Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

WASH POST : U.S. has information indicating Iran is working on developing nukes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what if this is true? I'm not for war but I'm not for endless talk that seems to go on in the UN and EU.

Comments

• Options
    you got a link?

if not is this
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57465-2004Nov17.html

what you were looking at?

i remember the last time powell said something like this, fair enough their might have been flawed intelligence, but the extent and amount of detail that the US got it wrong with iraq and WMD makes me laught to this day

colin powells 90 odd minute presentation in great detail to the UN was all effectively not made up, but paranoid delusions, oh wait that is made up, damn me it must be those neo-cons getting to my mind again

if iran do have nuclear material, and/or are planning to build missile systems to deliver it, then they would know that the US knows, what use american public support would do in the matter is irrelevant, but the panic that the US govt would instill is ordinary to help the neo-cons further their "power of nightmares (bbc)" agenda
  • Options
    SANTIAGO, Chile, Nov. 17 -- The United States has intelligence that Iran is working to adapt missiles to deliver a nuclear weapon, further evidence that the Islamic republic is determined to acquire a nuclear bomb, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said Wednesday.

Separately, an Iranian opposition exile group charged in Paris that Iran is enriching uranium at a secret military facility unknown to U.N. weapons inspectors. Iran has denied seeking to build nuclear weapons.

which means they are building missile technology, doesnt mean they have the material, and as for enriching material, that is from an iranian opposition exile group in paris

which is very different from saying the US has info on iran developing nukes, with the internet the way it is rather faceless and without infliction, i take subject headings by what they first instill within me, and that subject suggested iran had the material and was known through us intelligeance, my thoughts are for people to read articles properly
  • Options
    And? Its not all that surprising is it.

I'd be somewhat mystified if they didnt have a programme going, its by far the best bargining counter you can have in world trade at the moment.

North Korea are about to get pretty much what ever they want for stopping their programme.

Libya are getting shit loads of oil money with no strings for giving up theirs.

You dont have to worry about your pesky human rights record if you can give up your WMD programme.
  • Options
    Good for them.

And who could blame them?

Iraq: described as a "threat" and with piss-poor military = US illegal war and invasion

North Korea: much more of a real threat than Iraq could ever be, but with much better military and probably a couple of nukes = US hasn't got the fucking balls to wage war

Do you see what logical conclusion other countries might reach?
  • Options
    Look at Libya, they have given up a small programme and in exchange they get to trade with people.

No mention made of human rights, fair elections, torture...etc.

Just give up WMD and the rest of it isnt an issue.
  • Options
    Only if the country in question isn't of geopolitical or economic interest to the US.
  • Options
    Sounds awfully familiar...
  • Options
    Israel has been sold 500 ton bunker buster bombs. I think Israel will be used to bomb Iran. Perhaps after there's an election in Iraq and deep talks about a Palestinian state...I'll be in 2005 or 06.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bluestatesman
    Israel has been sold 500 ton bunker buster bombs. I think Israel will be used to bomb Iran.

you mean american engineers have figured out a way to secure a whole country to the underbelly of a b52?
  • Options
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. And I'm becoming an educated young man.
  • Options
    Surely 500 kgs? Or 5 tons at the most?

500 tons is about twice as heavy as the biggest bomber itself.

Incidentally, I think I know who you are. If you are really who I think you are, welcome back to the boards! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bluestatesman
    Israel has been sold 500 ton bunker buster bombs. I think Israel will be used to bomb Iran. Perhaps after there's an election in Iraq and deep talks about a Palestinian state...I'll be in 2005 or 06.

I think this is why a debate over what action the US and the UK take is quite irrelevant.

Israel will take action regardless, the question is what the reaction of US and UK will be to this, will they support or condemn Israel, we know that pretty much every other country in the world would condemn it so US/Uk are proabbly the only undecides in such an event.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Surely 500 kgs? Or 5 tons at the most?

500 tons is about twice as heavy as the biggest bomber itself.

Incidentally, I think I know who you are. If you are really who I think you are, welcome back to the boards! :)

Maybe 500ton is how much damage they do? in the same strain as megaton nukes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Israel will take action regardless, the question is what the reaction of US and UK will be to this
    Let me take a guess... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Israel will take action regardless, the question is what the reaction of US and UK will be to this, will they support or condemn Israel, we know that pretty much every other country in the world would condemn it so US/Uk are proabbly the only undecides in such an event.......

Support :thumbdown:
  • Options
    Aladdin thanks for telling me about Putkin. I could look it up but after school that's the last thing I want to do plus I'm here to experience world culture and different views.

Turns out, once again, the information Colin Powell is spouting...is based on bad sources...a group that the US has branded as terrorists.