Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your favourite programs?

What programs have you used on your computer for years? What are your must-have programs? Feel free to include any programs that come with Windows/OSX/Linux etc.

1) Paint Shop Pro. I have used it since v3 in 1998 for my old 386 computer. Went on to v4 later on in 1998 for my parent's W95 machine. Started university in September 1998 and we used v5 for W98/NT. v6 came out in late '99 so I moved onto that and then v7 came out in Sept 2000. That is what I use now. v8 takes up 10x the disk space so I don't see the point.

2) Winamp 2.xx. The ultimate music player, support skins, the wonderful Milkdrop visualisation, and can also play Real Player and Quicktime videos with the available plug-ins. I wasn't too chuffed with v3, but I now use v5 which is much more stable than v3.

3) EZ-icons. Use Paintshop Pro to make your customised icons in the start menu and folders and then use EZ-icons to exchange the Windows defaults with your homemade ones. Older version of EZ-icons supported W9x, but I now use the one the works on W2k (which I'm using).

4) Mozilla. I got 1.0 when it came out in mid-2002, then went onto 1.2 which was probably the best one yet. Had it for about 18 months. Tried 1.3 but it had some bizarre memory leak where everything suddenly slows down after you've visited a few web pages. Skipped 1.4 and 1.5. Did 1.6 for a little while and I now use 1.7 which is good.

5) Notepad. Hand-written HTML, quick diary entries and dream notes.

6) Mixmeister 3. DJ mixing software for MP3 files. I tried using Mixmeister 5 too but I didn't like the fact that it tagged my MP3s differently and thus altered the date/time stamp of said files.

7) Word/Excel. Writing letters, checking bank statements etc. I'm still running on Office 97. Can't be arsed to upgrade to O2k or OXP.

8) Adobe Illustrator 10. I used v8 for almost 5 years and now upgraded to v10. Excellent for jewel case designs... a lot more powerful than MS Publisher. The main new feature in v10 is the ability to make vectors transparent and import transparent GIFs.

9) Oxygen Phone Manager. Used for sync'ing up my Nokia phone and saving text messages as TXT/Notepad files. Nokia has their "PC Suite" but doesn't support text messages, hence going Oxy.

10) Sound Forge 4.5. Powerful sound recording utility. It lets you sample and loop your sound and has various effects and filters.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    okay...

Turnpike - Mail / News client from Demon.

IE & Opera.

Paint Shop Pro (7 I think)

Winzip

That's all just now, apart from games.
  • Options
    I cannot live without the following on my PC.

Firefox.
    mIRC
    putty (ssh client) (so i can connect remotely to my linux server)
    smartftp
    Msn Messenger
    Winamp
    VLC Media Player
    Azereus (bit torrent client)
    Filezilla
    WinMX
    And Windows Remote Desktop Connection (so i can login remotely to my windows 2003 advanced server :cool: )
  • Options
    Hmm... let me see...

1) MSN Messenger

2) Word

3) Win Amp

4) Kaspersky

5) Tune Up

6) Spy Sweeper/Ad-aware

7) Opera

8) Azureus

9) The Sims (pause on :\)

10) BSPlayer

guess it is all... nooo eMule, etc :X oh, I can't live without my pc :x
  • Options
    Winamp,
    Ad-Aware SE,
    Media player classic (no need for real player!),
    Dawn of war,
    Sims 2,

I suppose IE has to be in there too seeing as I use the 'net so much.
  • Options
    Winrar
    AudioGrabber
    Winamp
    Opera
    MSNM
    WinMX
    AdAware
    Spybot S&D
    Norton AV & Firewall
    Zone Alarm