Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making Arabs feel welcomed cause of US politics.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the crazy polics in America, I decided that I would buy my gum from this tiny Arab run store...and I always joke with the owner and of course told him my dad was for Kerry (Most Arabs were for Bush the first time around and against him because of the FBI hauling people in for questions from Muslim communities and this year...arresting lot's of them. I keep saying arresting...they're holding them somewhere while lawyers go through the process to get them out. Anyways.) So my point was to make sure he felt welcome cause God knows I can't protect the dude. And he's always so nice to me.

Anyway, the other day a Latino teen came in to the store after me. The Arab owner smiled at me as always and kinda patted my shoulder and then went aggressively towards the Latino teen and said: "Hey Jose, you going pay for something. What are you looking at." The Latino guy looked hurt and walked fast out of the store. I said, did he steal from you before or something. And the owner said no...but you have to watch those people. I smiled. Paid for my gum...and decided I would still go out of my way to buy my gum from him.

So what's my point? I'm just shocked that the guy who I thought people were prejudiced against...was prejudiced against Latinos.

My dad said, in a way, then you were prejudiced cause you aren't seeing Arabs as individuals...good, bad, tolerant, intolerant. :crazyeyes

My dad gives me a headache. And he always makes me want to be more tolerant. Annnd. Makes me think being tolerant is my idea...not his.:p

Comments

• Options
    There is this quaint notion that people who experience racial prejudice never practise it (notwithstanding the very existence of Israel), and every now and again some conservative poster will pop up with the relevation that Hey! minorities can be prejudiced too! Few intelligent liberals are blinkered enough suppose otherwise, but an asian shopkeeper being suspicious of afro-carribean youths doesn't play into the hands of the 'deport 'em all' brigade, so it's not a priority to confront such attitudes. Just be aware that they exist.
  • Options
    It's such a drag. But I guess all you can do is be the one who's being good to people and not being prejudiced. I just feel soo helpless to change the big politics of the adults in the US. So I thought I could at least make some kind of difference in my town.
  • Options
    You do make a diffreence by being yourself.

What you have learned is what you believe. Pepole of different races are all the same deep down. Meaning we are all just good and bad as everybody else.

I grew up in an area with people from different countries with different religious beliefs. When I was really young I didn't understand the differences so I decided to see people how they acted instead.

That belief has carried me through life, treating people as an individual rather than a stereotype is the best way to understand them.
  • Options
    I think you're right BlackArab that we should treat individuals as individuals, but can I add that it's also reasonable to treat groups as groups. Some groups are more likely to steal /rape/murder than others and if all you know about someone is their 'group identity', be it age, race, gender etc. it's reasonable to favour the member of more friendly groups.
  • Options
    i got really scared there cause i thought you said 'gun'

but no it was gum, stoopid me
  • Options
    everyone has their prejudices, regardless of race, sexuality, gender etc.

if you are discriminated against, you'll usually find someone else you can discriminate against
  • Options
    Thanks for posting answers to this. When I put it up and read it I thought to myself: ramble much? But I just wanted to post my feelings based on something I learned for the first time. I wonder if it's something in the make up of humans that we like to see groups of people as being a certain way so we know what to expect? Or is it laziness cause otherwise you'd have to view people as being different and that takes more thought?
  • Options
    i have never understood this strange desire to chew gum all day and every day!