Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Protecting Labour Scum

It's with great delight that I see that Northumbria Police are spending nearly £3million on security for the labour Spring Conference, to be held in Gateshead next week.

Story.

Among other things, roads will be shut to pedestrians, and they will have to use "convenient" shuttle buses instead of walking across the Tyne Bridge.

What a waste of money, and what a waste of time. If labour want a conference, they should pay for it themselves, and honest law-abiding people in Newcastle and Gateshead should not have to pussyfoot around the rabid dogs that Labour Party conference delegates are. If they're too scared of "terrorists" then they shouldn't be holidng the conference but, as I suspect, what it is really about is preventing the people of this country from holding legitimate protest.

After all, now you have to ask permission to hold a protest in gateshead; of course, you can hold one on the other side of the river, but what use is that?

Police state, what's one of those? This country and this government seriously scares me, and anyone who votes Labour in the general election is a deeply foolish person.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My friend has just been telling me about how she was approached by a policeman with a machine gun when coming home from work today. And when I was in Newcastle earlier today I saw at least 50 members of the police force standing around doing sweet FA. :yeees:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    today I saw at least 50 members of the police force standing around doing sweet FA. :yeees:
    Me too.

More money for the North East is no bad thing though.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Me too.

More money for the North East is no bad thing though.

Didin't say it wasn't, but I'm sure many of them were unnecessary and they could have been solving real crimes, like erm... finding the person who stole your bike? :razz:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's with great delight that I see that Northumbria Police are spending nearly £3million on security for the labour Spring Conference, to be held in Gateshead next week.

Story.

Among other things, roads will be shut to pedestrians, and they will have to use "convenient" shuttle buses instead of walking across the Tyne Bridge.

What a waste of money, and what a waste of time. If labour want a conference, they should pay for it themselves, and honest law-abiding people in Newcastle and Gateshead should not have to pussyfoot around the rabid dogs that Labour Party conference delegates are. If they're too scared of "terrorists" then they shouldn't be holidng the conference but, as I suspect, what it is really about is preventing the people of this country from holding legitimate protest.

After all, now you have to ask permission to hold a protest in gateshead; of course, you can hold one on the other side of the river, but what use is that?

Police state, what's one of those? This country and this government seriously scares me, and anyone who votes Labour in the general election is a deeply foolish person.

scares me too, but to many people jobs come first, and labour look after the economy whilst the current tory policy would probably piss it down the drain

so bloody pointless sometimes it seems
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    My friend has just been telling me about how she was approached by a policeman with a machine gun when coming home from work today. And when I was in Newcastle earlier today I saw at least 50 members of the police force standing around doing sweet FA. :yeees:
    Well, don't people complain about not enough coppers on the streets? There you have them!

:p
  • Options
    Obviously Tony and the gang are learning more than how to pump up UK defence industries from their neo-con bedfellows across the pond.
  • Options
    When Tony Blair visits the north east they FIND the money to clean the shopping centre, put flowers around the area he will be walking around, slap the paint on to make it look nice, clean all the pigeon shit off the floor.........so why cant they find the money to do this all year round and not just because he is visiting ?

It really annoys me that they make the place he is visiting look nice but as soon as he leaves it gets back to the same shithole it normally is.

and also the amount of money they can find to police things like this, well why cant they find the money when its bloody well needed :mad:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Didin't say it wasn't, but I'm sure many of them were unnecessary and they could have been solving real crimes, like erm... finding the person who stole your bike? :razz:
    And now the Tyne bridge is closed to pedestrians and there are even more cops standing around looking bored.

And the f-ing traffic was so bad this morning that I was so very nearly late for my presentation, which went dreadfully anyway. What a complete load of old bollocks. Future Labour party conferences should be held on remote Scottish islands (or they should just take their chances with the assassins).

My bike, meanwhile, is still nowhere to be seen
  • Options
    same as it ever was then.
    whatever party is in power ALWAYS ...GETS THESE KIND OF SECURITY MEASURES.
    SO WHY PICK ON LABOUR?
  • Options
    Good to see youve swallowed New Labour party bullshit hook, line and sinker morrocan roll, what with always coming to their defence.
  • Options
    same as it ever was then.
    whatever party is in power ALWAYS ...GETS THESE KIND OF SECURITY MEASURES.
    SO WHY PICK ON LABOUR?
    No it's not. It'smost definitely a New Labour thing, it was certainly not the case with conferences of old. Brighton, 1984, kinda disproves your theory in a rather huge way.

The traffic this morning was a fucking joke (thank fuck I work in Sunderland so was heading out of Newcastle and not in), and all so Blair can have a circle-jerk with the big business and big business' lapdogs, the trade unions.

I hope all those people in Northumberland and Tyne and Weatr enjoy the £3million bill that lands on their doorstep. I don't see why I should have to pay tax to fund thse self-serving rancid cunts.
  • Options
    scares me too, but to many people jobs come first, and labour look after the economy whilst the current tory policy would probably piss it down the drain

The Conservatives in 1992-1997 actually built the economy that New Labour have maintained. Their economic management after Black Wednesday was spot-on.

If the Tories were doing it wrong then Gordon Brown wouldn't have kept Conservative spending plans for the first three years of office. And, it should be noted, that the man "looking after" the economy now actually made Black Wednesday significantly worse than it should have been.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And, it should be noted, that the man "looking after" the economy now actually made Black Wednesday significantly worse than it should have been.

how so?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    how so?
    His oppositon to the proposed devaluation of the pound shortly before Black Wednesday prolonged the debacle, and made the cost of it even higher.

Good to see that the country is in the hands of someone who will shaft everyone to make a political point.

Moral of the story? Never trust a Scot.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No it's not. It'smost definitely a New Labour thing, it was certainly not the case with conferences of old. Brighton, 1984, kinda disproves your theory in a rather huge way.

and there hasn't been a conference without security since then.
    do you actualy remeber the thatcher days?
    mass unemployment especialy for youth.
    no chance of a uni place for most ...
    yes they did get some things right ...like most do believe it or not.
  • Options
    Good to see youve swallowed New Labour party bullshit hook, line and sinker morrocan roll, what with always coming to their defence.
    no mate ...i have opposed this war from the begining and want blair out.
    i hate the spin machine. i can't stand prescot. how the hell a dummy like him even reached deputy PM is beyond me, let alone held onto the job.
    i reckon he must have pics of tony shagging maggie or similar.
  • Options
    At the conference last year, I think some protestors stormed in and shouted during Blair's speech, as he made his non-apology which conveniently shifted the blame for the Iraq war onto the intellgence services. I think this is what New Labour really fears.
  • Options
    To be fair to them, they are the government, and beleive that any party in government today would do the same.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    To be fair to them, they are the government, and beleive that any party in government today would do the same.
    There was no warning that today it would take 40 minues to travel the 200 yards over the Tyne bridge though. Labour or not, they've lost my vote just for that. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No it's not. It'smost definitely a New Labour thing, it was certainly not the case with conferences of old. Brighton, 1984, kinda disproves your theory in a rather huge way.unts.

The IRA were the only credible threat back then, and were quite unreliable when it came to delivering mass attacks on people. Al-Qaeda and the like are a bit more trigger happy when it comes to this sort of thing.
    And Brighton also proved the need for BETTER security at party conferences.

I think it's quite acceptable for the ruling party to have decent security
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I think it's quite acceptable for the ruling party to have decent security

If a political party wants security, they should pay for it themselves.

Personally I'd like to see al Qaeda get in and blow the whole place up. After all, F4J have already managed it.

I've never seen so many police officers in one place. Strange how they're nowhere to be seen when you get burgled or mugged though.
  • Options
    I think you're taking a rather populist view there Kermit.

Regardless of whether you might want to see the government wiped out, I bet my hairy arse that if some clowns managed to blow them up you'd be the first one complaining about Britain being a shambles third world country that can't even provide decent security for its Prime Minister. ;)
  • Options
    I'd be very angry that £3million was blown up, and I'd expect heads to roll (figuratively) but I wouldn't complain about Blair being wiped out:p

I probably am being populist, but Blair's little circle-jerk in Gateshead has added something in the region of £6 to my council tax, and I resent the two hours' work it's taken me to earn that just to pay for the gap-toothed gibbon.
  • Options
    That is true to a degree but there are many traditional Labour voters out there who won't vote for Blair this time out of revulsion for what he's done to Iraq.

It might have a big impact on the marginal seats.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It might have a big impact on the marginal seats.
    yeah I think the Lib Dems will have an edge over Labour in areas when people generally are centre / centre-right because of popular opposition to the war and / or the alliance with the USA.