Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Light Bulb Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say you have a 7W light bulb but it's for the USA / Canada (i.e. 110 Volts)

We have 230V here so what would happen to the bulb if used here?

Would it blow or just be twice as bright?

And if it worked would it be consuming 7w or 14w+

Comments

• Options
    I think it would try to glow twice as bright, and burn out. But I'm no expert. I'm just trying to think it through. If it were the other way, then I'm sure the bulb would only be half as bright. The only comparison I can think of is trying to use 24v truck stuff in a car, or 6v stuff in a 12v car (Old VW's run 6v, and a lot of people convert them, and I know that the 6v stuff will burn out if not replaced).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I think it would try to glow twice as bright, and burn out. But I'm no expert. I'm just trying to think it through. If it were the other way, then I'm sure the bulb would only be half as bright. The only comparison I can think of is trying to use 24v truck stuff in a car, or 6v stuff in a 12v car (Old VW's run 6v, and a lot of people convert them, and I know that the 6v stuff will burn out if not replaced).

Oh well guess we'll have to see cos our staircase light blew and I found a brand new set of 3 bulbs we bought in Canada for $1 (about 40p)

It does seem to be be much brighter!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    It does seem to be be much brighter!!
    If it's compatible with UK voltages, then it could just look brighter because it's new, as old bulbs get darker as a film builds up on the inside.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    If it's compatible with UK voltages, then it could just look brighter because it's new, as old bulbs get darker as a film builds up on the inside.

Well the light bulb finally blew after 2 days!!!

If I had a dimer then I could get it to last longer!! Saw some for sale not long ago.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well the light bulb finally blew after 2 days!!!

If I had a dimer then I could get it to last longer!! Saw some for sale not long ago.

I guessed that was gonna happen. :p

Why buy a dimmer when you could buy the correct lightbulbs in the first place?!?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    I guessed that was gonna happen. :p

Why buy a dimmer when you could buy the correct lightbulbs in the first place?!?!

Cos even the normal ones blow too, so dimming them will make them last longer.

I actually bought some light with LEDs instead of bulbs so they should never blow BUT they're frigging too dim!!!