Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good Story About Those Evil Marines From the Beeb...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never a good story reading about death in war but I understand what you mean.

Maybe you should post this on mil.com as there are posters there who believe that all European media is celebrating the deaths of marines in Fallujah.

Another thing, what kind of a monster gives a 10 year old a weapon and gets him killed? :mad:
  • Options
    ba ...you changed your av!
    is that billy connollys dad?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    ba ...you changed your av!
    is that billy connollys dad?

:lol: nah it's Harpo and Groucho's brother. ;)
  • Options
    saw this one.

Should never be forgotten that those US marines are people too, they arent all baby killing goons running around with the clear purpose of securing oil for the motherland:no:
  • Options
    I see its already been posted there by Jarhead Sr.
  • Options
    Do you have a link for that, BA? I can't see it anywhere... (wouldn't be the first time our pal Greeny removed a thread, but I hope I just missed it)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Do you have a link for that, BA? I can't see it anywhere... (wouldn't be the first time our pal Greeny removed a thread, but I hope I just missed it)

http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=78919038&f=409192893&m=221103844
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

Another thing, what kind of a monster gives a 10 year old a weapon and gets him killed? :mad:

The monsters whom we are hunting, the very same who wire up those 10 year olds, so that they become the delivery systems for IED's...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir

Should never be forgotten that those US marines are people too, they arent all baby killing goons running around with the clear purpose of securing oil for the motherland:no:

Perhaps you might read this story, too.

http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=78919038&f=409192893&m=535100744
    On one particularly grim night, a group of Marines from Bravo Company's 1st Platoon turned a corner in the darkness and headed up an alley. As they did so, they came across men dressed in uniforms worn by the Iraqi National Guard. The uniforms were so exact that they even carried pieces of red tape and white, the agreed upon signal to assure U.S. troops that any Iraqis dressed that way would be friendly; the others could be killed.

The Marines, spotting the red and white tape, waved, and the men in the Iraqi uniforms opened fire. Anderson, who had tried to save Wells a few days earlier, died instantly. One of the wounded men, Pfc. Andrew Russell, lay in the road, screaming from an almost severed leg.

Those who hate my Brother Marines, simply because they are Marines? Should spend a day in their boots...
  • Options
    I'm wondering if they were in fact ex-ING, all those guys that keep deserting or joining the insurgency after being armed and trained by the coalition.
  • Options
    Oh, Thanny posted it... There is a poster there called Jarhead, so that's the name I was looking for.

Strangely enough, I just read this story in the Independent (takes me a while to get around to reading the paper, which is a pisser when there's something good on television, and I only check the TV guide after midnight). Was thinking of going to the website and copy/pasting it, because the bit about the Marine lieutenant's reaction to discovering that one of his opponents had been a ten year old boy illustrates my point about the psychological damage this conflict is storing up.

The article is on Page 27 of the Indie, and it's a nice counterpoint to Kim Sengupta's report on the opposite page, which includes these paragraphs:

'The family of Aziz Radhi Tellaib were killed before the battle for Fallujah began. He had been driving them to Ramadi to visit relations when the car was hit by fire from an American Humvee and careered into a tributary of the Euphrates.

Mr Tellaib freed himself but could not save the rest of the family. Those who died included Mr Tellaib's wife Ahlam, 26; his sons Omar, seven, and Barat, three, and his daughter Zainab. Also killed were his niece Rokyab, 26, her three-year-old son Fadhi, and three-month-old daughter Farah.

Mr Tellaib, 33, a merchant, said: "We were stopped, in a line of cars, by some Humvees which had overtaken us. One soldier waved us forward, but as I drove up there was firing from another Humvee. I was shot in the side of the head, and my wife and elder son were shot in the chest. I think they must have died then. There was blood all over my eyes. I lost control of the car which fell into the river. I managed to get out, and then tried to get the others out, but I could not and the car sank.

"The Americans told the police that it was all a mistake, and I could get compensation. But what about my family? My life has gone. They might as well have killed me as well."

The point being that, while it's true that what 'Coalition' forces are going through in Iraq doesn't get the same amount of coverage as the suffering of Iraqis, most of those Iraqis didn't sign up to be killed. On the contrary, every Marine is prepared to die for his buddies, and to kill in a snap, but in the current situation, that commitment is ultimately self-defeating. The more fiercely, and indiscriminately they fight, the worse things get.

BTW, Thanny? I don't hate yer brother Marines. I do think you're a pillock, though...
  • Options
    Excuse the confusion Uncle Joe, wasn't being literal and forgot about the other poster of that name.
  • Options
    'Sokay, BA.
  • Options
    Throughout this entire week, we caught only two glimpses of civilians.

One was a group with white flags running away. Another was a shell-shocked man who was brought into the marines' base on a stretcher after being found wandering the streets.

The marines saw many dead bodies - often being gnawed at by dogs in the streets - but they were all of fighters, even if in this one case the "fighter" was a child.
    (BBC)
    BAGHDAD, Nov 16 (IPS) - At least 800 civilians have been killed during the U.S. military siege of Fallujah, a Red Cross official estimates.

Speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of U.S. military reprisal, a high-ranking official with the Red Cross in Baghdad told IPS that ”at least 800 civilians” have been killed in Fallujah so far.

His estimate is based on reports from Red Crescent aid workers stationed around the embattled city, from residents within the city and from refugees, he said.
    IPS

Hoo boy, soldiers who see all civilians as fighters, and a biased embedded journo - whatever next

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

Hoo boy, soldiers who see all civilians as fighters, and a biased embedded journo - whatever next

And a Red Cross who sees all fighters as civilians (no uniform? MUST be civilian) ... much to the glee of an equally prejudiced readership, who refuse the observations of embedded journalists for whom it would make their career to report "war crimes"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    And a Red Cross who sees all fighters as civilians (no uniform? MUST be civilian) ... much to the glee of an equally prejudiced readership, who refuse the observations of embedded journalists for whom it would make their career to report "war crimes"... :rolleyes:

The babies pack a mean M16 I'm sure - the journalist is famous for sucking up to the marines .........

I'm not planning to see the world from your perspective ever - first we told that the troops had to go in for the "foreign fighters", then it turned out that the foreign fighters were the marines, now you would have us believe that babies are dead cos they were "insurgents"........