Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scar Reduction Sheets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, :wave:

New to the site. Seen a few posts mentioning scar reduction pads (the silicon gel ones you can get from the chemists). I'd be grateful for some info from anyone who's actually tried them. Do they make any difference?

Cheers :)

Lizzie

Comments

• Options
    Never actually tried them my self, I know that their sposed to make the scar more soft(?) so you can then you some scar reduction cream that will make them heal quicker, must be worth a bash?
  • Options
    I've considering using these before on rather nasty self harm scars but I've been told they are a waste of money and need to be used on new scars rather than old one. Apparently rubbing vitamin E cream into cuts as they heal is just as effective

Phoenix
  • Options
    What about asking your GP for advice?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

The scars are pretty old - about 10 years or so - so it's probably too late to start using the vitamin E cream (I hear it's great for stretch marks too though, so I'll bear it in mind if the middle age spread kicks in a few years down the line!)

I've tried using dermablend to cover them: it's really good for covering tattoos, but in my case doesn't really improve the look of the scars since they're not particularly discoloured, it's more that they are slightly indented and quite shiney.

I had a look on on a packet of scar reduction sheets and it said they were suitable for reducing raised scars but I have the opposite, so perhaps I'll just have to live with them....
  • Options
    Also, how about seeing a dermatologist about things? I'm not sure how you get in contact by phone or your GP will get you an appointment, no sure. Maybe a good idea just to see what you would have to do?

I think I heard something about Baby Oil being usefull for scars or stech marks, not sure which now, may of been both.
  • Options
    I used them, I'm supposed to still be using them but I'm at a funny stage.

Yep, they worked. The scars didn't disappear, but I only used them for 6 weeks or so. But they definitely went down.
  • Options
    Why flesh scars

As I understand it, scar tissue is different from ordinary skill because of the rate with which it grows back and heals. I saw a thing on TV once about it. They found something that slowed down the healing process, and then the flesh just growed back normal, with virtually no scar.
    I'm not sure how that helps the discussion, come to think of it, unless these pads are related to that discovery. Just thought you might like some related trivia. :)
  • Options
    I've got some but they don't stick down for long because my scar is on the inside of my elbow and the moving undone the stickyness.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    For scars that old lizzie77, I would recommend rose hip seed oil, it has worked for me. There is more information on this page, and it is widely available.