Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Govermental Whips?

I can see their point, in that a government needs to get through legislation and put forward a solid front and maintain momentum.

But, shouldnt Bill's be voted on on the basis of each MP's views?

Should there be a free vote on all Bill's?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Govermental Whips?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I can see their point, in that a government needs to get through legislation and put forward a solid front and maintain momentum.

But, shouldnt Bill's be voted on on the basis of each MP's views?

Should there be a free vote on all Bill's?

In my opinion, there are two schools of thought on the matter.

The first is that in order for the commons to be truely democratic, then every MP should be able to vote how they would like, and it would possibly stop unpopular government policies such a top up fees going through.

However it could in theory mean that nothing will get passed if things keep getting voted down. Though if it has to actually please the house, instead of being forced through by government whips it should be more moderate.
  • Options
    I guess getting rid of the Whips would sort of mean an end to party politics in the House, because there would be no specific reason to vote along with your party.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I guess getting rid of the Whips would sort of mean an end to party politics in the House, because there would be no specific reason to vote along with your party.

Well prospective MP's would still need to hold a certain set of beleifs which usually coincide with being in a party in order to get elected.

Also if there was no parties who would be the government? I couldn't see an assembly of 659 people working that well.
  • Options
    Well, yes, there would still be parties but the voting blocks wouldnt be anywhere near as set.