Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the difference between the DVD formats - DVD-R DVD-RW DVD+R DVD+RW?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The subject says it all really...
What's the difference between the DVD formats - DVD-R DVD-RW DVD+R DVD+RW?

Having just bought a dual layer DVD Re-writer, I'm wondering which is the best type of disk to feed it for backing up data, or copying DVD disks (backup copies, obviously).

Yes, I've tried Googling for an answer, trying umpteen different search criteria, but I have yet to find a simple, concise, easy to understand, informative, web page out there.
So, does anybody know the difference between the DVD-R & DVD+R formats, and which is best for which purpose?

Also, I've got some DVD-R disks, but can't seem to get multi session to work on them. I can do it with some DVD+RW disks I've got, but not the DVD-R. Any ideas? I'm using Nero 6, but can't see any settings that may help. Or is it the case that you can't multi session with DVD-R?

Oh, and before someone tells me, I know that DVD-R & DVD+RW are re-writable. :p

Comments

• Options
    There is very nearly no differnce between the 2 apart from small technical differences which aren't really anything to worry about. DVD+r/rw will let your write in multi-session, etc.

If you want you can have a read here Here
    Here

& here
  • Options
    They've missed out the best one - DVD-RAM :-)
  • Options
    DVD-RAM ain't as compatible on DVD players... or at least so I hear.
  • Options
    One of the differences is in how much the discs will cost you, I think the RAM discs are the more expensive, could be wrong.

Anyway, most writers these days will do all the different formats, but your reader may not be able to read one or the other. Check your reader first.
  • Options
    Ah, so, from reading those, it seems that the DVD+ range are better? And more suitable for multisession? Or should I still be able to do multisession on DVD-R? (one of the descriptions seems to indicate that I should. It's all a bit confusing. :confused: I think I'll just have to get a pack of DVD+R and give them a go.
  • Options
    DVD + discs are slightly more expensive than DVD -, and will not work on as many dvd players as -. i have a + and - writer and i almost always use the - discs cause they are cheaper and more likely to work on mates dvd players etc. if you see DVD +RW or DVD -RW, it just means that discs with this on them can be re- written. with a bog standard - disc, i.e. DVD-, once you burn something onto it thats it you can't delete it. but with a DVD-RW disc, you can burn onto it and delete as many times as you like. same goes for DVD+RW. any differences between the + and - formats are so technical that the average user will not notice them. if your bacnking up your films, i would recommend - discs for the reasons above. you will have to use a compression tool to get an original dvd onto your blank dvd as most originals are dual layer ( DVD 9) but your standard - or + disc will be single layer (DVD 5). i also have a dual layer burner but havent bought any dual layer discs yet as they havent really come down in price yet. when they do, i will be all over them. check out afterdawn.com for all the info you need on burning and media types. the two tools i use are DVD Shrink, for putting a dual layer film onto a single layer disc and then DVD Decrpypter when i'm putting a single layer DVD onto a single layer blank, i.e. - no compression needed.
  • Options
    So, can anybody give me a direct answer then? Can you use DVD-R as multisession disks? Has anybodydone this yet/
  • Options
    i always thought you needed a RW for multisession as R can only be recorded on once and it automatically closes the session full stop?
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    i always thought you needed a RW for multisession as R can only be recorded on once and it automatically closes the session full stop?
    Well, I thought that DVD-R & DVD+R would be like CD-R disks, which allow you to do multisession, so you can keep adding data to the disk until it's full. But I'm having nothing but trouble trying multisession DVD-R's. It seems to create them, but then I can't read them, nor add to them. :(