Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Careers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what jobs and careers does everyone plan to go into once they finish training/education? If you're already in a long term job is that the one you planned to go into or do you think you'll change in the future?

My plan's to go into Journalism after doing a post grad course in it in a few years time. I quite like the idea of foreign correspondence but I'd only be able to do broadcast journalism if I toned down my regional accent a bit I think.

Comments

• Options
    At the moment, engineering, probably engine design you never know what's going to happen though.
  • Options
    i would like to be either a music producer, or a session singer, or to be lead singer in a band, but i think that the music production is the best thing to aim for....
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Eventually teaching. Primary, maybe nursery though. It depends.

After Christmas I shall be looking for graduate work (something in education but not teaching) and then (hopefully) I shall do my PGCE from September :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd want to be a computer programmer someday, but I'm still not 100% convinced that this is my inclination. I still have many years to go though.
  • Options
    i'd like to work for myself, but i may lack the motivation. failing that, being a copywriter suits me. didn't plan this, i just kinda fell into it.
  • Options
    It'd odd you posted this. Because I just posted a thread in student pleading for help because I have no idea what i want to do :(
  • Options
    If I decide to stay in hospital medicine, then I'd like to be an OB/GYN. I wouldn't mind getting into medical journalism and if all else fails, investment banking in the city :p
  • Options
    Probably software engineering, although operational research sounds interesting.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I went to college and did A Levels in Chemistry, Physics and Computing.
    I came out of college and went straight into a job as an assistant Greenkeeper. I jacked that in after a couple of years because I fell out with my boss and I've had several jobs since.
    I'm currently working as a telecoms engineer and I'll proabably try to stick this one out. It pays very well and I'm pretty much my own boss.

I chuffed I didn't go straight into a lifetime job after I left education, I didn't know what I wanted to do but I've had fun for a while and now it's time to get serious.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I want to be a Performinsg Arts Teacher or a writer.
  • Options
    When I grow up I want to be a cat.
  • Options
    Hrm... Am takin Politics & European studies if I can get on the course.
  • Options
    I want to be a paramedic :yes: oh yes I do. I wanted to be a doctor but I'm not clever enough *shrugs*
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Hrm... Am takin Politics & European studies if I can get on the course.

Am interested in things like welfare, politics, news papers... Maybe I'll work for the government or a charity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter: So what jobs and careers does everyone plan to go into once they finish training/education? If you're already in a long term job is that the one you planned to go into or do you think you'll change in the future?
    This question isn't strictly relevant to me as I'm not in education nor am I in training. However, I'm now trying to work out what to do with my life, just part of trying to beat depression for me. I'm considering going into Psychology. I've always been fascinated by it, and a career in this sounds intriguing. I'll have to get a degree first, so that means university. In the meantime, I have to get a job in something else, which is not what I want to do, but it'll help fill the time.
  • Options
    I'll finish my A Levels, then go to university to study History and English Language.

I forsee that within a short time, I'll be trying to change my course to single honours English Language.

After I get my BA/MA (depending on whether or not I end up in Scotland) I'd like to think I'll do some kind of post grad course, but I might be sick of education by then.

When I'm done at uni, I think I'd like to do something in the media. But I think it's rather more likely I'll end up teaching something at some level or another.

I used to have a dead set plan until about a year ago, then it all fell apart and left me rather unsure. *shrug*
  • Options
    Going to uni to study Politics and Sociology, then hopefully into a nice chair at Amnesty International......
  • Options
    Go to Uni to do Physiotherapy.
  • Options
    First, acheive MBBS. Second, train in Emergency Medicine. Third, become A&E Consultant.

If all this fails - I can't say what i'll aim for.
  • Options
    A midwife :D
  • Options
    I want to be a pilot. Or have a job in sport.
  • Options
    I really wish i knew. I'm getting so stressed out about it all round about now.
  • Options
    local government or teaching