Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

All offenises arestable

ok just saw the news and from now, police have the power to arrest for any offence, before this there were offensives which would invoke a warning or other penalties but now if the police can arrest you for anything

and tyhey say they are not moving towards a police state :|

hmm i cant find a direct link for it on the bbc news page but it was mentioned in the news broadcast about the New serious crime drive
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so this is what i think is a checklist for a police state

Id cards

trials without jury

secret trials for suspected terroists

trials where its based on probability not proof

apparantly can be done for thinking of being a terroist

not actually defining what a terroist is, or including opposition to government as a terroist

ability to ban protests at a whim

giving people civil orders to not do something under threat of prison if they break it

detaining people indefinetly without trial

government able to suspend all elections and existing law under the vague description of an 'emergency'

all of those would be checked by 2 years time according to current law and queens speech
  • Options
    Re: All offenises arestable
    Originally posted by Gavman
    ok just saw the news and from now, police have the power to arrest for any offence, before this there were offensives which would invoke a warning or other penalties but now if the police can arrest you for anything

and tyhey say they are not moving towards a police state :|

hmm i cant find a direct link for it on the bbc news page but it was mentioned in the news broadcast about the New serious crime drive

Heres a bit from the bbc
    But a proposal to extend police powers of arrest to include all offences has provoked fears among solicitors and other groups.

Law Society chief executive Janet Paraskeva said: "The police would have a power to arrest however minor the suspected offence.

"That is not an appropriate balance between the liberty of the citizen and the needs of the police."

But Home Office Minister Caroline Flint said safeguards had been built into the plans to protect human rights and ensure they were proportionate toe the crime problem.

"It's about making sure we are on top of the crime that blights communities," she said.

Bet the safeguards don't stop an enormous rise in arrests for minor stuff .......
  • Options
    Hate to be cynical but personal experience has shown me that the police do what they like anyway.
  • Options
    Re: Re: All offenises arestable
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

Bet the safeguards don't stop an enormous rise in arrests for minor stuff .......

How much do you want to bet we will NEVER see someone arrested for dropping litter?
    Don't be ridiculous.
    Making offences arrestable clears up things like tresspassing meaning they can be arrested on the spot instead of being reported for summons, not turning up and being arrested on warrant. A process that costs time and money.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: All offenises arestable
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    How much do you want to bet we will NEVER see someone arrested for dropping litter?

£100 to Legal defence & monitoring group the first time it happens?

:confused:
  • Options
    you'll be busted for terrible spelling then eh gav? ;)
  • Options
    David Blunkett is a mad man, like someone said before, it is worth voting against labour just to get him out.

It is very difficult to imagine a Tory home secretary being more right-wing or 'tough', that is very very wrong..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    you'll be busted for terrible spelling then eh gav? ;)

i know i'm hiding under my desk with my door triple padlocked as i write this :nervous:

but yeah sorry i can never seem to spell properly when i post in this forum :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    i know i'm hiding under my desk with my door triple padlocked as i write this :nervous:

but yeah sorry i can never seem to spell properly when i post in this forum :/

im doing the same, but only beause the durham assassins guild is scary
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    im doing the same, but only beause the durham assassins guild is scary

What's even scarier is that in 20 years they'll be running the country.

Sad sacks.

What's anyone scared of, anyway. If you've done nowt wrong, you won't be targeted. Or so says Herr Blunkett, starting up from where Goebbels and Himmler left off...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: All offenises arestable
    Originally posted by Whowhere

But ive heard about on the spot fine (not sure how much it was), when someone stubbed a fag out in my town centre.