Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hypnosis?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently been diagnosed with IBS, after a few non stop stressful and anxiety inducing few months. I've also recently been job hunting which I have had problems with since I can remember - I've always had panic attacks at the thought of working which has stopped me getting/applying for jobs. I've never understood why I have such anxieties about getting a job, but the very though of it made me nausious...

So, now, I've been to 5 interviews and one training day. It has been so hard getting myself to go to them, and the anxiety and nervousness has been hell - It's often had me in tears.

I have a naturally nervous disposition, which has caused me problems since I was a child - I've always wanted to act, or sing, but the anxiety that came from performing always stopped me.

But now, I'm thinking, enough is enough and I don't want to be anxious and nervous any more. My mum has heard about hypnosis working for people with nervous dispositions and can even help IBS. What I wanna know is, has anyone here been hypnotised before? and if so, did it work? and what was it like?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    There is a limited amount of evidence to support hypnotherapy in IBS.
    I found this in one review article of the trials:
    Hypnotherapy-treated patients had significant improvements in a composite score measuring symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence, belching, and nausea. Individually, symptoms of pain, constipation, and flatulence showed significant improvement. No significant change was seen in depression scores, but significant improvement was seen in anxiety.
  • Options
    Oooh, thats good to know.. I'll try anything to try and get rid of this anxiety... sounds hopeful..

Ilora x
  • Options
    Getting to the root cause is equally important though. Hypnotherapy can only do so much. The evidence isn't conclusive because it's difficult to compose a trial.

It's probably worth a try and certainly shouldn't do you any harm. I doubt it'll be available on the NHS, so choose a hypnotherapist carefully.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    aye, anxiety's a bitch to get over. i wish i could give you some tried and tested ways to get over it, but the truth is, some 15 years later, i'm still trying too.

hypnosis has mixed reviews from the people i know (mostly phobics). a few people swear by it, and one even says it changed her life, but then a lot say that it has made no difference, and one or two even said it made them worse.

thing about anxiety is that essentially it's all in your head. so if you really believe something (anything) will cure you, then there's a fair chance it will. whatever works, you know? i don't think there's any harm in giving it a go.
  • Options
    I had sessions years ago for anger management and it worked really well for me, really well.

It takes a hell of a lot to get me mad nowadays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    thing about anxiety is that essentially it's all in your head. so if you really believe something (anything) will cure you, then there's a fair chance it will. whatever works, you know? i don't think there's any harm in giving it a go.

This is quite true, because the root cause of this isnt anything physical you just need to believe it will work and then it will.