Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mountain biking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm... anyone else into mountain biking? What bike do you own? Did yo modify it is some way?

It's snowing here, and it's all icey outside, so i'll go for a ride in some half an hour. Not quite mountain biking, but biking never the less.

To answer my own question: I have a Giant Boulder team and i replaced the front shock with an RST one. I've also replaced rims and tyres (or tires, Webster's dictionary says it's all the same). Installed some lights one it, and changed the seat. Well, so much about that. Any more biking freaks here?

Comments

• Options
    I ride a little, nothing serious, don't even have front end suspension, but then, I don't like it when trying to go back up the hill. A solid pair of mudguards does me for some hardcore downhill, then any decent bike with gears will get you back up.
  • Options
    I am not a pro either, but i like doing some crazy stuff... Long distances (my bike isn't made for that, so it wasn't easy going for 85km in one day), jumps (almost crashed badly once), snow rides (dangerous, but very sweet), downhilling and stuff like that.
  • Options
    Work at Halfords mate :thumb:

My mates and I there have an extensive collection of bikes..mounting to thousands of pounds. For example, GT Agressor One, Kona Stinky, my new Saracen Six.2, some DB BMX's etc. Most of which have been upgraded.

I'm not a huge fanatic but I love to ride. It's a shame I had to stop :( My mates are big into the modding so I couldn't tell you much about that either. One of the guys there is a sponsored trials rider - £600 for a day at the GT course. Geez.
  • Options
    i'm a bike widow, if that counts?

i'm sure the man will arrive at some point to tell you all about it :chin: he has quite the collection.

he built a bike for me (it's very pretty) but keeps telling me off for not riding it enough.
  • Options
    I'm just back from the ride, and... let's say I badly need a shower :) It's -7°C outside, and I had a heavy winter jacket. Not the best combination...

It's really a great feeling to ride on snow, with people looking at you like you're mad, kids pointing at you and stuff like that :D

It's a shame I don't have any winter tires, so i have to deflate them in order to get some grip (not fully deflate, of course). And I have about 90 kilos, so curbs are lethal for my rims.

I can't wait to go riding again, but I won't be able to in the next few days. When I do go out, I'll go straight for the ice :yes: :cool:
  • Options
    Don't ever advise anyone to work at Halfords Xila :p

I can fix anything on those things, but i'm still a BMX kiddie :D
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Don't ever advise anyone to work at Halfords Xila :p

there's lots of jobs going at the leeds halfordsss. mass walkout :thumb:

if you like selling shit bikes to shit people for shit pay and no recognition, then it's the job of your dreams ;)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    there's lots of jobs going at the leeds halfordsss. mass walkout :thumb:

if you like selling shit bikes to shit people for shit pay and no recognition, then it's the job of your dreams ;)
    HAHA, we're on the verge of doing it her too.

Which Halfords is it?
  • Options
    Haha, we've had a good few walk out recently on the new manager too. Who "Conveniently" says the letter i asked him to send me with the names and addresses of the area manager, HO and whoever else has power over him has got lost in the christmas post.

Oh, wait, he was after that promotion....
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Which Halfords is it?

all of them :lol:

mainly meadow road (city centre) and the kirkstall one though.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Haha. Hilarious.
  • Options
    No real problems in area 759 regarding Halfords. Anyway, I love my job :)
  • Options
    If you wait until xmas i can send you a 15% off voucher at halfords =p
  • Options
    i have a stunt bike, well did have one, good for driving around the park and goin to your mates house or whatever but i wouldn't be into my mountain biking now, doesn't mean i've never tried it i'm just a bit of an unfit guy.
  • Options
    my cycles

i have too many bikes... i have spent far too much on bikes... i do however love riding them. today i was at the bmx track (and it was f*cking freezing) tomorrow i'm out to do some street in leeds with the locals. if anyone is near leeds i'd highly recomend the stainburn trail just outside otley, it's still being constructed but it's almost certainly one of the most technical trails in the uk. i owe the stainburn guys a dig day, which will be next sunday.

if you want details i'll start with the p3, my first proper mtb.

Specialized P3, marzocchi dj3s, 24" atomlab trailpimp wheels, 2.6" halo ception tyres (which are completely shit, but when i bought them i was poor), on-one reetard cranks (3 piecers, you won't buy stiffer), xt shifter and mech, dmr chaindisc (38t), dmr speedguide, shimano deore rear disc (nowt special but it works) and a big fat hope m4 on the front with a 185mm rotor (which will launch you over the bars with zero effort if you're daft enough to yank on it).

all in all it's a very sweet little dirt jumper and feels really planted on north shore riding due to the stupidly low bottom bracket height and small fat tyres... don't ever try to ride one uphill though, it really doesn't like it. i dragged it round the glentress/helly hanson v trail in scotland and paid for it.

kona stinky, marzocchi 888s (8" travel, plushest forks you will ever ride), romic d rear shock (it's new and needs fiddling with to make it sweet), a hope bulb on a mavic ex729 front wheel and a very sexual chris king iso hub on another mavic ex729 laced up with sapim double butted spokes, aside from that it's still 'stock'.

i also have a bodged bike for my girl made from a 2003 carrera fury (for a bargain price... i took the parts i needed off and sold the frame/parts i didn't need) i bought a bargainous £35 diamondback steel frame off ebay and threw it all together (in a way only a skilled mechanic can :P) and with a few extra parts it was finished, and i have to say i was quite jealous of how pretty it looked. far too small for me to ride comfortably though. (i need to get nice pics of it)

aaaaaaaaaaand i also have a 20" wheeled onza t-bird trials bike which i cannot ride for toffee so is stock.

anything else you want to know just ask... :D
  • Options
    konas do really have a nice set of angles on them, they're more relaxed yet still somehow sweet for really hammering along.

and trust me, on some of the trails/tracks i've ridden you'd die on a hardtail... the vtrail is 17 miles long, the first half is 80% climbing which really f*cks your legs, the second half is almost exclusively downhill with rocks the size of babyheads. i was in so much pain it was unfunny. the next day i rode the stinky on the same trail and it was so much more fun, i could just pick a line and go for it.

an given the choice on a high end full susser i'd currently be looking at a pdc dh1 (i know the guy who imports them, very nice), a specialized demo 8/9, intense m3 or a devinci ollie... maybe even a specialized sx trail as a compromise between rideable all day and still able to huck it off drops all day without snapping it. actually i have no idea, i change my mind everytime i see some new highly engineered piece of kit.

if you want a bike for hucking off stupidly large stuff there's only one choice though, and that's a banshee scream, 10 year warranty on the frame including any and all freeriding. josh bender now rides a banshee, and this idiot took his bike off a 60ft cliff and lived to tell the tale. maniac.

edit: and you won't get a primo in orange/white anymore, pretty sure that's a 2/3 year old model... could get one painted up but i have a better paintjob, all i have to do is find it :eek2:

here we go, take a look at some of these masterpieces: http://www.viciouscycles.com/paint.php3

a few favourites:

classic spiderman
    57-01.jpg
    55-01.jpg
    53-01.jpg
    tigerprint
    67-01.jpg
    glow in the dark with disappearing spider detailing
    74-01.jpg
    75-01.jpg
    aforementioned glow in the dark bike during the day...
    76-01.jpg
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I prefer to ride proper off road bikes i.e ones with engines.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    having an engine is all well and good but i've ridden off stuff crosser riders wouldn't... i can see the attraction of having an engine but you really can't ride with the same sort of finesse over the same terrain, especially the steep twisty bits.

a lot of pro downhill riders ride crossers as part of their cross training, the sheer force you have to use manouvering them around all over the place is great practice.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Classic paintjobs! :D Does the spidy one come with a patented web-slinger?

no. it comes with a big stick to beat people who stare though.
  • Options
    My friend is getting his Stinky painted in the tiger print, looks pretty good. It's bright orange at the moment. No point being subtle now :)
  • Options
    Ring 779 and give the manager some abuse :)

:p
  • Options
    Xila wrote:
    My friend is getting his Stinky painted in the tiger print, looks pretty good. It's bright orange at the moment. No point being subtle now :)

still contemplating bright pink... i have a sticker set but might get another set made up so i can ride around on a 'kona pinky'.
  • Options
    All I can say is that i'm quite impressed by those pictures. It's a shame I don't have any pics of my bike in action... when I do, I'll post some.