Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American / English sizes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im sorry if this has been done before but i coulnt find anything about clothes.

Im thinking about buying my boyfriend a tshirt off the net and i was wondering would the sizing be the same? If he wears an xxL over here (very broad sholders lol) would it be the same over there?

thankyou

mel

Comments

• Options
    guy's sizing is usually pretty much the same. US sizes maybe slightly bigger, but not a great deal, i woudn't think.

although i got mr. kaff a t-shirt from america the other week, it's only a medium, but it's mahoosive! his others are mainly all the same size though.

if you're buying it from a site, you can always email his measurements and ask them what size they think would fit best :)
  • Options
    it also depends on what store you're getting it from...
  • Options
    for women I know the difference is one size. so a size ten here is an eight over in the US of A.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    for women I know the difference is one size. so a size ten here is an eight over in the US of A.
    no its two sizes. a size 10 is a US 6.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85

:no:

standard sizing is two smaller. so a US 8 is supposed to be a UK twelve.

but it's not.

i'm a UK 8 and wear US 00, 0 or 2. depending on the brand. some of them are very optimistically sized. abercrombie in particular have huge sized trousers. I have some 00s from there that actually need holding up with a belt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :no:

standard sizing is two smaller. so a US 8 is supposed to be a UK twelve.

but it's not.

i'm a UK 8 and wear US 00, 0 or 2. depending on the brand. some of them are very optimistically sized. abercrombie in particular have huge sized trousers. I have some 00s from there that actually need holding up with a belt.
    I think weve talked about this before, and I think its just different brands have different sizes, because Im generally a uk 8 as well, yet i wear US 4. I dont know if thats the UK sizes that are dodgy or the US sizes that are dodgy, but either way, I generally dont buy things unless I can try them on first. Thats my main fear about buying american clothes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I think weve talked about this before, and I think its just different brands have different sizes, because Im generally a uk 8 as well, yet i wear US 4. I dont know if thats the UK sizes that are dodgy or the US sizes that are dodgy, but either way, I generally dont buy things unless I can try them on first. Thats my main fear about buying american clothes.

it's all sizes that are dodgy. it's called vanity sizing. they have found that a percentage of women (quite a large one) will buy clothes they don't really like if they can fit into a size or two smaller than they would really wear. so they're using it to their advantage.

example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11554&item=5341955893&rd=1

US size 4. so should be the same size as a UK 8. yet has a 33" waist. even if it's a low waist, would still be 4 or so inches too big.
    also:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11554&item=5341944650&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63863&item=5341945007&rd=1

and yet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63873&item=5341944478&rd=1

i never buy anything unless i've seen the actual measurements. cause it could be any size, really.

but then it depends what people base their UK sizes on. if i shopped entirely in miss selfridge, i'd be a UK 4, but if i shopped in Kookai, say, I'd be a 10.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    [Bi'm a UK 8 and wear US 00, 0 or 2. depending on the brand. some of them are very optimistically sized. abercrombie in particular have huge sized trousers. I have some 00s from there that actually need holding up with a belt. [/B]

Abercrombie's sizes are fucked. I have apair of size 8 jeans there and they fall off me without a belt - even with a belt I'm flashing underwear. I'd have been better off in a 6, but there is no way I'm a UK size 10.

Although, I do like telling people my size 8 jeans are too big. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    no its two sizes. a size 10 is a US 6.

great, first ever post in fashion and I'm wrong. Well sod that.

:p