Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Danish PM: 'Israel is special'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Jersualem Post gleefully reports the comments of "centre-right" PM Rasmussen, when challenged over his support for killing Iraqi kids on the basis of Hussein's alleged breach of Security Council Resolutions, whilst Israel appears able to act with impunity:
Rasmussen, whose country began a two-year rotating stint on the Security Council on January 1, said that whereas Israel was not completely implementing all the Security Council resolutions, "it is not run by a dictator without a conscience, and that is an essential difference."

"Moreover," he said, "Israel is surrounded by enemies that want to throw it into the sea, and we should recognize that it has a special history. Israel must use somewhat tough measures to defend itself."

Apparently some Danes are concerned, especially as Denmark is due to take up a seat on the security council.
Danish Amnesty International is shocked as well. General Secretary Lars Norman Jorgensen says to Danish television that "As a member of the Security Council Denmark has a special obligation to keep all counties of the world to respect all UN Resolutions."

So, according to him its okay for Israel to keep pursuing the very same policies that make it so unpopular in the region.

Needless to say, Rasmussen fails to identify all these neighbours who want to drive Israelis into the sea. It isn't the majority of the Palestinian population, they apparently just voted for a 2 state solution. And Egypt and Jordan are on the point of sending ambassadors to Israel, so maybe it isn't them either......

Comments

• Options
    The old bullshit about all those horrible nations wanting to push Israel into the sea is about as current and accurate as to say JFK is the current US President.

Do these people come pre-programmed to peddle the same old tired rubbish or something?

How long before this chap says those who complain of Israeli abuses are rabid Nazi anti-semites? That's another one they love to quote...
  • Options
    It's good to see that the Danish PM is taking a balanced stance and recognizing Israel’s need to take measures which are unfortunately quite tough but so vital to Israel defense of its security.

It’s refreshing to hear of somebody not falling for the lies churned out by the biased, one-sided extreme anti-Israel propaganda machine. Good on PM Rasmussen :)
  • Options
    It's good to see that the Danish PM is taking a balanced stance and recognizing Israel’s need to take measures which are unfortunately quite tough but so vital to Israel defense of its security.

It’s refreshing to hear of somebody not falling for the lies churned out by the biased, one-sided extreme anti-Israel propaganda machine. Good on PM Rasmussen :)

Right, so war crimes are what is needed to prop up the Apartheid state !!!

On the basis of your post, it seems pretty obvious that there is no legitimate basis for an antagonistic Jewish state in a Middle East neighbourhood.

Rasmussen and you make it clear what the cost of its continued existence is.

:)
  • Options

:lol: That's a good one Disillusioned.
  • Options
    That's the man I voted for :D

(well not directly, as he wasn't electable in my "circle", but for his party)

freethepeeps, you might be interesting in knowing that Fogh (no one really calls him Rasmussen, unless his whole name is used) said that he was misunderstood... http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/Indland/article.jhtml?articleID=232225
    Jeg vil gerne understrege, at jeg ikke på nogen som helst måde finder det acceptabelt, at noget land blæser på, hvad FN's Sikkerhedsråd beslutter, siger han.
    Mine bemærkninger om Israels vanskelige situation faldt i sammenhæng med, at jeg blev spurgt om, hvorfor vi så ikke reagerer overfor Israel, ligesom vi gjorde overfor Saddam Hussein. Der forklarede jeg så, at der er for mig at se er en forskel på en brutal militærdiktator som Saddam Hussein og den situation, som Israel er i, siger Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

Translated:
    I want to stress that I do not in any way find it acceptable that any country ignores the decisions of the UN Security Council, he says.

My comments concerning Israel's difficult situation where related to me being asked why we don't react towards Israel as we did against Saddam Hussein. I then explained, that according to me there is a difference a between brutal military dictator as Saddam Hussein and the situation which Israel is in, say Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

So yes. There you go.
  • Options

Translated:
    I want to stress that I do not in any way find it acceptable that any country ignores the decisions of the UN Security Council, he says.

My comments concerning Israel's difficult situation where related to me being asked why we don't react towards Israel as we did against Saddam Hussein. I then explained, that according to me there is a difference a between brutal military dictator as Saddam Hussein and the situation which Israel is in, say Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
    I'd agree with that. Israel flouts the UN Security Council and has done some nasty things. But nothing compared to Saddam Hussein.
    People are looking for hypocrisy in the West's approach to Israel even where it doesn't always exist. While it may not be 100% fair I think it's at least partially justifiable that Israel gets special treatment.
  • Options
    Well of course, the Israeli government is not as bad as Saddam Hussein.

Then again, we should have never invaded Saddam Hussein. No country deserves military force for the abuses they have perpetrated.

However the hypocrisy that reigns supreme in the West and specially the US is still all too obvious. Military force is out of the question, but there is a very legitimate case for breaking diplomatic ties with Israel and imposing the same economic sanctions countries like Iraq, Lybia or Iran have suffered. The fact is, any other country in the world that had illegally occupied other people's land for nearly 40 years and subjected the population to such appalling catalogue of atrocities would have suffered the wreath of the USA many decades ago.

Instead they get aid and full military and political support to happily continue to flaunt international law and UN resolutions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    the wreath of the USA.

usa-flag-wreath.jpg

Seriously mate, I think they've already got it.......
  • Options
    Oh and JtR, he says that he was misunderstood in terms of suggesting that Israel didn't have to conform to security council decisions.

He isn't saying that his prognosis that Israel is situated in a sea of hatred, where they have to commit war crimes to survive, is wrong.

Him and the delusional one agree on that.

What say you?

:confused:
  • Options
    He isn't saying that his prognosis that Israel is situated in a sea of hatred, where they have to commit war crimes to survive, is wrong.

Him and the delusional one agree on that.

What say you?

I don’t condone alleged war crimes committed by Israel. Unlike yourself however I recognise the vulnerable position Israel is in and the significant threats that Israel’s enemies pose. However I am quite sure that you and I have very different ideas on what constitutes a ‘war crime’. I know I wouldn’t count an Israeli soldier defending himself from terrorists as a war crime, nor would I consider Israel defending itself from militants hell-bent on murder and destruction a war crime. Sadly however I think you would which kinda shows how detached you must be from the reality.
  • Options

What say you?

That I voted for this man's policies :)
  • Options
    I don’t condone alleged war crimes committed by Israel. Unlike yourself however I recognise the vulnerable position Israel is in and the significant threats that Israel’s enemies pose. However I am quite sure that you and I have very different ideas on what constitutes a ‘war crime’. I know I wouldn’t count an Israeli soldier defending himself from terrorists as a war crime, nor would I consider Israel defending itself from militants hell-bent on murder and destruction a war crime. Sadly however I think you would which kinda shows how detached you must be from the reality.

Oh, I wouldn't call a soldier defending himself a war crime. If the defence was proportional.

I would class the demolition of family homes as war crimes. Likewise the killing of children in classrooms. The detentions without trial. The torture. The land thefts and so on and so on and so on.........

And whether Israel "defends itself" or "incites others" is the point of much debate.

Shitting on peoples dignity often results in undignified responses.

So, remind us how we get to the stage when it all calms down, and people are happy to have Israelis as neighbours.

Weeks, months, years, decades, centuries ..... what?
  • Options
    That I voted for this man's policies :)

I'm hardly surprised at that .....

However, it wasn't actually the question I asked, was it?
  • Options
    I'm hardly surprised at that .....

However, it wasn't actually the question I asked, was it?

If I need to cut it out for you, then voting for someone would usually imply some sort of agreement, which is what I believe you were asking about...
  • Options
    If I need to cut it out for you, then voting for someone would usually imply some sort of agreement, which is what I believe you were asking about...

Excellent. So you agree that Israel will have to commit war crimes to keep going in its current guise.

:yes:
  • Options
    As J said, we percieve things differently.
    And while I don't condone the killing of children, then I do agree with self-defense.
  • Options
    As J said, we percieve things differently.
    And while I don't condone the killing of children, then I do agree with self-defense.

Self defence seems like a very clever idea. Can I take it you agree with Palestinian self defence as well?

And, should you or the delusional one ever get involved in Israel's "self-defence", heres a handy guide to shooting civilians with impunity.

Rule 1: Don’t shoot foreigners
    Rule 2: Don’t leave behind physical evidence
    Rule 3: Don’t Shoot People When A TV Crew Is Filming You
    Rule 4: Don’t deliberately shoot unarmed civilians unless you are sure your unit will back your story

Its all explained in the article, as is the proportion of non-combatants killed by the I"D"F:
    We can get an idea of the ratio of combatants to non-combatants from various sources. For the Palestinian side, a summary prepared by the Health Development Information and Policy Institute on the fourth anniversary of the intifada’s outbreak, based on a detailed breakdown of Palestinian casualties, found that 82% of Palestinians killed were civilians. On the Israeli side, the Israeli General Security Service (Shin Bet) issued official figures on 8 August 2003, showing that 2,341 Palestinians had been killed by that date, and another 14,000 wounded. According to Shin Bet, 551 (or 23%) of the dead were “terrorists”, leading to the unspoken conclusion that the other 77% were, well, not terrorists [6]. And as for figures from Israeli and Palestinian NGO's, Israeli journalist Amira Hass, basing her analysis on statistics compiled by B’Tselem and the Palestinian Red Crescent Society, reported in September 2003 that “80 percent of the Palestinians killed were not connected to armed actions”

So, even Shin Bet seems to concur that 4/5 dead or injured Palestinians weren't actually threatening anyone when soldiers killed or injured them.

:impissed:
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    god some one you guys do echo the guardian a lot. how sad!

You're talking out of your bottom again lukesh. The Guardian isn't even a source in this discussion. Perhaps its a crude and worthless stereotype that you're plugging.....
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    no but some of the crap that comes out of you're gob an a few others comes directly from the guardians opinions.

Does it really?

:chin:
  • Options
    The figures are on the CST website

4 instances of "extreme violence"
    79 instances of assault
    53 instances of damage/desecration to property
    93 instances of threats
    272 instances of abusive behaviour
    31 instances of "literature"

So, its getting clearer - 1/4 of these incidents have a clear anti-Jewish or anti-Israeli basis, and over 50 % amount to "Abusive behaviour"

So, a lot of this boils down to what "abusive behaviour" actually means.

One can only wonder why the CST doesn't put the report on their website.