Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Inner ear infection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Please anybody...do you know of a pharmacist painkiller stronger then paracetamol?

I have severe ear ache. It makes me cry (and I'm NOT a crying person) and I get absolutely no sleep because of it. My jaw muscle and ear canal is swollen beyond belief and I have to have soup because it hurts to open my mouth.

Please do any of you knwo of anything? Please. The pain is the most I've ever had and my useless doctor won't do anything except say "take paracetamol" but I have all the time and it's bloody useless!! :(

Comments

• Options
    I had an inner ear infection and mine didn't hurt all that but I got a lot of vertigo. I just got some pills from the doc.

If you can find them (not sure if they are over the counter tablets) get some Zanza 500mg dissolvable and take 2. Should sort you out.

I had my ears cleaned out when I had my infection and all they did was pump water in side my ears. Didn't really hurt at all.
  • Options
    Pumpin in water sure sounds like a good solution but it was water that gave me the infection in first place. Don't EVER go in swimming pool on campin sites in Dorset. Or anywhere. Even if there -is- a weird-lookin blonde guy that seems to check it twice daily for ph abnormalities. I love swimming. I'm a crab zodiac for christ sake :'(

Although I'll ask about the water cleanse tomorrow morning after I get a lift there. Don't GP nurses and doctors get annoyed with repeated visits? I have been 3 times so far - each time to be given double dosage and double strength medication with doubley-longer chemical names.

People on here always say 'go to your GP' for even the littlest things. Doesn't it jus p*ss em off in the slightest? Last time I went, I had 2 nurses and 1 doctor in the room with me all callin me by my name without even askin and fully knowin what was weong with me before I even opened my mouth. Pretty cool except they see hundreds of patients every day.

Sorry to ramble on, but for at least 10 minutes there I forgot about the pain. I should really sart writing a thesite article about now. It should help.

PS. I'll also ask about that drug. Short name but sounds cool in a 500mg dose :)
  • Options
    NEWSFLASH

Anadin Extra is flippin marvelous.

It gives me 5 hours of complete bliss =D but when it wear out....it does it slowly. I'm waitin for my next dose to kick in so it's throbbin like hell :(

I heard from a mate that when she had it, her ear drum burst and she had to have a 3 hour operation. She's ow partially deaf.

She told me this when I said that today I heard 2 or 3 small pops and I am beginning to hear myself breathing in the affected ear.

Anybody know much about it? Had an ear infection? How long does it last? :(
  • Options
    Co Codomal (sp?)

thats great howver when in hospital, last week, MORPHINE IS GREAT!

I am in hospital practically every month with ear infections, i m not the best to ask as i am so used to it now, i suffer!

following ear ops, microsuction, antibiotics constantly, i am pretty used to it however Co-codamol is best, used to get it, the docs can prescribe it if the pharmasist wont give it.
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the pain and wanting to cry and not being able to sleep. I had my first ear infection last month and I thought my head was going to explode. The painkiller the doctor gave me is called "Antipyrine & Benzocaine." The antibiotic is called "Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates." Within the first couple of days I was sleeping through the night again.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    My ear hurts!

Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me. I haven't actually went to the doctors to find out what I have, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with my right ear. I have continous dizzy spells, a feeling that my ear is filled up with something, (fluid is what it feels like) and it's driving me nuts! I started off having sharp pains in my head, and one night it was so bad, I got so dizzy that I went to the hospital and they did a cat scan on me and they said everything showed up fine. So what could this be it's been going on for a month now and hasn't let up!
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Apart from this thread being totally dead, it's really important you go to your GP as no one here can give you a diagnosis. If you don't want to go straight to your GP you can call NHS direct first on 0845 46 47.

CB