Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sex and Periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I HATE it when I start my period near/around/on a weekend cos thats the only time I get to have sex with my boyfriend as we dont see eachother much in the week.

So now I'm sulking as I was planning a sexy weekend this weekend, but NO, I have to start bleeding.

*sulks lots*

Comments

• Options
    are you on the pill?
  • Options
    That was going to be my first question too. You should definitely think about going on the pill if you're not already. That way you should know a lot more reliably when you're going to come on, and should you need to you could carry on taking them through your "off" week so as to postpone your period. I'm planning on doing that this week myself as I have the same problem as you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by StupidGirl
    That was going to be my first question too. You should definitely think about going on the pill if you're not already. That way you should know a lot more reliably when you're going to come on, and should you need to you could carry on taking them through your "off" week so as to postpone your period. I'm planning on doing that this week myself as I have the same problem as you :rolleyes:

You shouldn't go on the pill just because your period sometimes comes in the way of you and your boyfriend having sex. It is something you have to take every day. It's either used (sensibly) as contraception, or a method for controlling irregular or very heavy and painful periods. It comes with health risks, such as deep vein thrombosis. If you want to go on the pill you will have to talk to your GP and they will decide whether you are suitable or not.
  • Options
    ive never had a period am i strange?

on a serious note how come you onyl see each other at the weekends that kinda sucks
    .matt
  • Options
    Originally posted by StupidGirl

was exact same thing i was gonna say!! WOO!
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    You shouldn't go on the pill just because your period sometimes comes in the way of you and your boyfriend having sex. It is something you have to take every day. It's either used (sensibly) as contraception, or a method for controlling irregular or very heavy and painful periods. It comes with health risks, such as deep vein thrombosis. If you want to go on the pill you will have to talk to your GP and they will decide whether you are suitable or not.

most ppl dnt go on so they can decide wen thy have their period, i no i dint, it was for contraceptive purposes and to stop myself gettin rly bad stummy cramps. the fact u can delay or even skip a period is a MEGA bonus. i no myn falls over xmas so im thinkin bout it this month, but i dunno yet... its ure own choice how u do it
  • Options
    hunny pot - totally agree with you here! ive been on the pill for about 4 yrs, bcos of stomach cramps, mood swings+skin problems. Now it comes in handy as a contraceptive, but in those 4 yrs ive only ever once carried on taking it so i miss a period. i kow the instructions say its safe,but i dont like the idea!!
    Suicide blonde - are you irregular?? If so, your GP *may* put you on the pill to correct this. If you are, then work out when you're on in future! And look at it this way, this gives you an extra week or so to come up with some more ideas for your sexy weekend!
    SBG
  • Options
    Originally posted by X_Addictive_X
    most ppl dnt go on so they can decide wen thy have their period, i no i dint, it was for contraceptive purposes and to stop myself gettin rly bad stummy cramps. the fact u can delay or even skip a period is a MEGA bonus. i no myn falls over xmas so im thinkin bout it this month, but i dunno yet... its ure own choice how u do it

text speak love!
  • Options
    most people dont go on so they can decide when they have their period, i know i didnt, it was for contraceptive purposes and to stop myself gettin really bad stummy cramps. the fact you can delay or even skip a period is a MEGA bonus. i know myn falls over xmas so im thinkign about it this month, but i dunno yet... its your own choice how you do it

happy ?!?!?
  • Options
    sorry, i can normally take text speak, but i did find that one really hard to read and i have no reading problems like dyslexia etc.

ETA: lol although i've just noticed that you didn't change the one that really flipped my brain hehe.
  • Options
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite :confused:
  • Options
    If it were a serious health risk to carry on taking the pill through the time you should have your period, there would be advice against this on the leaflet that comes with the pill rather than instructions on how to do it effectively. I'm not saying go on the pill just for this reason; only that it is something to consider as a way round this kind of situation in the future. I didn't go on the pill just to be able to do this either.
  • Options
    As regards the pill, if I carried it on instead of taking a break, my body was having none of it and had a period anyway...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kath2003
    As regards the pill, if I carried it on instead of taking a break, my body was having none of it and had a period anyway...

Yep, mine does that too :(
  • Options
    Never bothered me as I was only on it to stop my period pains and never used it as a contraception alone. Am on the implant now, back to normal as regards the length and severity of my periods but still pain free :D
  • Options
    I was put on Diannette by the Doctor for my skin/period pains/make them lighter etc, but I stopped taking it because it wasn't helping my skin, made me put on weight and I wasn't using it for contraceptive purposes. The only thing that it did do well was stop my agonising pains completley and made my periods a lot lighter, as they are really quite heavy at the moment.

They're not irregular, but you couldn't set your watch by them either. I'm debating about whether to go back on it because I keep having days off work because of the pain.

I suppose theres nothing I can do about my period starting on/before a weekend, but it totally sucks ass cos thats the only time I get to be intimate with my boyfriend.

In reply to Intrigue - we only see eachother on weekends cos he works night shifts and he can't guarantee that hes going to be free to see me.
  • Options
    oh that sucks SB well i hope you find a good fix for ya problem
    .matt
  • Options
    Meh, braved it and did it anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SuicideBlonde
    hahaha result!
    .matt
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    Yep, mine does that too :(
    and mine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SuicideBlonde
    good for you. It makes no difference really. Ill still do it if its only the beginning or end of my period. Not as keen if im in full flow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    good for you. It makes no difference really. Ill still do it if its only the beginning or end of my period. Not as keen if im in full flow.

Yeah, it was uber heavy at first, but it got to the weekend and it eased off toward the end to twas all good.

Still slightly icky though.
  • Options
    I don't mind having sex on my period, it's not like it's a constant gush anyway. Put an old towel down and it's all sorted :thumb:
  • Options
    I went through a phase of 'double-packing' my pill (taking it continuously without a break) because I was going on holiday/wanted to have sex etc and didn't want to bleed!

It worked for about six months and I didn't come on at all but then when I decided to take a break, nothing happened and I started panicking that I might be pregnant and that was why I hadn't had a period.

Normally, I can predict when I'm going to come on down to the hour on the pill, but I was nearly five days late (which was a long time for me) and my boyfriend was terrified!

Luckily, I came on though and all was well but we decided together that I shouldn't do that again and should just bleed when I'm supposed to.

It was a bit stupid, I guess but convenient at the time!

There aren't any health risks from doing it as far as I know - if there were, surely the booklet that you get with the pill would say...

Taking a break will save my sanity though in future. And my boyfriend's! :yes:
  • Options
    I started seasonale not too long ago. I hate missing sex cuz of periods and this really helps. Maybe ask your dr bout it. I'm satisfied.