Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dance project

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
help im in major panic now about my dance project its not due in til tuesday but thats only a week away! anyways the task is to create a dance 2-3 minutes long based on either:
a)martin luther kings speech
b)four seasons - spring summer autumn winter
c)a poem
the accompaniment is of our own choice but if its music it must not have any lyrics.

Now ive decided to do option c which is a poem by stevie smith
"Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too farout all my life
And not waving but drowning."

Im no good with poetry and have no idea what the poem is about but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to the meaning of the poem and also some music that would fit well with it.

Comments

• Options
    Re: dance project
    Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES
    help im in major panic now about my dance project its not due in til tuesday but thats only a week away! anyways the task is to create a dance 2-3 minutes long based on either:
    a)martin luther kings speech
    b)four seasons - spring summer autumn winter
    c)a poem
    the accompaniment is of our own choice but if its music it must not have any lyrics.

Now ive decided to do option c which is a poem by stevie smith
    "Nobody heard him, the dead man,
    But still he lay moaning:
    I was much further out than you thought
    And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
    And now he's dead
    It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
    They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too farout all my life
    And not waving but drowning."

Im no good with poetry and have no idea what the poem is about but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to the meaning of the poem and also some music that would fit well with it.
    well its about some guy out in the sea whos waving for help, but folks just think hes waving. Then ends up dead from the cold.
  • Options
    Re: dance project

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Re: dance project
    Originally posted by Jinx
    well its about some guy out in the sea whos waving for help, but folks just think hes waving. Then ends up dead from the cold.
    That would be the literal meaning. But he says "all my life", which makes me think there's a metaphorical meaning too. Perhaps that would be "I was asking for help but people thought I just wanted attention"?
    Also, I'm not sure the "dead one" and "I" are the same person...
  • Options
    i didnt choose the poem it was a set poem but it seemed easier then to do a dance about the four seasons especially finding an acompaniment that would fit with all 4 seasons and the martin luther king speech seemed a bit out of my depth to tackle
  • Options
    Martin Luther King's speech had some very powerful imagery that is much easier to understand than that poem.

As for the poem itself: it's literal meaning could be seeing someone waving their arms in the sea, as if to say hi, and not like they're dying.

More subconsciously, it's like not noticing when you're friend is dreadfully upset, cos they're putting on a front. Or people thinking you're not serious when you're asking for help.

For me personally, i could draw images much more easily from the first two options. however, it suggests an Angst sort of dance, perhaps with people trying to say and not being listened to. LAck of communication?

Did google come up with any analyseses?