Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

state of nhs dental service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4016547.stm

bloody terrible, nhs dentists may not make as much as private, but they still get a great wage for it

Comments

• Options
    Re: state of nhs dental service
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4016547.stm

bloody terrible, nhs dentists may not make as much as private, but they still get a great wage for it

It's basically compulsary for Doctors to get jobs in NHS isn't it? (if I am not mistaken) Why can't they do this with Dentists? Its terrible.
  • Options
    Re: Re: state of nhs dental service
    Originally posted by Renzo
    It's basically compulsary for Doctors to get jobs in NHS isn't it?
    Nope. But it's harder to make any money out of private practice without an NHS base.

Dentists go private because they get a lot more money and have more control over their working practices.

Having said that, the article is simply a case of rarer than rare things happening and getting splashed all over the news to make a story. Lazy journalism.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: state of nhs dental service
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Nope. But it's harder to make any money out of private practice without an NHS base.

Dentists go private because they get a lot more money and have more control over their working practices.

Having said that, the article is simply a case of rarer than rare things happening and getting splashed all over the news to make a story. Lazy journalism.

still shouldnt be happening though
  • Options
    sounds to me like its something the government really need to get their teeth into?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    sounds to me like its something the government really need to get their teeth into?

they cant really 'crackdown' on this though can they :p
  • Options
    don't get me started on the NHS dental system.

am currently hoping and praying that my remaining wisdom tooth behaves itself.

i've got a hole in one of my other teeth. it's quite big, and getting bigger, and i've rung round a few dentists. so far the earliest appointment i can have is june. :thumb:
  • Options
    they cant really 'crackdown' on this though can they :p

well im sure if they scoured some canals in manchester they would find rubbish they could get rid of
  • Options
    have a dentist had him since i was like 8, then hes went and gone fully private and sold up his practice but works in it still, now have a newly qualified german dude :eek2:

was quite scary
  • Options
    still shouldnt be happening though
    We don't know any details of the case.
  • Options
    two new practises opened in wales ...hundreds queing to get on the list.
    thatcher destroyed it and this government ignored it and let it decline further ...not what a labour gov is suposed to do.
  • Options
    I thought NHS dentists earned about £30, 000 a year?
  • Options
    Nah they earn loads. Best paying degree after 10 years is dentistry.
  • Options
    If they treat you on the NHS it actually costs the practice more than they get refunded. That is one of the main reasons why there are so few.

The new dental contract due in October 05 is supposed to address this but at huge cost to the NHS. More of that increased funding disappears...