Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Your House Finished?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to someone's house yesterday and it was still a work in progress, plastering done and fully exposed (i.e. yet to be painted or wall papered), wood here and there to be built into something, etc

Reminded of me of the time when we had our house in a similar stae and no carpet in the sitting room for years and years as my folks waited for everything to be done.

It struck me in the UK a hell of a lot of homes are works in progress and for years and years many people are living in a house come building site.

Comments

• Options
    My house fell apart when it was brand new :thumb:

Not joking...about 6 months after we moved in, one of the panels fell off the bit above the front door. Scared the life out of us it did.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    My house fell apart when it was brand new :thumb:

Ditto. Both my room and my parents' room have a crack coming down from the window sill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Ditto. Both my room and my parents' room have a crack coming down from the window sill.

If it's just a paint crack then I think that is just normal for a brand new place.

My folks bought a holidy flat and they got paint cracks after the first year, think it's the bricks settling into place.
  • Options
    My house has already (partially) fallen down. The whole block evacuated and the building refurbished. Moved back in after 1 and a half years (that was about a year or 2 ago) and things are falling down again.
  • Options
    My house is falling to bits:

*If the main lights (as in, not lamps etc.) work in the living room, they don't work in my room and vice versa
    *After you've flicked the switch for the hall light, you have to bang the wall next to the lightbulb to make it work
    *The heating doesn't work in my room
    *The oven rattles when it's been on for 34 minutes and you have to smack the right hand side of the front panel to make it shut up
    *I went through a stage a few months ago where I had to hoover my bed every day because there was a crack in the ceiling and plaster dust kept falling through onto my bed (got hold of some Polyfilla VERY quickly!!)

And there's more....:rolleyes:

My friends think it's well funny but it's hell to live in!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My dad's new house isn't completely finished yet, and he's living in it. The "front" lawn is all dirt and he'll get a part of it covered with cement, one room's walls still aren't finished, and there are parts missing from the fireplace. Also several light switches are still open.

As for my house, it's pretty old and showing it, but nothing too extreme. The light bulbs in one specific chandalier keep popping, the ceiling above the bathtub keeps getting cracked (we repaint it once in a few years) and we have to let the air out of the heating bodies once in a while. Oh, and the building's elevator stops working sometimes, and I have to pull a lever in the machinery room to re-start it.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I use the front door in my house once, maybe twice a week (due to the fact its not in a conveniant place) and yet after about 3 years it has a 1.5 inch gap all around it, Mum rang up the houseing assosiation and they basically told her she had to fix it herself. Shes not gonna bother seeing as That door is hardly ever used, (The back door is better possitioned.)