Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Democracy, is it always best

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on fromthe thread about General Pinochett, Id like to question the preceived wisdom that Democracy is always the best form og Government.

I think that a lot of times countrys are better off with a dictatorship, the best example of this is probably south Korea, with general Park, as leader after the end og the Korean war, before this Koera was basically a 3rd worlld country it was his harsh policies that made it economically strong, I dont beleive a democracy would have accumplished this. Like wise the UK was effectivly a dictatorship during WW2, I know that this might not be a good analogy but it makews the point that politicians running for election arnt able to concentrate on pressing issues.

Singapore, to some extent Cuba, perhaps Chillie, all had a dictator who were "legitimate" governments by which I mean they persued policies that they considered good for the country rather than just trying to stay in power.

And the por uneducated countries in the world is it realy a good thing to force democracy on them now, isnt General Musharif doing much better for Pakistan then Sharif did?
Not forgetting thet Hitler was democraticly ellected.

Comments

• Options
    Depends what you mean by democracy. I'm not sure that our current system of parliamentary representative democracy is actually that democratic.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There is no democracy in the world today, not can be. The closest thing to democracy is elected oligarchy.
    And, as Plato has said and I totally agreed even before I read it, the best form of government would be having a king that people could trust to always be just. Since such a person can't exist of course, it's impossible for the best form of government to exist.
  • Options
    I'd argue that closest thing would be anarchism.
  • Options
    Re: Democracy, is it always best
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum

I think that a lot of times countrys are better off with a dictatorship, the best example of this is probably south Korea, with general Park, as leader after the end og the Korean war, before this Koera was basically a 3rd worlld country it was his harsh policies that made it economically strong, I dont beleive a democracy would have accumplished this.

But there is no way of proving that if Korea had been more democratic they would not have accomplkished what they ahve, plenty of democracies undergo strong growth, look at India at the moment.

Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore and later Malaysia, Thailand etc, all the tiger economies have been through an economic revolution, all with differing political systems so i don't think the political systems can be seen as the main reasons for explaining the economic success.........