Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anybody who knows even anything about cars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats a reason, any reason at all, but a real one, that a car wouldn't start. But wait, theres more. This problem has to take at least about half a day to fix, but it can't be anything serious. Thanks.

ETA, if a belt snaped, how long would that take to fix? Not long enough as I wanted?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Flat battery?
  • Options
    Starter motor ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Starter motor ?

That sounds like something interesting. How long would that take to fix, and whats a cool way to say its broken.
  • Options
    Ok, I've not been very specific here, this is what I need. I'm running out of reasons not to go to work so I called them and told them my car won't start. However they told me to call back asap and tell them whats up so they can work around my absence. So I need a reason why my car won't start that would need to be taken into the shop for. However, this problem needs to take around 5 hours to fix. Well not all that time to fix, it can have some standing around time, but something where it wouldn't be done till at least 4pm (its about 1030 right now) And I also need to sound smart like I've just talked to a mechanic when I call them. All your help is very very much appreciated. (if you help that is ;))

Are garages even open on Sundays?
  • Options
    Your dog ate it and you lost it down the toilet.
  • Options
    Starter motor would work, their easy to fix you just gotta replace it, just say the shop has to order one in and it'll take them a few hours to get it delivered from one of their other branches.
    Or say you ran over a small child and the trauma wont have subsided untill at least tomorrow.
  • Options
    although the second one is most believable for me, thank you very very much :D

bring some tears over the phone and it worked like a charm, love ya jinx
  • Options
    Catalytic converter needs changing (about 30 mins but a couple of hours waiting time is easy, especially if they need to wait for the part).

Or say you had a big nail through a tyre, which gave you a puncture, you took it in and the garage noticed worn brake pads as they were sorting the tyre, so you had them changed but they had to order the pads from the other outlet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Catalytic converter needs changing (about 30 mins but a couple of hours waiting time is easy, especially if they need to wait for the part).

Or say you had a big nail through a tyre, which gave you a puncture, you took it in and the garage noticed worn brake pads as they were sorting the tyre, so you had them changed but they had to order the pads from the other outlet.
    none of those things would stop it starting.
  • Options
    now i'll just sit here and wait for karma to come my way and my car really wont start when i need it too :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    none of those things would stop it starting.

I didn't read that bit , the big puncture would stop her going any great distance though, which is the main thing.