Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long SMS Messages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you send a Long SMS to a standard mobile without that feature does it get split into multiple messages?

And also do you get charged once for sending or more then once depending on the length of the message?

Comments

• Options
    Yes if the phone can't receive it, its split into more than one. Most networks will change you for more than one message yes.
  • Options
    My network charges one message for every 160 (or 180?) characters!
  • Options
    With my phone I receive them all in one message and can send a message 6 messages long.

Sometimes though, I receive them with txt missing and it takes a while for the 2nd part to come through. It sometimes happens when I send them to people aswell.
  • Options
    With my phone I receive them all in one message and can send a message 6 messages long.

Sometimes though, I receive them with txt missing and it takes a while for the 2nd part to come through. It sometimes happens when I send them to people aswell.

But if you sent a long message that was 6 messages long would you get charged once or 6 times?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You'd be charged for 6 seperate messages.
  • Options
    But if you sent a long message that was 6 messages long would you get charged once or 6 times?

say you message charge was 10p, you would get charged 60p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    You'd be charged for 6 seperate messages.

:yes:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    say you message charge was 10p, you would get charged 60p

yep, with my phone while it's sending the messages it says 'sending message 1 of 6' then 'sending message 2 of 6' etc.
  • Options
    MInes doesn't. I get incompatible message errors on my phone. But then it is over 18months old now and so out of date.:D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think this is supposed to happen. It is actually sent as many messages, so each one takes a bit longer to get to you than the previous one. But the phone recognizes it's the same message as the previous SMS, and attaches it at the end.
  • Options
    My phone allows up to 16 linked messages. Unfortunately after writing three the phone slows down so much it's annoying, maybe they should have thought about that before trying to be clever.
  • Options
    My phone doesn't seem to like handling multiple messages, but it does.

When you send a text, if it's more than the length of a standard SMS you are charged for each additional text. Which caused a lot of people tob get huge phone bills when the NOkia 3310 was first introduced.
  • Options
    Mine does up to 6 (I think :confused: ) and does the same as lucifer devil's. Sometimes the second half of the messages takes like...a day to come through though :eek:
  • Options
    Mine does up to 6 (I think :confused: ) and does the same as lucifer devil's. Sometimes the second half of the messages takes like...a day to come through though :eek:

I find that if I turn my phone off, then when I switch it on it comes through.
  • Options
    I find that if I turn my phone off, then when I switch it on it comes through.

I might try that...

I usually get it when the person sends me another message :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I might try that...

I usually get it when the person sends me another message :rolleyes:

yeh that happens to me sometimes. ah well.
  • Options
    yeh that happens to me sometimes. ah well.

Yup...I need a new phone anyway. Mine's way too slow for the speed of my text. I have to stop to wait for it to catch up :lol:
  • Options
    Yup...I need a new phone anyway. Mine's way too slow for the speed of my text. I have to stop to wait for it to catch up :lol:

I hardly ever used SMS cos I hated typing on a phone, when I joined orange last year they gave me 6,000 free SMS message to use in my first 6 months I used about 50 most of those to tell people my new number

HOWEVER I now have a Bluetooth phone and have it connected to my Pc and can quickly type on a normal keyboard and it way handy, but now I only got 50 free SM'Ss per month :(