Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please boycott these American companies..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
All of the following US multinational companies have a clear financial link with the Bush administration: they all contributed money for the 2004 election campaign for the Republicans. All numbers we use come from Center for Responsive Politics. Coca Cola is listed as a big donor in the list produced by Ethical Consumer. McDonalds is not listed as a donor, but today this fast-food chain is for many people almost the first US company they think about when asked about US multinationals. It is the symbol for US imperialism. And as most US embassies became military fortresses McDonalds became today for boycotters worldwide the most natural US embassy.

The products we propose to be boycott, make it possible for a wide range of consumers in all parts of the world to take part in the boycott, whether or not they make use of the petrol economy (cars and planes).
And of course we link it to weapons manufacturers General Electric.

Arms Companies :

General Electric (Hotpoint and other appliances) [donated 1.100.000$US]

Boeing [donated 1.000.000$US]

Oil :

ExxonMobil/Esso [donated 1.200.000$US]

ChevronTexaco [donated 800.000$US]

Symbols of US Imperialism :

Altria (Philip Morris, Kraft) [donated 2.900.000$US]

Pepsico (Pepsi, Starbucks) [donated 720.000$US]

Coca-Cola

McDonalds

Walt Disney [donated 640.000$US]

Pfizer (Pharmaceuticals) [donated 1.900.000$US]

Microsoft [donated 2.400.000$US]

Car companies and Airlines :

Ford [donated 510.000$US], General Motors [donated 510.000$US], Daimler Chrysler [donated 500.000$US]

American Airlines [donated 900.000$US], Northwest Airlines [donated 650.000$US]

Comments

• Options
    even if i stopped using microsoft products myself, it would be very hard to refuse to use any website that was run on a server running microsoft software
  • Options
    don't these guys contribute to the dems as well???
  • Options
    Originally posted by hardcorps1775
    don't these guys contribute to the dems as well???

Probably. Both parties in America rely on corporate funding and many multinationals contribute to both. The Republicans are frequently attacked for their links with Enron but the Democrats also accepted large donations from Enron.

It seems companies that want political influence in America will donate to both parties so they can try and get their way whoever’s in office.

It’s the same here though. Labour is becoming more reliant on corporate donations like the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Probably. Both parties in America rely on corporate funding and many multinationals contribute to both. The Republicans are frequently attacked for their links with Enron but the Democrats also accepted large donations from Enron.

It seems companies that want political influence in America will donate to both parties so they can try and get their way whoever’s in office.

It’s the same here though. Labour is becoming more reliant on corporate donations like the Conservatives.

too true

but then again labour abandoned the trade unions and probly their support and funding quite a while ago
  • Options
    GMB, do you use Windows? If so will you switch to an Open Source operating system like RedHat Linux if you want to boycott MS for donating this money?
  • Options
    I dont think I'll be boycotting anything, thanks.

Oh, except for fair trade goods. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Oh, except for fair trade goods. :p
    i take it thats some kind of joke?
    if not ...please explain.
  • Options
    i like fair trade chocolate, its quite yummy, usually cheap, and doing my bit to help fair trade
  • Options
    Fair trade goods are a great idea.

Fair trade chocolate, tea, coffee, bananas, etc is a little more expensive than ordinary, but the difference means absolutely nothing to us. A couple of pence here and there. The difference fair trade products make to the producers lives is enormous. The likes of Nestle pay absolute peanuts to the producers practically robbing them. Fair trade products give the people a fair price and a decent chance in life. Fair trade stuff isn’t gonna save the world but I don’t see how anyone could honestly oppose something that improves people’s lives and costs us hardly anything.
  • Options
    Fair trade is a bad idea.
    Do you seriously think the difference between ‘fair’ prices and market prices goes to peasants? What a childishness…
    It all is grabbed by local bureaucracies and local tribal elites and this makes their power over the poor stronger. All day-dreamers inventing utopias should spend a couples of years in a third-world village to understand how their projects work in real life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    ALL Brits should be extradited and sent to North Korea for their voluntary servitude, trust to authorities, faith in democracy, cowardice, sissyness and stupidity

after saying that in another thread a while back im just ignoring you
  • Options
    Sorry it was a silly joke....hmm... kinda joke
  • Options
    Do you seriously think the difference between ‘fair’ prices and market prices goes to peasants? What a childishness…
    It all is grabbed by local bureaucracies and local tribal elites and this makes their power over the poor stronger. All day-dreamers inventing utopias should spend a couples of years in a third-world village to understand how their projects work in real life.

Any evidence for that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    GMB, do you use Windows? If so will you switch to an Open Source operating system like RedHat Linux if you want to boycott MS for donating this money?

I don't use Windows ..
  • Options
    No company is going to be stupid enough not to bet on both horses in a two horse race.
  • Options
    Perhaps then LabRat the best solution would be to put all bosses, corporation CEOs and boardroom directors and big shareholders against a wall and have them shot, and ensure their absurd wages, bonuses and dividends are shared equally amongst the only people who make the product/grow the food.

Don't you think?
  • Options
    boycotts are inherenly ignorant on both sides. In the US, the conservatives want to boycotte French wines and tourism. Lot's of people in France in the tourism industry are a moderating influence on the leftists in France. Plus France has been a major partner to the war on terror in Afghanistan and in prevent Al Qaeda plans. And there are more people in the US against the war than every person in the UK and France....120 million or so. Plus, the American company Burger King was owned by a British company up until last year...bought and sold. And a French company has just signed a multi-million dollar deal with Microsoft.

It's not as simple as black and white. I'm horrified by the war and was against it. But don't kid yourself. One of the reasons Britain is there with us is because financially the two countries are intertwined. I think being engaged and having some...is the word leverage....like Tony Blair has with Bush is a realistic way to influence America. If you were ever not to be a trading partner...your opinion would mean nothing. My proof? Africa.