Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

help me help my mate please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best mate has just left home and movd in wiv her big bro after massive problems with her dad.

It really shook her up (what he did 2 her sexually) and now the only way she seems to block it out is using drugs. it startd off with dope but now shes poppin pills and takin coke.

im really worried bout her as she wont get proffessional help.

can ne1 give me sum advice or facts that might scare her in2 stoppin

thank u xx

Comments

• Options
    You probably can't scare your friend into stopping, drugs aren't like that, until she has a bad experience on them she probably won't stop or unless she just gets sick of them, which alot of people do, some easy and others not so easy.

Just be a friend to her and help her along with her problems.

Is she using pills and coke everyday or just the odd time?
  • Options
    Re: help me help my mate please
    Originally posted by Zippy2010
    My best mate has just left home and movd in wiv her big bro after massive problems with her dad.

It really shook her up (what he did 2 her sexually) and now the only way she seems to block it out is using drugs. it startd off with dope but now shes poppin pills and takin coke.

im really worried bout her as she wont get proffessional help.

can ne1 give me sum advice or facts that might scare her in2 stoppin

thank u xx
    slow down ...your going to fast.
    she won't be wanting help at the mo.
    she hasn't asked anybody for any help.
    she's getting out of it for all the wrong reasons.
    be worried.
    keep your nose out but always somehow have an ear to the door.
    be there for her ...and that may well mean being there to be used and abused but ...
    so far she's only smoking a stonka and popping some pills ...it aint the end of the world.
    they reckon after lots of research that only between 5 and 10 % of all drug users ever develop a problem.
    thats about the same for booze i think.
    keeping checking back here for advice ...some experienced people here.
  • Options
    Shogun - yes she does coke every day but im not sure about the pills. Thankyou for your advice xx

Morrocanroll - Thanks for your advice as well. Sorry if i was rushing into it im just really worried about her. Shes started skipping school and shes letting her dream of being an artist just buggering off out the door.

Sorry again if im rushing things xx

thank you so much for your help any more advice (anyone) would be good please xx
  • Options
    Well if she's doing coke everyday and is becoming dependent on it then that could be something to start worrying about.

By the way zippy, what age is she?

Hope everything turns out ok and keep coming back here and let us know how everything is turning out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    shogun - shes 16 thank you for your support, i'll let you know how things get on xx
  • Options
    That is a bit young to be using cocaine everyday.
  • Options
    16 yrs old not realy advisable.
    the bad news ...she has some kind of artistic/creative kind of personality ... one of the kinds of people who can maybe more easily become consumed ...by passion ...by colour ...by light ...by emotion.
    i'd say grass her up to her parents but they sound like complete twats.
    her brother the same as her?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Zippy2010, she is lucky to have a friend like you, it sounds like she needs the support of someone understanding at the moment. That doesn't mean you can't tell her you are concerned, you just need to keep in mind that she may not be in a good place to listen at the moment and you will have to respect that.

From what you have said here, it could be that your friend's drug use stems from what has happened with her father. Has she spoken to anyone else about this, or seen anyone for counselling at all?

If you want to approach your friend about the abuse, and my advice would be to do just that, you will want information. You might find the following pages from theSite useful; you may even want to show them to your friend.
    This page has information on victim support, and articles on Coming to Terms with Abuse and Surviving Sexual Assault. There are links to websites and helplines on the bottom left hand side of the articles, to organisations who can offer support.

Perhaps the best way to deal with your friends drug abuse is to encourage her to deal with the sexual abuse she suffered, but it is her choice, all you can do is offer support and advice when she will take it, and be a friend to her. Remember to take care of yourself, too.
  • Options
    That kind of abuse is escapism, you're trying to run away from the inside of your own head.

LadyJade is right in that its highly likely that the drug use stems from the early problems.

For help with the drug issue Release are good at www.release.org.uk
  • Options
    ladyjade ... :thumb:
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladyjade, ur advice (and every1 elses) has been really helpful to me.

i think now i understand a bit more about how i can help her so i feel more confident in being able to approach her about it.

Thank you soo soo soo soo much to every1 that has offered help. Ur all stars!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Have you spoken to her at all yet zippy since first posting this thread the other night?
  • Options
    no not yet but iv invited her over at the weekend so will def do it then
  • Options
    Be careful how you speak to her.
  • Options
    wot do u mean? help im worried now!!
  • Options
    wot do u mean? help im worried now!!

hehe, just don't go up and start shouting at her, be reasonable and understanding, take things into perspective, if both of you'se are willing to make it work then it will.
  • Options
    phew ok will do.

i can breathe again now!!! im so nervous!!

thank you
  • Options
    Don't freak out now.

All i meant was not to be going up to her shouting "don't be doing drugs, it's bad for you, blah blah blah", that's the last thing she'll want to hear and certainly won't take the advice on board.
  • Options
    how about showing her this board?
  • Options
    yeah thats a good idea. then she can see the advice nd she could (if she wanted) sign up nd chat to all u guys.

Hmm i might just mention that one!!
  • Options
    I remember someone came on here before with a problem with regards to their friend, that person showed them the thread that had been discussed, it seems a good idea.

Good luck.
  • Options
    yeah thats a good idea. then she can see the advice nd she could (if she wanted) sign up nd chat to all u guys.

if your casual about it ...little smile and say ...you know i worry about you ...so have a look at this ...please don't be angry at me ...i know nothing about drugs so thought i'd find out from people who actualy have experience with the stuff.
    you can go on to explain that the people here actualy seem sane and reasonably sensible ...that your not worried as much now but you are still concerned.
    show her and ask her if she thinks we are talking crap ...haven't a clue ...have judged wrongly etc.
  • Options
    by the way zippy ...if you are totaly new to the world of drugs and drug use ...it may seem a little strange for you to read people laughing about their use ...asking questions about another drug which they have not yet tried but are thinking of doing.
    few people bother with replies such as ...just say no kids!
    we know it doesn't work amongst other things.
    there are many reasons why many differing people take the array of substances that they do.
    most people being fine in both the long and short terms but ...there are dangers as with tobacco and alcohol ...and getting out of bed of a morning.
    nice honest people on the whole in here.
    people will be straight with you.
    more often than not ...when we get things wrong ...someone will point it out a heated discussion may well follow or ...piss off dick!
    you know the kind of thing ...

enjoy and learn.
    heres to your friend being ok.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Zippy, if you feel nervous about approaching your friend or feel like you want to talk to someone about this, you could try calling Supportline on 020 8554 9004, they may be able to give you some ideas about how to approach your friend and make you feel more confident. Let us know how you get on, and don't be afraid to use the help that is available, you and your friend don't have to go through this alone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    by the way zippy ...if you are totaly new to the world of drugs and drug use ...it may seem a little strange for you to read people laughing about their use ...asking questions about another drug which they have not yet tried but are thinking of doing.
    few people bother with replies such as ...just say no kids!
    we know it doesn't work amongst other things.
    there are many reasons why many differing people take the array of substances that they do.
    most people being fine in both the long and short terms but ...there are dangers as with tobacco and alcohol ...and getting out of bed of a morning.
    nice honest people on the whole in here.
    people will be straight with you.
    more often than not ...when we get things wrong ...someone will point it out a heated discussion may well follow or ...piss off dick!
    you know the kind of thing ...

enjoy and learn.
    heres to your friend being ok.

there definately is a sense of community and understanding within the drug circle, we know what the craic is and we're all to willing ot educate people if they want it, we're not all back alley scroungers who need a fix you know, decent, hardworking honest people, better than most i reckon.
  • Options

If your friend is taking coke every day like you say she is she's on track for addiction...coke addiction at 16 isn't going to be enviable. How does she afford it?? How much does she go through a week?? That kind of escapism will lead deffo lead to addiction.

Your best bet is to sign her up on here, get advice from people who know the scene. People with no knowledge from personal experience aren't going to convince any user to cut down....it's something best coming from the horse's mouth.