Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hypocrites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Inspired by the recent thread on Shooting Burglars, where a poster was called a hypocrite:
Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
im not even religious and

" Matthew 5:38-42
38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you, don't stand up against an evil person. If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other cheek also. 40 If someone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. 41 If someone forces you to go with him one mile, go with him two miles. 42 If a person asks you for something, give it to him. Don't refuse to give to someone who wants to borrow from you"

means something to me, and its not too ambigous either

Originally posted by lukesh
if your not religious then your a hypercrite for using it.

I don't personally agree with this at all. The Bible, and presumably the other holy texts (that i haven't read so cannot comment on) are not only just about religion, but a way of life. Don't kill one another, do unto others as you'd have done to you.

Why on earth would anyone be called a hypocrite for agreeing with advice on how to live?

Comments

• Options
    it was luke though .
    a bazillion people have explained about tony martin NOT ...being confronted by a burglar but seeing one running away ...he still thinks it's ok to execute someone in that situation.
    if we were allowed to behave like that ...it would be a cracking way of getting rid of nieghbours you didn't like.
    invite them round ...chase them off with a gun ...shoot them in the back and phone the police ...'hey i found my fucking nieghbours robbing my house so i executed them ...do come round and clear the bodies for me aye.'
  • Options
    I believe that we should have the right to protect our homes and familes from people who don't belong there.

and shooting somoene in the back while there running away is perfectly normal, you're always going on about the law and how we should abide by it, well in that situation the legal thing to do would be to ring the police, not shoot him.
  • Options
    the fact is there shouldn't b there in the first place. thats the fact!
    oh thats ok then ...
  • Options
    the fact is there shouldn't b there in the first place. thats the fact!

ha! luke loses the arguement again
  • Options
    u guys cant get into yuor skulls that the theif made the firts move by going in to some one elses property...

martin didn;t ask him 2 intrude into his proeprty....

but why didn't he do the LEGAL thing, i.e ring the cops instead of the ILLEGAL thing, shooting ihm the back while running away.
  • Options
    the theif coudl ahve ahd a gun also or even a knife or any other shit..... u cant hang around and wait for the snail police who come when the incident as happened
    always happens well round ere anyway.

its illegal to theif sum 1 else shouse

first time i've ever heard the verb thief, why would you run away if you had a gun or knife, especially if you're a cold hearted thief.
  • Options
    Hey Luke, I know of a people who like you believe thieves and burlgars should be shot dead, or at least horribly tortured and mutilated.

What where they called... mmm... Tali-something or other.

I believe they can still be found around the Afghanistan area. Perhaps you should join them... they sure knew how to deal with burglars and wrongdoers! You'll be at home amongst them.
  • Options
    Way to derail the thread there Lukesh.

Roo, in the sense of being hypocritical, it would only be the case if for example a christian who is supposed to turn the other cheek does the opposite and demands repayment for the wrong done against them. Quoting a religious text while not being an ascribed member isn't hypocritical. But saying you're a member of any given religion and then not following their beliefs is. I think, quite tired at the moment.
  • Options
    I believe that we should have the right to protect our homes and familes from people who don't belong there.

Oddly enough, I agree. He was running away... He could have come back... A friend could be waiting in the car... he could have returned or grabbed a weapon from the back.
  • Options
    Re: Hypocrites
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    The Bible, and presumably the other holy texts (that i haven't read so cannot comment on) are not only just about religion, but a way of life. Don't kill one another, do unto others as you'd have done to you.

Why on earth would anyone be called a hypocrite for agreeing with advice on how to live?

i agree with you whole-heartedly.. the Bible is like.. a manual for life.. the way cars have manuals... it gives you advice on how to live your life the best way possible... and if you don't believe in the religion that the Bible represents.. but are still open-minded enough to live by it.. more power to you...
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Oddly enough, I agree. He was running away... He could have come back... A friend could be waiting in the car... he could have returned or grabbed a weapon from the back.

So shooting a child in the back is perfectly acceptable.

Plotting it so that you would is perfectly acceptable.

Using your logic I could rape and mutilate someone, and it'd be fine. They might have been a danger, and they were in my house, so I can do what I want.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Yup, and he could also have left the scene, gone away, never to be seen again.

If he left and then came back brandishing a weapon, it would have been fair enough to shoot him.

Shooting him because you have an overactive imagination is not "reasonable force" ........
  • Options
    Gosh some people are at real pains to justify cold-blooded murder aren't they?

What Martin did was murder and completely and utterly unjustifiable.

End of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Gosh some people are at real pains to justify cold-blooded murder aren't they?

What Martin did was murder

manslaughter, my good sir:p
  • Options
    Actually manslaughter is when death occurs as a result of accidental or unintended action. Taking aim and shooting someone in the back is neither of those.
  • Options
    thank you fiend and angel, the thread wasn't about Lukesh and that whole incident at all! it just happened to stem from that convo that should have stayed on that thread!

yes, angel that was what i was trying to say, i think. The Bible has had a huge influence on christian and non-christian lives alike.

and that's another idea fiend. just full of hypocrites this place :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually manslaughter is when death occurs as a result of accidental or unintended action. Taking aim and shooting someone in the back is neither of those.

Tony Martin was only convicted of manslaughter.

I'd hate for someone to fall foul of slander laws.
  • Options

Lukesh sounds even more like the hard-line David Blunkett than David Blunkett does here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Tony Martin was only convicted of manslaughter.

I'd hate for someone to fall foul of slander laws.
    I thought he was initially convicted of murder, but after a sustained campaign of bullying from the right wing press coupled with several appeals by Martin's solicitor it was commuted to manslaughter?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I thought he was initially convicted of murder, but after a sustained campaign of bullying from the right wing press coupled with several appeals by Martin's solicitor it was commuted to manslaughter?

Nope.

He was never tried for murder, only manslaughter, if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Nope.

He was never tried for murder, only manslaughter, if I remember rightly.
    Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot a teenage boy in the back as he tried to burgle his isolated farmhouse, was yesterday found guilty of murder and sent to prison for life at the end of a case that touched a raw nerve across rural Britain
    Guardian 20/4/2000
  • Options
    Fair enough.

Still, he isn't a murderer, it was commuted on appeal.

And, whatever any other argument, that kid deserved it.
  • Options
    Re: Hypocrites
    I don't personally agree with this at all. The Bible, and presumably the other holy texts (that i haven't read so cannot comment on) are not only just about religion, but a way of life. Don't kill one another, do unto others as you'd have done to you.

ah, but do you follow the 'an eye for an eye' part of the bible, or the 'turn the other cheek' part?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Hypocrites
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    ah, but do you follow the 'an eye for an eye' part of the bible, or the 'turn the other cheek' part?

they aintpart of the 'same' bible, eye for an eye is a old testament line, and in the new testament, jesus denounces it if you read the whole passage about turning the other cheek
  • Options
    And, whatever any other argument, that kid deserved it.

I don’t think anyone deserves to die.
  • Options
    Certainly not for burglary.
  • Options

yeah, i see your point. could that be used versus the "no contradictions" argument? or against the trinity theory- after all, if jesus is contradicting that, and the whole thing is supposedly word of god, and non-contradicting, then jesus was fully man with free will.

or something along those lines, it's too late for me to be thinkin really!
  • Options

there is a very long answer to this that i don't have time for, but in short

Jesus said he came to fullfil the law, not change it: he came to do what the law couldn't do. When moses wrote eye for eye etc, it is becasue there was no justice (bit like today - think TM killing someone for burglery - its not balanced) eye for eye meant justice must match the offence. Jesus however built on that - true justice is loving your neighbour.
    best i can do at the mo.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Hypocrites
    yeah, i see your point. could that be used versus the "no contradictions" argument? or against the trinity theory- after all, if jesus is contradicting that, and the whole thing is supposedly word of god, and non-contradicting, then jesus was fully man with free will.

That's bollocks and you know it roo. The major difference between the old and new testement is from the Law to Grace. That is the difference between an eye for an eye and turning the other cheek.