Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hoooge People and Planes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should Persons of Size (big size) have to buy a 2nd seat on an airplane if they're HUGE!!

Got on te plane back home today and this guy and his wife are inthe seats next to me.

The woman was big but her husband was huge, his waist must have been about 60 to 70 inches!!

I was lucky though cos after everyone boarded they found there was a free row so they moved to the row of three seats but if not I could have been sat very uncomfortably for 11 hours!!

Comments

• Options
    I can't remember which comedian came up with this but he said passengers should be given a weight limit for baggage and passenger combined, rather than the current 20 kilo baggage allowance. As an incentive for more generously proportioned passengers to lose weight. :lol:
  • Options
    cubicle_buddies.jpg
  • Options
    Yup.

And they should also be weighed at the check in desk and have to pay extra baggage costs if necessary.

And on a return journey they get weighed again, but if they weigh any more than when they did.when they arrived, they're going nowhere till they lose some weight.

And if they start sweating and generally annoying the other customers, they get thrown out without a parachute.

Imagine if you were on a plane and the whole thing was constantly tilted to one side because some greedy person can't stop eating cakes and crisps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    I can't remember which comedian came up with this but he said passengers should be given a weight limit for baggage and passenger combined, rather than the current 20 kilo baggage allowance. As an incentive for more generously proportioned passengers to lose weight. :lol:

That's exactly wha I was thinking, it aint fair you get 20kg and weigh maybe 65kg when the next guy is like 100kg in weight!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Imagine if you were on a plane and the whole thing was constantly tilted to one side because some greedy person can't stop eating cakes and crisps.
    roflol :lol:

That's just the best mental image. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I'm surprised they allowed them to move to the row of free seats - they usually have rows free to keep the aircraft in trim

Huh??

I'd expect the airline to wanna fill every available seat

And I think once they're inthe air it don't may much differene althoug on take off they insisted some people went back tot he original seats and then could change in mid air
  • Options
    travel business class next time - you'll get 30 kg in weight :p

It was a charter flight, anyway my bag was only 14kg I had to carry it home on 2 trains so wanted to be light
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    roflol :lol:

That's just the best mental image. :lol:

It is isn't it :)
  • Options

or was it over booked and they were both going to sit on you? :lol:

:lol:
    i.e. the weight all needs to be balanced

One incredibly fat person on one side of the plane. and everybody else on the other :lol:

Man, how soul destroying would that be? :(
  • Options
    Re: Hoooge People and Planes
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Should Persons of Size (big size) have to buy a 2nd seat on an airplane if they're HUGE!!

if they're taking up 2 seats, they should have to buy 2 seats.

simple as.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Hoooge People and Planes
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if they're taking up 2 seats, they should have to buy 2 seats.

simple as.

it's no so much they take up 2 seats but they over hang on to the person next to them, who if they're not a personal friend aint nice!!

Although I've never figured out how they work out the width of those seats, I'm not big by any means but my shoulders are about 3 inches wider then the airline seats back rest so how do they expect peole to sit comfortably if they're of average size.
  • Options
    I reckon the airlines should have to make the seats bigger.

They're damned uncomfortable at the best of times, and even sitting next to other people of average / slim build is extremely confining and the cause of much mutual elbowing.

My biggest gripe would have to be the complete lack of leg room.
    I'm about 6 foot 4 (not particularly tall these days, it seems when looking around). A couple of years ago I flew to Ayia Napa. After much Krypton-Factoresque manouevering I manage to wedge myself into the obligatory 7 inches of leg room and spent the next few hours in complete agony (not helped by the insufferable little turd in the seat in front of me with his repeated attempts at reclining the seat so that my knees were practically shoved out of my arse).

Admittedly, it is highly unlikely that airline companies will make any attempt to address this issue, as by creating more room for comfort they will be reducing the number of seats on the plane that they can charge for.

So looks like we'll be stuck with the "Battery Human" standards of travel for the foreseeable future.

Rant over. :D
  • Options
    Actually have you ever noticed how thick the seats are on planes?

Like 4 inches thick or something!!

Surely they can make materials just as strong and supportive but thinner and thus allowing more leg room?

Same with those leg supports on the chairs, they take up loads of leg room

I don't find leg room as much of a pain as shoulder room, if you sit in the aisle then you can over hang that a bit until they come round with the trolly!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

I don't find leg room as much of a pain as shoulder room, if you sit in the aisle then you can over hang that a bit until they come round with the trolly!!

On the sodding plane I was on, the aisle armrest didn't raise, so I had one thigh half wedged under there and was trying to hang over into the aisle a bit to get some more shoulder room (or room to swing my fist into the gloit in front of me :D. )
  • Options
    its not the airline that makes the width of the seats, its the aircraft manufacturer

and no they shouldn't have to make the seats bigger - why should they? it isn't the airline's or the a/c manufacturers fault that people are fat

The airlines pick exactly what they want on the plane, the colour scheme, the number of seats in first class, etc.

There was a design programme on channel 4 years ago where these two product designer designed a better airline seat but it looks lik eno manufacturer took it up cos of the added costs!!

Personally I think a desk chair styled back might be comfy on a plane cos the back would mould to your shape although bit weird for the guy behind you .. LOL
  • Options
    my dad was on a small plane once...and they had to ask a fat man to move because he would have unbalanced the plane...

...how embarrassing..getting told 'excuse me sir but would u mind moving because your so fucking fat the plane will tip over with u sitting there'
  • Options
    my quote wasnt quite literally what was said.

But a fat man was asked to move...
  • Options
    Yup.

And they should also be weighed at the check in desk and have to pay extra baggage costs if necessary.

And on a return journey they get weighed again, but if they weigh any more than when they did.when they arrived, they're going nowhere till they lose some weight.

And if they start sweating and generally annoying the other customers, they get thrown out without a parachute.

:heart:
  • Options
    its not the airline that makes the width of the seats, its the aircraft manufacturer
    From what I understand the manufacturer only supplies the basic plane, and it's the airline that buys it that either has them fit it to their specs, or has another contractor fit the interior (seats, carpets, galley, loos, etc).
  • Options
    kinda like a cradle seat? you can get seats that recline to into cradle seats in business class

the seats are the way they are for safety reasons - hence why they need to be upright for take off and landing (including emergency landings), granted I would say a few extra inches on the seat pitch wouldn't go a miss!

Actually if the seats were designed for ultimate safety they'd face backwards so in a crash your whole back takes the force of impact not that strap around your tummy.

Oh and I meant Deck Chair not desk
  • Options
    One incredibly fat person on one side of the plane. and everybody else on the other :lol:

Just like Wayne and Waynetta Slob:)
  • Options

and no they shouldn't have to make the seats bigger - why should they? it isn't the airline's or the a/c manufacturers fault that people are fat

I agree, it's not the airlines fault that some people are fat, but the point I made was that there was little enough room for people of an average or slim build.

Also a distinct lack of leg room for any but the shortest of people. Height of passengers is also not the airlines fault, but neither is it the fault of the passenger.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    They should at least make sure they are on the front row. The plane crashes and you get what feels like an elephant trying to mount you from behind!

Oh that description made me chuckle
  • Options
    er no, you'd still have to brace for triple impact, they way you would brace now on an aircraft means your head is protected from bags and overhead lockers coming down on your head, if you braced like that in a seat facing backwards and crashed, you'd probably snap (or at least cause sever abdominal injury)

If you were in a seat facing backwards you wouldn't need to put your head inbetween your knees!!

I also think a lot of these movies that show bags flying everywhere are kinda made up for a more dramtic effect, I'm sure the locks that hold them in place are a lot more stronger then they make out in movies, plus the holds slope backwards to help them falling out.
  • Options
    They should have to pay for two seats. Its not our fault that these people cant control themselfs when it comes to eating, why should they get the privilage of moving to their own row just cause they are fatties. The people next them should of been moved.
  • Options
    Originally posted by film_buff
    They should have to pay for two seats. Its not our fault that these people cant control themselfs when it comes to eating, why should they get the privilage of moving to their own row just cause they are fatties. The people next them should of been moved.

Well the real problem would be when the plane is totally full and there is no where to move to.

I think one american airline makes them buy a spare seat and then if there are several spare seats on the plane then they get a refund as they would have otherwise been moved.

I think it would be far simplier if people were told of a size limit when booking their tickets in the first place over the phone or whatever rather then turning up to the airport and having trouble there.