Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

an example of the eu having too much power

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4104841.stm

this is really depressing news for anyone who knows anything about computing

allowing patents to end results like "one click purchases" even if someones done it better which are stupidly obvious will lead to the downfall of individual programmers, and push more to become virus writers whose goal is to screw over the big computer companies

Comments

• Options
    i can't get my head round the endless friggin laws that seem to getting altered or enacted ...against the little people.
  • Options
    its great how they preach free trade, and that if someone can do something better more efficiently and cheaper itll succeed

shame theyre passing laws against it eh

its like patenting anything that produces light so noone can make cheaper more effienct bulbs
  • Options
    It doesn't prove that the EU has too much power at all. So why say it?

IT proves that big business has too much power, but we knew that already.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It doesn't prove that the EU has too much power at all. So why say it?

IT proves that big business has too much power, but we knew that already.

and the fact the parliament and etc has rejected it etc but it still can through if the commision decides so

i dont dislike the eu i just wish it would sort out its organisation to make it more efficient at doing its job

and the constitution as ive seen it dont make things smoother and more democratic but just more complicated
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    and the fact the parliament and etc has rejected it etc but it still can through if the commision decides so

i dont dislike the eu i just wish it would sort out its organisation to make it more efficient at doing its job

Makes two of us.

But it isn't the EU that won't budge, it's the member states. the member states refuse to give up the control that the Commission gives them; until they do the democratic deficit will never be solved.

and the constitution as ive seen it dont make things smoother and more democratic but just more complicated

The constitution actually doesn't do anything, it's just a bit of spring cleaning really. All it does is neaten up the various treaties, I don't understand why anyone is getting their knickers in a twist about it tbh.
  • Options
    Makes two of us.

But it isn't the EU that won't budge, it's the member states. the member states refuse to give up the control that the Commission gives them; until they do the democratic deficit will never be solved.

strangely thats why a form of an electoral college system work to assign meps might work, so bigger more power areas have a say which they deserve as well as low power high population areas
    Makes two of us.
    The constitution actually doesn't do anything, it's just a bit of spring cleaning really. All it does is neaten up the various treaties, I don't understand why anyone is getting their knickers in a twist about it tbh.

and thats why id wish instead of wasting time on the constitution, they'd spend time sorting out how to improve the EU as an organisation etc etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    and thats why id wish instead of wasting time on the constitution, they'd spend time sorting out how to improve the EU as an organisation etc etc

there isn't much more that can be "sorted out" without memeber state co-operation.

And whilst they all talk the talk, none of them will walk the walk. Least of all the sodding British, who really should stop being such arseholes about it all.
  • Options
    there isn't much more that can be "sorted out" without memeber state co-operation.

And whilst they all talk the talk, none of them will walk the walk. Least of all the sodding British, who really should stop being such arseholes about it all.

instead of pandering to the press we should take control and drag the other stuck in past members by their necks to sort it out

itd show the british people how useful being in the eu is
  • Options
    i think its good to be involved in the level that we are, perhaps a little more, but not too much
  • Options
    the member states refuse to give up the control that the Commission gives them

Although ofcourse all commission members operate supranationally with no influence from meber state governments..........cough.yes.;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    Although ofcourse all commission members operate supranationally with no influence from meber state governments..........cough.yes.

I know, that's what I said;)
  • Options
    Sod it. :(