Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New anti terror powers

I was listening to the Today program this morning and there was mention made of a new law which has been passed but for the life of me I cant find anymore information.

Basically it means that the government can over-ride any act of parliment after there has been a "major" terrorist attack. Though it didnt quantify what constituted "major".

Now, I can sort of see the point in this, but surely this means the government could go completely loopy and stop elections and god knows what.

Anyone know more about this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Google is your friend bb. Took two seconds to find what you asked for... try it!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/waronterrorism/story/0,1373,1153576,00.html?=rss

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041121/325/f71v2.html

(Note that they are withholding introduction of these powers until after the next general election thereby, as with Bush, reserving their full intents as to extent until they receive what they would deem a "mandate" (i.e. essentially using terror for its political capital). Reelect these lapdogs and you only have yourselves to blame when the policies they enact and entrench come back to bite the british populace itself at some future point.)

How Europeans can be so blind to the writing on the wall when only a few generations ago a similar ethos was drilled into another European populace's heads as "necessary" to combat "terrorists". How soon people are willing to forget where that led.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, that would be the one.

Sorry.

Slightly concerning stuff, its completely impossible to imagine Labour calling a halt to all elections and us becoming a dictatorship, but, it sounds like they could do it quite legally.
  • Options
    Isn't it an amazing coincidence that on the morning on the Queen's Opening of Parliament, in which new and ever-increasing "anti-terrorist" and "security" measures are being introduced by the government, we get some fancy story about Al Qaida trying to fly jetliners into Canary Wharf?

What
    large_A-Load-of-bollocks.jpg

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Interesting to note that it was a governmental source, they mentioned no detailing of how far advanced the plot was or if they had arrested anyone.

So it could be just a couple of blokes in a pub saying "you know, I wouldnt mind flying into that tower"
  • Options
    its completely impossible to imagine Labour calling a halt to all elections and us becoming a dictatorship

Just as it was inconceivable for German Jews that any elected German government (yes the Nazis were duly elected) would seek to systematically exterminate them (along with gays, gypsies, Catholics, et al.).

They say that hindsight is 20/20, but failure to recognise the same signs and actions reemerging today (with a mere change of packaging) makes even hindsight woefully myopic it seems.
  • Options
    :nervous:

Where's good to emigrate to?
  • Options
    At this rate I suspect the North or South Poles might be the only safe havens left.
  • Options
    I was thinking Butan might be completely out of the way, but they have just banned all tobacco sales.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    At this rate I suspect the North or South Poles might be the only safe havens left.

soon antractica will be warm enough to support us in the current way of things :p

i swear politics goes in cycles and the worrying authoritarian side of things is showing its face again despite the fact our "soft hearted liberal values" have given us such great economies and lives
  • Options
    So its facing little to no amendment in the lords, and is mentioned in no newspapers, still - so this is the current schedule for the commons and lords

Ooooh.................GAMBLING!
    Ooooh...............................NO SMOKING!
    cough *complete demolition job of civil liberties* cough
    Ooooh................................FOXES SAVED!
  • Options
    finally found one small article in the times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-1361980,00.html

Emergency powers endorsed by Lords
    By Helen Rumbelow

THE Government is to be given sweeping powers in the case of national emergency, the Lords voted last night.

The Conservatives failed in a last-ditch attempt to introduce more safeguards to the Civil Contingencies Bill, and it is expected to pass through the Commons today.

Baroness Scotland of Asthal, a Home Office minister, promised that the Government would not “run amok” with the new powers, which will allow it to suspend or repeal any Act of Parliament after a state of emergency has been declared.

The Conservatives proposed an amendment to ensure that the Government could not override “core rights” such as the Habeas Corpus Act of 1816, and the Parliament Act of 1911, which limits the duration of a Parliament to five years. Baroness Buscombe said: “We are attempting to safeguard our civil rights, the foundations of our democracy and to ensure that the supremacy and independence of Parliament is guaranteed.” The amendment was defeated by 169 to 146.

so parliamentry elections now can be stopped under the guise of security, whose security? the PMS?
  • Options
    Well, just in case, its, er, determined that a terrorist party is going to get into power.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well, just in case, its, er, determined that a terrorist party is going to get into power.

we vote in who we want, well we're supposed even tohugh really ow thats just a ceremonial act, since its the sun and times who decides who gets in
  • Options
    Well maybe that will change, The Sun's readership continues its grim slide and The Times isnt doing all that well either.