a gun - that is not a good plan. Just saying :)
  • Options
    i would never have that done but i was just wondering what other people had theirs done with
  • Options
    I havent got mine done, but i know its sposed to be done with a needle not a gun.
  • Options
    i had mine done a few weeks ago, with a gun.
    they start off by putting an earing type thing in! now i have a small pink stud!
  • Options
    I don't have mine done but a reputable peircer would never do it with a gun, and run a mile if the peircer suggests it!
  • Options
    I had my nose pierced about 5 years ago, it was done with a needle. The only part of the body that can be done with a gun is the ear lobe, and many piercers won't even use a gun for that.
    The stud they first put in was a titanium twisty one where the pole was quite thick, and the stud is quite big. I changed it 4 weeks later to a thinner one with a bend in it, so the hole would heal smaller. Admittedly I probably changed it a bit early, but I was going back to school and the big stud was really noticeable.
  • Options
    I had my nose pierced around 6 years ago. I was 12 and didn't know much about piercing etiquette, thus it being done with a gun. I wore a titanium ear stud in it for around a year - I had numorous problems with it for a long time afterwards.

6 years later and it's nothing but a little hole. I wear small studs in it now - I just buy small intricate earrings and cut them down to size - I don't wear Nose Bones or Screws because my nose is too small.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Even ear lobes shouldnt be pierced with a gun!
  • Options
    I had mine done with a needle. It hurt more than my ears, probably less than my navel. They put a relatively large stud in first - about the thickness of the type of stud your ears get pierced with - and mine had quite a large end on as well, as in it stuck out from my nose rather than lying flat. It is absolute agony if you knock it and it comes out slightly, as the metal is twisted, so you end up with a corner in the hole if you see what I mean. I did that the first night I'd had it done. I changed it after maybe a week or 2 to a thinner, flatter stud which looked much, much nicer, however one night it fell out in my bed and I couldn't find it so it just closed up.

RE: guns; guns are a poor method of piercing because they are unhygienic as they cannot be washed. Therefore it is best even to get ears done with a needle. But any other piercing other than ears should DEFINITELY not be done with a gun because it basically just blasts through the skin as opposed to a needle moving it. This causes trauma to the skin and I would imagine swelling and keloids would be more likely to occur on the nose. Furthermore, the studs used with a gun are bigger and unbendable which frankly are quite impractical and ugly.
  • Options
    I had mine done when I was about 12 with a gun. Wasn't done by a qualified person. I mean the shop was called, 'Cheapers'. Need I say more :-/

Though saying that, I never did get any infections or trouble with it. Eventually had to take it out though as my school didn't approve of it and give me a load of grief over it. I found in the end, it wasn't worth it. Couple years later I got it done by the same place... but lasted like a month cause I got bored with it. I tend to do that with most of my piercings.