Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

alco cops.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have just been watching the alcohol patrols on the telly.
i see nothing like this stuff out in here in hicksville.
when i lived in the city it was nothing like it is now.
i can't agree with 24 hr drinking after watching young drunks rioting and be so animalistic.
any of you lot behave like this lot ...binging and brawling?

Comments

• Options
    tbh although it is a serious problem and getting worse, i think it is blown up out of proportion, i have been out a fair bit and never seen scenes like you do on the telly, they pick and choose the worst bits for sure.........i think it's all part of making things appear chaotic so someone will come along and give us some order.........and i think 24 hr licensing will help this along.........there are definitely problem areas tho, i've heard it's worse up north but as a southerner i can't validate that.........

ETA: there was a massive 30-man brawl in the su bar a few weeks ago, forgot about that so maybe there's some truth in this, was an isolated incident tho and we students are known for getting frequently mashed.
  • Options
    Hmm....I woulnd't say things have got worse in the time I've been going out. Some folk can handle their alcohol some can't like there's always been. Yes people binge drink a lot but thats not got any worse for years now, and if anything it's better than it used to be. Student nights encourage it. Charge a student £1 a drink and they'll drink loads, charge £3 a drink and they'll hardly drink anything.

But as for rioting, nah not particularly. Think I've only veer seena couple of fights where people have been glassed. Yeah there's plenty of little scraps but serious fights nah not really.
  • Options
    but the convictions for viliont abuse etc related to booze have rocketed.
    i was watching one scene where a young woman was knocking the crap out of a guy.
    are they just trying to scare me ...
    there were no drug riots for these police officers to get tooled up for.
  • Options
    I was out last week and quite early on in the night there was a fight in the pub, 8:30 ish it was.
    Anyways this lad was arseholed, he was f-ing and blinding in the pub (the pub was mainly couples) anyways a fella asked him if he could tone his language down because there were lots of women around.........the lad said 'fuck you' blah blah and then he was pounced upon by several people.

why im telling you this....I dunno, its all I can contribute at the moment :lol:
  • Options
    It's all about selective media coverage. Before I turned 18 there was a program about where I live with it supposedly being one of the worst places in the UK for binge drinking (well you have to when its not got any nightclubs and two "bars") and violence. However I've never seen any violence. The only damage I've had done is to myself in drunken accidents ;)
  • Options
    i watched that programme, it makes me even more angry when people stick up for drink and diss cannabis, i know the problem is over-blown and i know you can go out on a friday or saturday night without feeling intimidated but it just looks awful, i've been known to get into some messes myself but i never become violent, these people need a head check or something, make love not war.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i watched that programme, it makes me even more angry when people stick up for drink and diss cannabis, i know the problem is over-blown and i know you can go out on a friday or saturday night without feeling intimidated but it just looks awful, i've been known to get into some messes myself but i never become violent, these people need a head check or something, make love not war.
    'don't drink and fight ...smoke and fly'.
    the kind of advertising that the brewers and distillers would hate to see become a reality one day.
  • Options
    it isnt students these days however, these days its people who are in full time work but are yet tto move away as such since cost moving out is too high thus they have a higher dispoabable incomes, and usually too broke to get that drunk in somewhere like greece etc, strange our government never complained then....

you can tell students wen we do go oout on a bender, trusts me ;)
  • Options
    the people that get violent were probably like it before though..... they dont seem like theyd be particulary stable normally
  • Options
    the people that get violent were probably like it before though.....

exactly, alcohol only releases you from your inhibitions, so if you're a nasty person chances are it will show when your pissed........altho stella does have a reputation for releasing more aggression than most beers.....binge drinking doesn't make you violent unless you're that way inclined, i don't drink often but i do binge drink i spose, not like these lasses you see downing 10+ pints in an night tho...