Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trying to find out about self-harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I'm a first year Journalism student and I'm trying to research self-harm for a feature I'm writing for my assessment. The idea of the feature is that I'm comparing self-harmers and skateboarders to see the similarities and differences in why people do both. Because I skate I have knowldege of the skating side, but I need some help to research the self-harm side of it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by answering some of the following questions? Your answers will be used to help me write my feature and I may use them as quotes, but I will only use your screen name. This article will not be published in any magazines or newspapers, it is purely for my exam so will only be read by my tutor. If you do not wish to be quoted or your answers used then please don't post a reply.

1) What do you do to harm yourself?
2) Why do you self-harm? What were the reasons for you starting?
3) Do you see your self-harm as a way with coping with the world? ie, to relieve tension/stress?
4) Have you ever taken it too far and seriously hurt yourself, or ended up in hospital due to self-harm?
5) How do you feel when you harm yourself?
6) Do you feel that anything else could replace your self-harm?

I know these questions may seem intruding or difficult, but I would really appreciate any feedback to them.

Thankyou.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    not only that, it seems like a strange as hell comparison.

it's like comparing homicide with cross-stitch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    not only that, it seems like a strange as hell comparison.

Yeah... sounds like a pretty interesting essay to write!

But yes, you need permission for this.
  • Options
    Hey there,
    Yup, am afraid you really do need permission to do any kind of stuff like this. You can contact our communications queen Maddy for more info on why this is. Email: maddy@youthnetuk.org

Also check out thesite's privacy info here
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :lol:
  • Options
    the idea for the article came about when i found out a girl in my class cut herself due to depression. i was really shocked when i saw her scars but then i realised that i too have many self-inflicted scars through my years of skateboarding. im not judging anyone in this article, all i wanted to find out was the reasons behind why people do it and the feelings they get, to be compared with the reasons why i skate and how i feel when i skate. the common link between these two seemingly different subjects is that both groups hurt themselves through their own way of dealing with stress, etc.

im sorry if i have caused anyone any offence but i really need your help with this article.

if you would prefer you can email me directly instead to discuss this.

thanks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mooseboy37
    im sorry if i have caused anyone any offence but i really need your help with this article.

if you would prefer you can email me directly instead to discuss this.

thanks.

Did you not read what was said? You NEED to get permission before you go asking people on here to give you information for anything like this.

Just email Maddy and then you'll probably be allowed to get on with it, but until you respect the rules of these boards no one is going to help you.