Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bleeding after sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have done a search but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for... (please pardon all the detail, but here goes!)

I slept with my boyfriend for the first time on Sunday morning. I'm nearly 21, lost my virginity nearly four years ago and have never had any problems before. It's been about six months since I last had sex, but there have been gaps longer than that so I didn't think that would be a problem. My bf is, shall we say, on the large side (lucky me! :naughty: ) but I thought I was turned on enough for there not to be a problem there (okay, I know I didn't follow all the advice I'd been given in my other thread in the Sex forum - definitely know for next time!) but perhaps not! It didn't hurt at the time but later I had what felt like period pain type cramps (and felt like I wanted to go to bed with a hot water bottle!) and I've also been bleeding ever since. It's light and bright red (sorry, but makes a difference!) but still enough to warrant the odd tampon or two!

Thing is, I've never bled before, not even my first time. I know my blokey is big and it was deep (probably as deep as ya can get!) but it still shook me up a bit. I know it's probably nothing to worry about and not something I'm going to bother my doc about, but just wondered if over 50 hours later it was heard of (won't say "normal"!) to still be bleeding??

I'm on the mini-pill and haven't had a period because of that for over 18 months, so I don't think it could be that.. hence mentioning the colour earlier..

*puzzled* :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Ouch, doesn't sound too nice! Why haven't you had a period for 18 months? Is that supposed to happen on the mini-pill?

I would have thought the most likely explanation is that you've just brought on a period through having sex but sounds like it's worth a trip to the doctor if you're bleeding constantly! Yes indeed.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say "supposed" to happen with the mini-pill, but it can - I think it's supposed to make your periods lighter anyway, so I guess if they're light beforehand it can just stop them all together. I saw my doc six months after I went on it and he said it was perfectly fine not to have periods so I've never worried about it - thought of myself as quite lucky!

It honestly doesn't hurt as in sore - if it hadn't been for the rough sex, I would have just assumed it was a period, but having not had one for so long and then this happening right afterwards, I put it down to a cut (or three!) somewhere... But after two and a bit days I'm starting to wonder if this should be happening... :(
  • Options
    The over-emphasis on how large your boyfriend is is going to get quite annoying soon.

Just to warn you.
  • Options
    Some women, although it is unusual, can experience vaginal bleeding after having sex, esp. if they have not had penetration in a while. It could be due to absolutley any number of reasons like STD's or Urinary tract infections, pregnancy, Any type of irritation or inflamed tissue, or vaginal trauma (most likely from the sex).
    You say that you "didn't follow all the advice I'd been given in my other thread in the Sex forum" - I have not read your other posts, but, can I assume, this means that you have not used any lube :confused: - Next time you have sex, perhaps it would help to use a water based lubrication esp. since you say your boyfriend is "on the large side"
    Now, I think that if it is "light and bright red" it would mean the bleeding is definitly vaginal rather than from the cervix or uterus which would be a lot darker and potentially more serious.
    If the bleeding has already managed to soak through a tampon and has already lasted more than a couple of days - You need to see your GP Your GP would be the best person to advise you - and I think you should definitly make an appointment - ASAP!
  • Options
    :(:confused:

I wasn't meaning to over-emphasis it at all.. It was purely another explanation as to what could have caused this - something that makes it different from all the other times with others (only three others, I hasten to add). I'm sorry if it came across somehow differently..
  • Options
    Re: Bleeding after sex
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I have done a search but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for... (please pardon all the detail, but here goes!)

I slept with my boyfriend for the first time on Sunday morning. I'm nearly 21, lost my virginity nearly four years ago and have never had any problems before. It's been about six months since I last had sex, but there have been gaps longer than that so I didn't think that would be a problem. My bf is, shall we say, on the large side (lucky me! :naughty: ) but I thought I was turned on enough for there not to be a problem there (okay, I know I didn't follow all the advice I'd been given in my other thread in the Sex forum - definitely know for next time!) but perhaps not! It didn't hurt at the time but later I had what felt like period pain type cramps (and felt like I wanted to go to bed with a hot water bottle!) and I've also been bleeding ever since. It's light and bright red (sorry, but makes a difference!) but still enough to warrant the odd tampon or two!

Thing is, I've never bled before, not even my first time. I know my blokey is big and it was deep (probably as deep as ya can get!) but it still shook me up a bit. I know it's probably nothing to worry about and not something I'm going to bother my doc about, but just wondered if over 50 hours later it was heard of (won't say "normal"!) to still be bleeding??

I'm on the mini-pill and haven't had a period because of that for over 18 months, so I don't think it could be that.. hence mentioning the colour earlier..

*puzzled* :confused:
    It could be a cervical ectropion which has been annoyed by your boyfriend bashing into it.

I'd suggest you make a routine appointment with your GP to discuss, and if you are due, get a smear done whilst you're there.

Info
  • Options
    Have to agree with kentish on this. I would head off to your docs and just explain your worries. They'll probably just do a routine smear for you. I had problems like this when i was on the normal pill (i know it's different to the pop pill) and it was due to a cervix problem so this is why i would just get yourself checked just to be on the safeside.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    :(:confused:

I wasn't meaning to over-emphasis it at all.. It was purely another explanation as to what could have caused this - something that makes it different from all the other times with others (only three others, I hasten to add). I'm sorry if it came across somehow differently..

Aww I wasn't being serious!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Aww I wasn't being serious!

Ohhh... :blush:

I have booked an appointment for Monday morning (earliest my Docs could do!).. am due a repeat prescription of my pill anyway
  • Options
    Just to finish this topic off in case anyone searches for something similar in the future...

I went to my docs today and he put my mind at rest. He said it wasn't something he was worried about and didn't think it was a sign of something more serious. He thinks the "impact of the mechanics of intercourse" (his exact words!) on my cervix and womb brought on the bleeding. Said it shouldn't happen again or "re-start" my periods - he was fine with me not having a period for 18 months, and explained that the only reason the combined pill was designed in three-week cycles was to make it more "pyschologically attractive" to women who believed they had to have a monthly bleed :nods: Apparently!

He did say to go back if it happened again and they would probably do a smear just to reassure me further, but it honestly wasn't something to worry about. Smear tests were mentioned in general too - said I should think about "building up the courage" to have one (he seems to think I might be shy?! :eek2: And yet I'll tell him all the above rather matter-of-factly!) sometime in the next couple of years. Apparently I have to have had one by the time I'm 25 or our particular practice won't prescribe the Pill anymore til you've had one!
  • Options
    Glad youve reassured yourself anyway!!

Hope things go well for you and your bf in the future.

Hope this Helps
    Peter
  • Options
    Originally posted by sja_sgt
    Glad youve reassured yourself anyway!!

Hope things go well for you and your bf in the future.

Hope this Helps
    Peter
    Are you especially bored today?

You don't need to reply to every thread that has ever been posted on the Health board.

:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by Kentish

You don't need to reply to every thread that has ever been posted on the Health board.

Hope this helps.

I laugh because its true

:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

Hope this helps.

*chuckles*