Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what we have in common conference.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wish the world leaders would have some type of conference regarding what their countries/cultures have in common. You could say what's the point. But, just my opinion, I think it's why my dad has so many different kinds of friends. I've started to see there's certain things about them that are the same...no matter how different they look. And I wonder if that isn't the same in the world among peoples. For instance, I'll bet in Bagdad there's the neighborhood gossip...always in someone else's business and someone like me who my dad calls the town crier...telling news. (Told him he's wrong. I'm now the world crier.)

I wonder if some kind of common conference would do any good?

Comments

• Options
    Probably not for the leaders- often they're just serving their own interests and those of their friends, and have no interest in other cultures and their wellbeing.

But a conference for common people, i.e. the voters who put them in power, would be a nice thing.

I think people should be encouraged as much as possible to spend one or two years abroad. It would certainly broaden the horizons of many. A much needed thing in today's world.
  • Options
    Re: what we have in common conference.
    Originally posted by bluestatesman
    I wish the world leaders would have some type of conference regarding what their countries/cultures have in common. You could say what's the point. But, just my opinion, I think it's why my dad has so many different kinds of friends. I've started to see there's certain things about them that are the same...no matter how different they look. And I wonder if that isn't the same in the world among peoples. For instance, I'll bet in Bagdad there's the neighborhood gossip...always in someone else's business and someone like me who my dad calls the town crier...telling news. (Told him he's wrong. I'm now the world crier.)

I wonder if some kind of common conference would do any good?
    an interesting idea but ...it's always financial interests that dictate these kind of things ...understanably to a degree.
    i'd be interested to know about your dads varied freinds ...ex marine etc ...does he drink ...does he smoke anything interesting ...do his freinds?
    YOU ...as in americans are basicaly europeans who moved house ...but the divide seems to grow by the day.
  • Options
    A very good idea I think but not one which would be taken seriously by authorities.

This is the kind of idea which will be dismissed but would do a lot more towards world peace than many others. I grew up in a multi-cultural area and my experience of this makes me more tolerant.

Having the chance to speak to those you oppose or think you oppose makes a lot of difference.
  • Options
    The man in the street isn't the cause of wars. The people to blame are the bankers and businessmen who profit, the politicians who dance to their tune and the soldiers who obey orders. If we are serious about peace it means overturning the whole basis of our societies.
  • Options
    if there was a conference of this sort, you know it would be overshadowed by the expense. The world leaders would use it as an excuse to get pampered and have really expensive slap up meals.

For it to work, the leaders would have to be shut in a conference room, with hot water and some teabags (see, i'm not completely mean ;)) and someone to say: "right, now what is your opinion on this" and to filter out all the jargon and vote-seeking policies.