Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

For those who have been on a gap year/done work experience abroad...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey!
Can you help me pls? im looking for fundraising ideas from people who've done a gap year or work experience abroad.
My work exp (in africa) is 18months away yet, but i really want to get fundraising now!
This is what ive done so far:
* me and my parents and sister have started saving any copper in tins - ive already got £5
* ive wrote several letters (about 20) to different companies asking for sponsorship, and have so far recieved 1 negative reply and the local council sent me a form saying i may be eligable for sponsorship
* had a meeting with a manager of a huge company which my grandad used to manage b4 he retired today, and they are going to get back to me
* recieved 2 tickets for free entry into chester zoo from the zoo -going to raffle them off - doing this nearer the summer, as this is when people will most probably want to go
* Raffling off a big bottle of whisky and some wine - im starting this now
* trying to organise a fun-day, but having trouble hiring a place (was gonna do raffle, tombola, cake stall, jumble sale, etc)

Ive googled this a found quite a few good ideas, but if anyone out there can help pls do!!
Thanx
SBG :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If it's "useful" work experience, you can try writing to charitable trusts or interested organisations.

If not, get a job.
  • Options
    i have a job already. and yes its useful - if wasnt going to benefit my career then i wouldnt do it!
    SBG
  • Options
    You could do something like a sponsord walk or something.
  • Options
    ive actually just managed to book a hall for only £20 for the day :thumb: so ive got about 2 months to think of loads of ideas for this. So far ive thought of:
    tombola, raffle, drinks and cake stall, jumble sale and a name the teddy game!
    Any other useful ideas welcome
    SBG
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Get a hundred pound note and get people to guess the last 3 digits of the reference number. Sell each number (one pound per number) and try and sell all thousand numbers. Take out the cose of the £100 note and then you can make a profit of £900.

We did it one year, managed to sell all thousand numbers and made a fortune.
  • Options
    wow, thats well good. may do that next yr! Thanx!
    SBG
  • Options
    How long is your work experience placement? And how much is it costing altogether, is it with an organisation?
  • Options
    go to your nearest Connexions and use their funderfinder. there might be one online, but i can't remember it. i may google it later.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If it's "useful" work experience, you can try writing to charitable trusts or interested organisations.

If not, get a job.

I think he meant useful to the people your going to be working with not for yourself - if it is there are lots of trusts you can approach for this sort of thing - also check out your old school - mine had several travel scholarships etc