Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Dam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right I'm planning going to Amsterdam in February half term with my friend. I'm 18 and she's 17,
number one, will this pose a problem? (although she easily looks 18)
number two, we're looking at stayin in a hostel, any recommendations or areas to avoid?
number three, any particularly good cafés? we aren't just going for stoneage so if we jus go to a nice one then check out all the art galleries etc we'll be sorted :D

Oh and i did do a search but didn't find what i was looking for :(

Comments

• Options
    I've heard of cafe's asking for ID, and if they do your mate will be screwed and told to leave... mayve someone else knows the facts better?
  • Options
    It is definately a strict over 18's policy, though I'm sure like with pub's as long as you clearly look over that age I doubt there will be a problem.

The cafe's arent really a place you'd want to spend extended periods anyway, its quite dull.

So you could always buy some and then smoke it with your mate elsewhere.

I found the 'Dam to be quite dull, the Red Light Area is depressing, a grim specticle to the more seedy side of human nature. Dont get me wrong I'd like to see legal prostitution but not like that.

ALWAYS smoke hash when you're in the 'Dam, getting weed is a waste of time, it will be very similar to stuff here, over fertilized and late picked.
  • Options
    I got asked for ID in quite a few places and I was 21 when I went and would say i've looked over 18 since I was 16.

The Skunk is similar to over here but with loads of variety that I have never found here. I wouldn't smoke hash as bong suggests because I smoke skunk, but each to their own.

The Red light is pretty seedy but also a great experience of a totally different way of life.

I enjoyed myself although I was lost for most of the weekend, its like a maze, everywhere looks the same.
  • Options
    the airport and the train station worry me the most ...floating on timber!
    if you want cheap and dangerous ...the hotel arriva ...
  • Options
    Hmm i might do the i'll buy some and we'll go sit in a park or by a canal or something. I'll prolly go for some hash, my friend's never smoked before tho. I guess it depends on where we go as to whether they'll id us or not. Thanks :)
  • Options
    I went when I was 22 but I look young- i'd pass for an 18/19 year old. Went to many many cafe ands bars and didn't get ID'd once.

Going out there is cool, it's quite surreal that all this stuff actually goes on and it's all legit.

I was disappointed in the skunk, went and tried the madest stuff in many cafes and to be honest none of them were all that! I'll agree that the hash is v.nice, but it can also cost a small fortune in some places. Much fun to be made making little black snakes out of that stuff :D

Overall I liked it and I'll probably be going again this year.
  • Options
    You can't smoke openly in public like that as far as I know.

A few of my friends have went to the Dam before they were 18 and didn't get ID'd, although they did look old enough, i'm sure yous will be fine, dunno i've never been before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    You can't smoke openly in public like that as far as I know.

A few of my friends have went to the Dam before they were 18 and didn't get ID'd, although they did look old enough, i'm sure yous will be fine, dunno i've never been before.

I shall keep that in mind. Thanks :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I shall keep that in mind. Thanks :D

i've heard the police in the dam are up tight bastards when it comes to stuff like that, not sure though, i'd probably smoke it in public anyway, it's easy to get away with if you roll them say in the hotel and just sit on a bench or something and smoke the head of yourself.
  • Options
    Make sure you eat some shrooms girl runner and go and look at the cannabis musuem. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    The Red light is pretty seedy but also a great experience of a totally different way of life.

Maybe for you country bumkin folk, us city dwellers see that sort of thing all the time.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Make sure you eat some shrooms girl runner and go and look at the cannabis musuem. :D
    Sounds like a good plan :hyper: i'm getting excited now!
  • Options
    the airport and the train station worry me the most ...floating on timber!
    if you want cheap and dangerous ...the hotel arriva ...

Quentin Arriva?? Can't remember the street name but close to Harlemmestradt? I stayed there twice now! The stairs are very dangerous when you are stoned, they move all over the place!! Bargaintastic rooms though. The Vondelpark is quite nice to have a crafty spliff in, someone told me there were Llama's in there, but I only saw cows. It's true you can't smoke pot in public, but the general rule of the thumb is as long as it's not blatantly obivous or around children or OAP's a blind eye is turned. So said the ex pats newspaper anyhow.

Red Light district is interesting, please be careful though! Don't walk through it alone at night, there are loads of pick pockets and dodgy blokes perving all the female tourists.

The Anne Frank house is a great museum and well worth a visit, as is the Van Gogh Modern - just for a laugh at the pictures of 20ft high turds. Rijksmuseum is good too, we bought a museum pass in the first museum we visited, I think it was about 20 euros but it saves you loads of money if you are going for the culture as well!
  • Options
    The stairs are very dangerous when you are stoned, they move all over the place!!
    yikes!
  • Options
    yikes!

you gotta watch the floor too...that turns into sponge! :nervous:
  • Options
    you gotta watch the floor too...that turns into sponge! :nervous:
    distant memories of excess ...i thought the spongy woodwork and the wobbling house was part of the stupour i was permantly in ...memories ...
    i can never trust myself to return .
  • Options
    Girl Gunner,

Ive been to Amsterdam about 6 times in the last 3 years...

Firstly, NEVER EVER smoke weed in public. It is utterly disrespectful, the dutch are good enough to let you into their country and smoke the weed in their shops and treat you nicely, dont abuse it. People get very very annoyed with smokers openly toking big joints in public. Remember weed smells. Alot.

ID wise... hmm, you might have a problem. Im 24 and look it, certainly dont look 17!! and i got id'd a few times. I think they're cracking down so you best have some good ID.

Weed wise. Right. Theres alot of nonsense on this site about the weed being poor and not much better than the english equivalent. Not true, you simply have to know where to look. If you buy your buds in the grasshopper you're asking for trouble really.
    Go to these coffeeshops for good weed.

De Dampkring
    Tweede Kamer
    Kadinskys
    Grey Area (amazing yellow cab and grey mist)
    Greenhouse (is ok, make sure you dont get blinded by choice tho, ask the dealer)
    Media (out of town, by the Albert Cuyp market, organic weed)
    Katsu (again, in the albert cuyp market)
    Abraxas (had some nice hawaiian haze a month ago)

I dont really smoke hash. Im not on the flavour. So im a pure weed man. trust me, it is that good.
    If your mate has never smoked before, be careful for gods sake, it'll knock her for 6.
    Ive been smoking for about 9 years now and i can never get past the first joint without feeling seriously fucked, so fucked i think im gonna pass out, so be careful!!!

Youll love it, trust me, take that ID and youll be cool
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Maybe for you country bumkin folk, us city dwellers see that sort of thing all the time.
    Don't exactly live in the country 15-20 mins from Leeds and Huddersfield, lol. You see women advertising thereself in the window all the time?? I wanna live where you live. :p
  • Options
    I was half joking really, I just mean that there are fist fulls of prostitutes in London if you want them.

Frankly I find the whole trade quite unsavoury and its really not my bag.

I found the Red Light depressing, but I know people who have 'enjoyed' it.

If I was going to get involved in that scene I probably would go to one of the wierder shows, just to see.
  • Options
    I knew you was kinda joking.

I just found it really different and interesting. I think if you go to Amsterdam, especially first time, you have to go to the red light district just to experience it. If you re-visit then maybe you would stay away but on your first trip its got to be done. Just didn't like the dodgy's on the corners *psssst cocaine* *psssst cocaine*
  • Options
    I guess so, but I've been through Soho more than a few times, you get the same experience there.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    I guess so, but I've been through Soho more than a few times, you get the same experience there.

Well, you do if you look dodgy...
  • Options
    Maybe I guess, though I hope I dont look that kind of dodgy.
  • Options
    It's booked :D and we've managed to get flghts, 3 nights b&b in a hostel for 3 days for £100 each which i dont think is too bad in half term :D
  • Options
    It's booked :D and we've managed to get flghts, 3 nights b&b in a hostel for 3 days for £100 each which i dont think is too bad in half term :D

Cheap enough holiday.

Hope you enjoy it, don't whitey.
  • Options
    tommo24 wrote:
    it'll knock her for 6.
    Ive been smoking for about 9 years now and i can never get past the first joint without feeling seriously fucked, so fucked i think im gonna pass out, so be careful!!!

two of my mates went there last summer and they are serious tokers like, they said they thought they were all cool and ordered a few joints of some weed shit and after 4 draws they were about to whitey so what you're saying there is true, i can't wait to go myself
  • Options
    yeah it is seriously strong, girl_gunner i guarentee your mate will pull a whitey!
    Look after her!

Sweet, sugary drinks / milkshakes / fruit juice(NOT with dope in!) cakes etc bring you down when your stoned, so if she's feeling rough tell her to chill and have a drink..
    or just get some fresh air, always works for me
  • Options
    tommo24 wrote:
    yeah it is seriously strong, girl_gunner i guarentee your mate will pull a whitey!
    Look after her!

Sweet, sugary drinks / milkshakes / fruit juice(NOT with dope in!) cakes etc bring you down when your stoned, so if she's feeling rough tell her to chill and have a drink..
    or just get some fresh air, always works for me

lol i'll keep that in mind thanks!